Hello, readers welcome to new post. We will discuss Difference between GTO and SCR. There is the use of a gate signal for GTO to get off while SCR is not off through the gate signal. For off the SCR, there is the use of a communication circuit but the thyristor can get off through a signal at a gate terminal.
Not use of distinct communication circuitry for GTO makes it effective for different applications than the SCR. Here we cover different points to find the basic differences. So let get started
Difference between GTO and SCR
What is GTO
- The gate turn-off thyristor is a semiconductor component that gets on and off through the gate signal.
- It has a PNPN configuration that gets on through the application of a positive current from the gate and off through a negative signal from the gate.
- A normal thyristor or conventional thyristor is used as an ideal switch for power electronic circuits. for on this thyristor, there is gate signal is provided but for off the device, there is the use of a communication circuit that enhances the prices of circuits and makes it heavyweight.
- To overcome these features GTO was introduced. For GTO there is no use of a communication circuit but a gate signal is used.
- For on GTO positive gate signal was used and for off negative gate signal was used. These features make it effective over the conventional thyristor
- GTO is three pins PNPN structure device its pins are anode-cathode and gate.
- It has four layers of PNPN and the anode is P layer having N defused on it
What is SCR
- SCR is a solid state instrument used for power control of dc and ac circuits. Its name is SCR since consists of SCR and its operation is like the rectifier.
- It is a very older part of thyristor groups. It comes with similar features to a thyristor tube.its structure is like the transistor
- Its name first three letters are derived from THYRatron and the other 4 are transistors
- It has 3 PN junctions with 2 stable states on and off. Its pins are anode-cathode and gate
- Its structure has 4 layers of P and N in alternate fashion creating 3 PN junctions. Its Pn junctions are denoted as J1 J2 and J3
- The use of threaded stud for SCR helps to place on the heat sink
- The use of heat since is necessary since its rating is about ten KV and three thousand ampers current that resultant to power handling capacity of about thirty Megawatt
- Its gate is closely configured to cathode pin
SCR vs GTO
- GTO is 4 layer 3 pin PNPN configured device and its anode is defused in the P SCR also has 4 layers with three pin PNPN configuration but its anode is p layer
- There is no need of a communication circuit for GTO so used foe one-kilohertz frequency applications while SCR uses communication circuits
- GTO has the same VI features to SCR with a larger latching current value and SCR has less latching current
- GTO has less voltage blocking capability then SCR
- Turn of time of SCR is the reverse recovery time and gate recovery time and GTO has storage fall time and tall time
- Gate triggering current for SCR is less than GTO
- GTO has high efficiency since has fewer losses due to the communication circuit
That is all about the Difference between GTO and SCR all details have been explained. If you have any queries ask in the comments. Thanks for reading