Hello, readers welcome to the new tutorial. Here we will discuss Difference Between AC and DC Motor. The basic difference is that input supply given to them for an operation like an AC motor needed ac supply and dc need dc supply. With that their structure is also different from one another which makes them different from one. A motor is a device that uses electrical energy to convert it into mechanical energy.
In this post, we will discuss different parameters for finding the main differences between these two motors so let get started Difference Between AC and DC Motor
Difference Between AC Motor and DC Motor
What is AC Motor
- The type of motor that operates on the ac current is called ac motor. There are two main parts of this motor stating part that is external part consists of windings where ac supply is given in the results rotating magnetic field created and the second part is the inner part has rotor connected to the output shaft to generate the other rotating field.
- To generate a magnetic field at rotor permanent magnet dc ac windings and reluctance saliency are used.
- Linear configured ac motors work on the same principle as rotating motors following with the difference that their static and moveable parts are configured in linear fashion causes to produce linear motion in place rotation
- These motors work on the single-phase and three-phase power supply as single-phase and three-phase induction motors
- They not need commutation as in dc motors
- These motors have three input terminals
- No need of carbon brushes
- Used in industries
AC Motor Working Principle
- The commonly used types of ac motors are induction motor and synchronous motor. In the case of induction motors working principle is that difference between in speeds of stator rotating magnetic field and rotor shaft speed called slip produces the rotor current in motor’s rotor.
- So there is no creation of torque in induction motor close to synchronous speed where slips not produced.
- The operation of the synchronous motor does not depend on the slip but uses a permanent magnet. salient poles.
- The torque generated by the synchronous motor is rated at synchronous speed.
What is DC Motor
- DC motor is type of rotating motor that transforms the dc input supply in the mechanical energy. Its basic category depends on the forces generated by the magnetic fields
- These motors come with an inner structure that vary the direction of current in any part of the motor such as electromechanical and electronic.
- These motors are very commonly used since they get power from the dc current getting from the distribution power system.
- There are different techniques used for regulating the speed of motor like variable volts and through changing the current strength in windings field.
- Small structure dc mtors are employed in different devices and toys. The universal motor can work at the dc supply with that has less weight and comes with brushes employed for different power tools
- Large size dc motors are used for electrical vehicles, elevators and running the steel mills’ rollings
- Power electronic has been increasing the use of ac motors in place of dc motors
- It get power from battery and cells
- These motors consist of commutation also have carbon brushes
- It is a self-started motor not need external excitation
- If damages are not easy to maintain
That is all about the Difference Between AC and DC Motor. all details have been explained if you have any query ask in the comments. Thanks for reading.
Special offer: $2 for 1-8 layer PCBs
Free SMT Assembly Monthly
New arrival for Aluminum boards, only $2