Hello, readers welcome to the new learning module. In this tutorial, we will discuss the Difference between Mainframes and Mini Computers. These two modules are types of laptops but mainframe computer provides larger features and high capability as well as a memory than minicomputers with high speed. Mainframe computers were created to generate to handle the process mostly used for services.
After that minicomputers were created having small sizes that operate as individual and high-end devices. In this post, we will discuss both and finds their differences. So let’s get started Difference between Mainframes and Mini Computers. So let’s get started Difference between Mainframes and Mini Computers.
What is Mainframes Computer
- The mainframe computer is a type of computer that have a larger structure high speed and high memory size.
- The size of this computer can occupy your complete bedroom. This computer is mostly used at the central point of any application that has a CPU attached to many points like input and output devices. This feature makes it useful that many users can use this one unit of CPU
- This computer is also called a multiprogramming and multiuser computer. It has features to handle thousands of users
- Its common applications are railways airline backing and some commercial uses since their huge data is handled
- There are two types of terminals used for mainframe computers dumb and intelligent terminals. The dump terminal comes with input and output devices but no data is stored at these this terminal
- Intelligent terminals have input and output devices but process data. These two terminals can not store data
Features of Mainframe Computer
- These computers need trained operators and certain space to operate
- This computer can control the operation of many devices and users
- Through this computer, you can handle high data and millions of operations
- The faults existing in this computer can be easily solved without having any impact on the operation
- It has compatibility with lager size memory unit
What is Minicomputer
- The minicomputer is called Mini is a type of small computing module. It was created at mid of the 1960s.
- These computer comes in small size but is equipped with all features of larger size computer.
- Minicomputers are mid-level computers between mainframe and microcomputers. that has later size than a microcomputer and less than a mainframe
- There are two or more processors that exist in the minicomputer that why is known as a multiprocessor computer.
- These computers are used in different organizations and offices to perform the basic operation like billing, inventory accounting, etc
- These computers is known as minicomputers since their circuits consist of transistor and core memory
- Common types of minicomputers are Tablet PC Desktop Mini PC iPad
Features of Minicomputer
- Some features and characteristics of a minicomputer are discussed here
- These computers used by any single person and small offices
- This computer performs the multitasking
- it is small in size than a mainframe computer
- Their prices are also lessened main frame and other high computers
- It is less powerful than a mainframe but high powerful than a minicomputer
Advantages of Minicomputer
- The main benefit of this computer are discussed here
- It has high reliable operation
- High-speed computer
- Can be transferred to any other place since it si portable
- It is small in size and easy to repair
Disadvantages of Minicomputer
- With benefits, it has some drawbacks
- Their display screen is smaller so some tasks that need larger screens can’t perform on this computer
- Their memory is less and stores limited data
- Their keyboard is small in size
- It cannot easy to use since having different types of operating system
- It did not support the CD/DVD
- Some minicomputers also do not have USB ports
Difference between Mainframes and Mini Computers
- The mainframe is a server-based computer. That has high processing power larger memory and can handle larger operations. While minicomputer is small size computer that has less features than a mainframe computer. That was used in the 1960s
- Process speed is high, high reliability, and durable operation is done by mainframe computers while minicomputers are high prices, less weight, easy to take to another place, high speed performs multitask,.
- The architecture of the main computer is severed or hub while and minicomputer is small in size, then mainframes but performs numerous operations and provides the batch processing
- Common applications of mainframes are ERP, banks, Education systems, Airline, hospitals, military, and applications of Minicomputers are data retrieval, file handling, database, engineering problems solutions
- IBM zSeries, System z9 and System z10 servers Are main fraim computer and IBM’s AS/400e, Honeywell200, TI-990 minicomputers
That is all about the Difference between Mainframes and Mini Computers all details has explained That will helps you to find the basic differences between a mainframe and a minicomputer.