Hello, readers welcome to a new post. We will discuss Difference between SCR and Triac. The SCR is a unidirectional semiconductors component used in different electronic projects while TRIAC is two-directional semiconductors modules. The full form of SCR is silicon-controlled rectifiers and TRIAC is triode for AC current.
These components are mostly used in power electronics circuits. Here we will cover different parameters to find the main differences. So let’s get started Difference between scr and triac.
Difference between scr and triac
What is SCR
- The full form of SCR is silicon controlled rectifier that is the main part of the thyristors’ family.
- SCR is mostly used more than other types of thyristors like Diac and SCS and TRIAC.
- SCR is created through the use of silicon and common use is to transform the AC current to DC current or can say do the rectification like a diode.
- It is also used in other circuits like power regulation inversion.
- The SCR has features to regulate the large value of current and volts so used in industries
- In some cases, SCR and thyristors are considered as same but SCR is considered the proper subset of thyristor
- SCR is a unidirectional module and can be operated through the use of a positive current at its gate.
- The symbolic representation of SCR is like a diode with a gate pinout.
- It is a unidirectional device that passes the current single direction. It has three pinouts Anode cathode and gate. Gate is used to on and off this module
What is TRIAC
- The triac is also called bidirectional triode thyristors and bilateral triode thyristors which are 3 pins electronic devices that have features to move current in any direction.
- TRIAC is a group of thyristors similar to relay since managing the small value current and volts used to control larger current and volts
- Its main difference from SCR is that SCR conducts current in one direction and TRIAC in another direction.
- For triggering the TRIAC negative and positive andy volts can be given while for SCR positive needed .
- The structure of GTO is like the TRIAC but helps to manage more control through off the gate signal
- TRIAC is used as switch for AC circuits. The use of trigger at a controlled phase angle of AC in the circuit permits control of current passing in the output.
- Its common applications are speed control of universal motors, dimming lamps, and regulation of electric heaters. These are also called bipolar components.
SCR vs TRIAC
- SCR regulates the current in one direction and TRIAC conducts in two directions.
- Used for circuits where high power was used while TRIAC was not used
- SCR uses positive supply for operation while TRIAC can work for positive and negative.
- SCR has one mode of operation and TRIAC has four
- SCR is used in dc circuits and TRIAC in ac circuits
- SCR need polarity configuration due to one direction modules while TRIAC can be linked to any direction
That is all about the Difference between scr and triac all details has explained if you have any queries ask in comments. Thanks for reading have a nice day.