Hello, readers welcome to the new post. Today we will discuss Difference between ROM and PROM. These two are storage devices that are used for data storage before the use of SD cards and hard drives. ROM is read-only memory that is memory chip stores the data permanently. But PROM full form is programmable read-only memory that is a type of read-only memory. It can be modified one time not again and again
In this post, we will discuss different parameters to find the differences between ROM and PROM. So let get started Difference between ROM and PROM
What is PROM
- PROM stands for programmable read-only memory. PROM is a written able category of ROM.
- The main motive for the creation of this memory unit was to cover the requirement of a group of numerous ROM which consists of any selective area of memory
- This memory type writes once and is electrically programmed also the same time
- During the manufacturing of the first unit needed content file can be equipped and placed in the machine. It is known as a storage coder.
- PROM used in digital electronic devices for data strong normally low-level programs like firmware or microcode is stored in this memory unit
- Its basic difference from ROM is that data is written into ROM during creation but for PROM data is programmed after creation
- ROM employed for larger production runs having verified data. PROM is used where volume needed not to create factory-programmed ROM
- PROM is created in blank structures on the basis of technology that can be programmed at wafer final testing or in the system
- Blank PROM get programmed by plugging into a device called a PROM programmer.
- Manufacturers can retain the supply of blank PROM in stock and program them at the final moment to minimize larger volumes
- PROM are commonly used in controllers, video games, mobile phones, RFID tags high definition multimedia, etc
What is ROM
- ROM stands for read-only memory that stores data permanently. It is the primary memory unit of a computer with RAM.
- It is known as read-only memory since we can read data stored on it but cannot change that data. It stores information permanently in unit
- The creators of ROM added the program in the rom when they created the ROM. After that added data cannot be verified. In other words, we can not rewrite or erases any content on ROM
- But some types of ROM exist where we can very the data
- ROM consists of certain inner electronic fuses which can not be programmed for certain interconnection data
- The binary information stored in the chip is signified by the designer and then configured in the unit at the time of construction to make the needed interconnection layout.
- ROM is a non-volatile memory unit that stores the data after the power supply turns off.
- The information stored in the RAM in the shape of bits through a method called programming the ROMas bits is configured in the hardware of the module. It can say that ROM is a PLD device.
Advantages of ROM
- it has retained data permanently and can be verified at any instant
- it is static memory not need any refreshing
- It has more reliability than RAM
- Its testing process is easy
- Less cost than RAM
- It is a non-volatile memory which means stores data if the power is off
Difference between ROM ad PROM
- The main differences are discussed here
- ROM stands for read-only memory and PROM full form is programmable read-only memory
- ROM stores data permanently and PROM is a category of ROM that is modified one time.
- ROM can be written and erased one time but PROM is programmed one time through the use of inner fuses permanently and is called Programable rom and programmed through the program
That is all about the Difference between ROM and PROM all details has explained. If you have any query ask here.