Hello, readers welcome to new post. Here we will learn Difference between Step-up and Step-down transformers. The transformer is an electrical device that is used for changing the voltage level in the power system. Different types of transformers are used in the system. Distribution transformers are used in load side for power delivery to the load and power transformers are used to deliver power from the generation end to the load.
The transformer is used to change the voltage level from high to low called to step down and the transformer is used for increasing the voltage level from low to high called to step down transformer. So get started Difference between Step-up and Step-down transformers.
Difference between Step-up and Step-down transformer
What is Step Down Transformer
- The step-down transformer is used for decreases the voltage level from high to low.
- In this transformer windings at primary windings is high than the secondary windings.
- The voltage at the generation site is almost twenty kilovolts. For transmitting the voltage at longer distances voltage level increases to 440 kilovolts.
- At the distribution point, 440 kilovolts is decreased to 11 kilovolts through use of a steps-down transformer.
- These fewer voltage values than send to the loads.
- In step down transformer, input volts are high and output are low
- High volts windings are called primary
- Current high on the secondary and volts low
- 110v ,24v, 20v, 10v, are ratings of step down transformer
- Secondary windings is made of thick copper having the insulation
- Transformer works on the phenomena of mutual induction says that change in current in the windings produces the voltage in windings that induce to the other coil.
- In a transformer there are two windings are used primary and secondary windings that are connected magnetically.
What is Step Up Transformer
- A Step-up transformer is used for increasing the voltage level from low to high.
- Its input is low and its output is low volts
- High volts windings is secondary windings
- Current is low for this transformer at secondary
- Ratings of step-up transformer is 11000 volts or high
- It needed a cooling system
- Work only on the AC current
- Its size and construction is larger
- this trasdnformer is used in the inverter and voltage stabilzers for highvoltate stabilit
- Used for power distribution
- Used in generation end for enhances the voltage level low to high
- It used in motors, X ray machines, and ovens
- There are some points that must keep in mind while using the step-up transformer
- Number of Phases
- Transformers Rating
- Cooling Medium
- Material of Windings
That is all about the Difference between Step-up and Step-down transformer all details has been explained. IF you have any further queries ask in the comments. Thanks for reading have a nice day. See you in next post. It is the basic difference is that the step-down transformer is used for voltage level increment and step down used for level decrement of volts. Step up is used at the generation side and step down used at the distribution side.