Hello, readers welcome to new post. Today we will learn Difference between HDLC and PPP. The basic differences are HDLC is bit directed protocol and PPP is based on bytes. With that HDLC is used through point-to-point configuration and also used for numerous point arrangements while PPP is only used for point-to-point configuration
In this post, we will discuss different points and finds the main differences of HDLC and PPP. So let’s get started Difference between HDLC and PPP
Difference between HDLC and PPP
What is HDLC
- HDLC stands for high-level data link control which is a layer of two wide area network protocols used for synchronous data links.
- It is the basic WAN configuration that links distance users to leased lines.
- It has two main types first one is standard and the other is Cisco based. Both types have the same frames
- In Cisco configured HDLC there is one extra field is used
- Cisco HDLC is enabled to WAN protocol that is used for point-to-point WAN links. Cisco HDLC is only used for Cisco manufactured devices.
- Address bits information control bits and flag bits are comprised of the HDLC frame. It also consists of the frame check sequence
- It also helps users to find the errors in transmitting the frame. For instance, it losses and bit swapping errors
- The receiver finds the FCS and detects it through the use of FCS existing at sending end
- If a difference occurs then the receiver can transmit the negative point to sending end
- When negative feedback gets at sending end it again sends the frame removing the error
- Frames used in HDLC are three information frame or denoted as I frame that transmit user data through the networking layer
- It also has features of flow and error regulation techniques.
- The second frame called the supervisory frame denoted as the S frame permits movement and error regulation if the sender to not has data for sending
- There is a third frame that is used for link management called U frame
What is PPP
- The full form of PPP is a point-to-point protocol. Used as data link layers and called byte-oriented communication protocol.
- It comprises of single and more bytes and is used for flag, address payload and FCs
- Through PPP gives features like the authentication of connection, encryption transmission, and compression
- It is used in different systems like serial cable, phone lines trunk lines, and mobile phones
- ISP uses this module for users’ dial-up access to the Internet
- There are numerous types of PPP such as multilink PPP helps for distributing traffic through a group of certain PPP links
- It restricts operating multilink PPP numerous times through a single link
- For instance, it can be employed to link a computer with ISP through the use of 2 normal 54k modems
- With that multiclass PPP permits every type of traffic through use of distinct sequence number space and similar buffer
PPP vs HDLC
- HDLC is created by the ISO and bit-oriented PPP is a data link layer communication protocol used to make direct connections among the 2 nodes
- HDLC is bit-oriented and PPP is byte-oriented
- HDLC is used through point-to-point link arrangement and for multi-point links while PPP is used through point to point
- HDLC operates at 2 layers PPP operates for two and three layers
- Dynamic addressing is not used through HDLC and PPP is used for dynamic addressing
- HDLC is offered for synchronous communication and PPP is employed for synchronous and non-synchronous communication
- HDLC is not used for error detection and PPP offer specification for error sensing through FCs
- HDLC is not used for other Cisco modules while PPP is compatible with the non-Cisco modules
- HDLC has two categories HDLC and CISCO HDLC PPP used for HDLC
- HDLC is expensive and PPP is less expensive
That is all about the Difference between HDLC and PPP all details has explained. If you have any queries ask in the comments. Thanks for reading have a nice day