Hello readers, welcome to the new post. Here we will discuss Matte vs Glossy in PCBs. In electronic engineering, for PCB boards, the use of matte and glossy finishes are essential parameters for the operation of electronic devices. In this post, we will discuss the matte and glossy finishes used in the board and their features. So, let’s get started with Matte vs Glossy in PCBs.
Understanding PCB Finishes
PCb finishes work as a protective layer on copper traces and board pads, protecting them from different environmental conditions like wear, tear, and corrosion.
1. Definition and Characteristics
The matte finish on the board is a non-reactive rough surface that diffuses light to reduce glare, it is done with the use of coating on the board surface
These finishes are used where glare or reflection can affect the device’s working. They are used in outdoor displays, military devices automobiles.
- It reduces glare, so the display can shown easily in sunlight
- Rough texture has a good grip, so the matte finish board good for handheld modules
1. Definition and Characteristics
The glossy finish is a smooth and reflective surface that has a shiny look on board. This finish is made with different coating processes.
They are used where aesthetics and visuals are essential, such as high-end audio equipment, consumer electronics, and decorative LED displays.
- It has a bright layout to electronic devices and enhances visual layout.
- Its smooth surface can be cleaned and maintained, making it good for devices operated for indoor uses.
WHAT IS A GLOSSY FINISH IN PCBS?
The glossy finish in boards is a protective coating used to board the surface to increase its operation and design work. It is made with clear resing cured hard and provides a smooth finish.
A glossy finish has different benefits, making the board resistant to scratches and abrasions that affect operating life. It also provides a barrier to contaminants and moisture that avoids corrosion and other effects.
There are two main types of glossy finishes used in boards
- UV-cured finishes: This finish is used on board and then cured using ultraviolet light. This process is high-speed and effective, provdies a quality finish
- Solvent-based finishes it used on board and then cured with the use of solvent. It takes time to apply and casues a durable finish
WHAT IS A MATTE FINISH IN PCBS?
A matte finish in PCBs is a protective coating used on the board’s surface that does not appear shiny. It is created with pigmented resin cured to a soft, porous finish.
The matte finish has different benefits. It makes the board less reflective, which can help to increase the visibility of components and solder joints. It also helps the board to be less susceptible to fingerprints and smudges. With that, the matte finish can give the board a rugged or industrial look.
There are 2 main types of matte finishes used in PCBs:
- Water-based finishes it used on the board and then cured using water. This process is relatively easy and less costly, and it causes a good-quality finish.
- Solvent-based finishes it used on the board and then cured using a solvent. it takes some time to apply, but it makes durable products
BENEFITS OF A GLOSS FINISH ON A CIRCUIT BOARD
- This finish gives the board a professional look.
- It protects the board from scratches, abrasion, and moisture
- A glossy finish increases the operation of the board with reduced EMI and reflections
- These finishes are easily cleaned, increasing board operating life
- It increases board operating life by protecting wear and tear
- it is less susceptible to fingerprints the keeping board is clean and professional.
- It minimizes solder joint faults by offering a smooth surface for the solder to move over
ADVANTAGES OF A MATTE FINISH ON A PCB
- it does not have a shiny look that can reduce reflection, and components can seen easily. It is best for applications where the board will used in bright light.
- it can easily be cleaned which increases the operating life of board. It is good where the board has dust and dirt.
- It is less affected by fingerprints making the board a good structure. it is used where the board is handled frequently in consumer devices.
- It offers a board with a rugged look needed for harsh conditions like outdoor applications.
- It is lower cost than glossy finishes, so preferred
How to check whether the matte finish is used in designing the PCB?
- The board design normally has a layer known as a solder mask. Solder mask layer used to protect copper traces from oxidation and solder bridging. Solder masks can be matte or glossy. If the solder mask layer is applied to the matte board comes with a matte finish.
- The board manufacturer explains the type of solder mask they used for board manufacturing.
- The matte finish board is dull and non-reactive surface. The glossy finish board has a reflective surface.
Factors To Estimate When Choosing a PCB Finish
- Surface finish can easily solder, and it must solder to wet and flow correctly. It is best for electrical connection between component and board.
- This finish must be robust to handle the harsh conditions of the manufacturing process.
- it must be less costly for larger production
- if the board is used in lead-free condition surface also lead-free
Types of PCB finishes
- HASL (Hot Air Solder Leveling) is a commonly used surface finish. It is less costly and has good soldering featues. But it is not robust and is affected easily.
- ENIG (Electroless Nickel Immersion Gold): It is a price finish but has good solid featues than HASl and is lead-free
- OSP (Organic Solderability Preservative): It is a new finish type growing fast. It is more environment friendly than HASL and ENIG since it has good soldering features.
- Tin-Lead is a legacy surface finish that is not used since it does not follow the different rules of the environment. But till used where lead is involved
Glossy vs. Matte Finish
|Feature||Glossy Finish||Matte Finish|
|Appearance||Shiny, reflective||Dull, non-reflective|
|Color||Colors appear brighter and more vibrant||Colors is muted and subdued|
|Durability||durable and scratch-resistant||Less durable and prone to scratches|
|Reflectivity||Reflects light, making the surface appear larger||It does not reflect light, making the surface appear smaller|
|Maintenance||Easy to clean and maintain||difficult to clean and maintain|
|Suitable for||Modern, elegant settings||Rustic, traditional settings|
- Which is better matte finish or glossy?
A glossy finish has an ultra-smooth shiny look. Its color is rich and vibrant. While matte papers give off a dull, subtle finish.
- What is the difference between matte and gloss solder masks?
A matte solder mask is a dull, non-reflective finish used on the top of a printed circuit board. Protects copper traces on board from corrosion and oxidation and it helps to easy soldering of components.
The gloss solder mask has a shin look, and reflective finish that is used on the board and comes with an attractive look but it is not as effective for the protection of traces as the matte finish.
- What is the difference between a matte and shiny surface?
A matte surface does not reflect light good. It comes with a dull, non-reflective finish. The shiny surface has good light reflection and also glossy and reflective finish
- Which is better matte or glossy bike?
Matte bikes are less reflective and can handle more scratches and dents. Glossy bikes are reflective and can make the bike look more stylish.
What are the advantages of a matte finish?
- Less reflective, affected by fingerprints
- Les imperfections
- Rustic look
- Durable and resistant to scratches
What are the advantages of a glossy finish?
- High reflective, vibrant, and bright look
- Easy to clean
What are the disadvantages of gloss paint?
More reflective and likely to affect fingerprints and smudges.
Its application is difficult
Expensive than matte paint.
Is glossy more expensive than matte?
glossy finishes are more expensive than matte finishes. The glossy finish needed more paint coating, and it also needed certain paint, which is highly reflective
- What is the top mask of a PCB?
it is a layer of material that is used over the board’s top layer for the protection of traces and provdies surface to use a sodler mask and silkscreen printing. It is made with material like epoxy or acrylic.
- What is top solder layer in PCB?
It is used for the connection of components on board. The SOlder layer is made with materials like tin or lead.
- What are layers in PCB?
A PCB board is made with many layers of materials like copper, substrate, and solder masks. The number of layers in a board is based on the board’s complexity. A simple board can only have some layers, while a complex board comes with many layers.
- What is matte vs glossy advantages and disadvantages?
|Matte||Less reflective, durable, and resistant to scratches, more forgiving of imperfections,||It can look dull or unfinished and can be difficult to clean|
|Glossy||high reflective, makes colors bright and vibrant, can look more modern or sleek||likely to have fingerprints and smudges, difficult to apply evenly, high cost|
What is the difference between glossy and matte finish on metal?
Property Description Reflection Susceptibility Application Glossy Smooth and shiny Reflects light susceptible to fingerprints and scratches Good for highlighting details Matte Dull and has a rough texture Absorbs light resistant to fingerprints and scratches Good for making a subtler look
What is the difference between matte and polished metal?
Property Polished metal Matte metal Surface Smooth, shiny Rough, dull Reflectivity High Low Susceptibility to scratches High Low Suitability for highlighting details Good Poor Suitability for creating a subtle look Poor Good
What are the disadvantages of matte finish?
- It is difficult to clean
- Affected due to fingerprints
- Less vibrant
- Less reflective
What are the disadvantages of matte paint?
- Not easy to apply
- It is difficult to touch up
- Fading and chalking
- Less reflective
What type of finish is matte?
- it is a finish that has less shine
- These finishes are used on metal, wood, and plastic
- Differnt techniques used for this are sanding, painting, and powder coating.
What is glossy used for?
- its main feature is shine
- it is used on automotive parts, furniture
- polishing, painting, and clear coating used to apply it
Why use glossy paint?
- For shiny, reflective surface.
- Make color vibrant
- and easy to clean.
- More durable than matte paint.
What is glossy paint used for?
- Glossy paint is used for different applications and are
- Automotive parts
- Sports equipment
- Exterior walls
- Interior walls
What are the pros and cons of matte paint?
Pros Cons Easy to clean Not shiny as glossy paint resistant to fading and chalking difficult to apply Can hide imperfections on the surface accepted by fingerprints and smudges
Why is gloss paint more durable?
- Harder, protective finish than matter paint
- Resistant to scratches, fading
Is gloss paint moisture resistant?
- Yes, gloss paint is high moisture-resistant than matte paint. its glossy finish make layer that avoids moisture to passes surface
What is 2 layers in PCB?
- It comes with two conductive layer
- Insulting material is put between conductive layers
- and two layer boards used in low-complexity applications.
What are the three layers of PCB?
- it has three conductive layers
- Tow insulation mateiasl separate layers
- Used in medium-complexity applications.
What is dry joint in PCB?
- it is connection between two conductive pads on board that not have solder
- Dry joints come due to poor quality components, incorrect soldering methods, or environmental conditions.
Is matte cheaper than glossy?
- Matte paint is less costly than glossy paint.
- As matte paint needed less material and labor to apply.
Which is better semi-gloss or matte?
- Easy to clean
- Cover error on surface
- reflective than needed
- difficult to apply than matte
- Not reflective like semi-gloss
- Easy to apply
- resistant to fading and chalking
- Difficult to clean than semi-gloss
- Affected by fingerprints and smudges