Hello guys, I hope you all are doing great. In today’s tutorial, we will discuss the Difference Between RAM and ROM. There are 2 basic types of memory first one is ROM and the second one is RAM. RAM is volatile memory that means store data when power is providing to the computer. ROM is non-volatile memory that retains data when there is no power given to the computer.
In today’s post we will have a detailed look at both ROM and RAM memory with the detailed and find their different parameters. So let’s get started with the Difference Between RAM and ROM.
Difference Between RAM and ROM
- RAM stands for random access memory it is volatile memory means lost information when there is no power at the computer.
- It is a type of memory unit that stores data and reads and normally used for storing data.
- Dara can be read and write on it.
- It comprises of multiplex and demultiplexes circuits that help to make the connection for reading and writing.
- It is an eight and sixteen-bit of data device generally single address of bit can be added through it
- It comes in ICs form having MOS memory units.
- Random-access memory permits the computer to read the information very fastly.
- RAM performs both read and write functions.
- Its operating speed is fast.
- It is a temporary data storage memory.
- Its price is high.
- Its types are SRAM and DRAM.
- The physical dimensions of RAM are larger than the ROM.
- Its shape is like a rectangle and inserted into the motherboard of a compute
- It is volatile of nature stores data till supply is given to it.
- It comes with two main types random access memory and static random access memory.
- Its memory capacity is one to two fifth six gigabytes per chip.
- If power is cut off due to some reason the stored data will be lost in the RAM.
- To get data from the RAM processor get direct access to the RAM..
- It is also known as primary memory.
- ROM stands for read-only memory. It is non-volatile memory.
- It stores data on a permanent basis and employed for storing of different software.
- Normally used video games are stored on rom
- It comes with the ics having dot matrix configuration.
- Its memory capacity is four to eight MB per chip.
- It is a read type of memory.
- Its operating speed is less than the RAM.
- Its types are PROM, EPROM, and EEPROM.
- It is a permanent type of memory storage.
- It also called secondary memory.
- It disconnection of power the data still stored in the ROM.
- There is no direct access of the processor to the ROM.
- Its price is less than the RAM.
Features of RAM
- These are some features of RAM.
- RAM is used to start and loading of the operating system of a computer.
- Its speed is high to read and write the information.
- RAM possesses the data until the power supply is on.
- In RAM, we can store numerous GBs of data.
- The thirty-two bit of personal computer has four gigabytes of RAM and sixty-four bit personal computer has sixteen exabytes of random access memory.
Types of RAM
- These are some types of random access memory.
- DRAM that stands for dynamic random access memory. It should be regularly refreshed otherwise all data will be lost.
- SRAM stands for static random access memory and its speed is high. It requires less power but its price is high. But there is no need to refresh it like the DRAM.
- SDRAM stands for synchronous dynamic random access memory operate with very high speed.
Advantage of RAM
- These are some advantages of RAM.
- There is not moving part exits in the RAM so its working is noise less.
- The usage of power from RAM is less than the disk drive.
- RAM increases the operation life of the battery with the reduction of carbon emission..
Features of ROM
- These are some features of Read-only memory.
- In ROM only one time data can be written, after written we can read data numerous time.
- The read-only memory is used in the starting procedure of modern computers.
- ROM can store four megabytes of data or more.
Types of ROM
- These are some types of ROM.
- EPROM stands for erasable programmable read-only memory, data can be stored in it and it provides the facility to remove stored data with the use of ultraviolet light.
- PROM stands for programmable read-only memory. At this type of ROM, we can write data with the use of a specific device.
- EEPROM stands for electrically erasable programmable read-only memory. It can store and remove information with certain circuitry.
- MROM stands for MASK ROM is a category of read-only memory the data on this ROM can be written with by the ICs creators.
So that is detailed post about the difference between RAM and ROM. If you have any query ask in comments. Thanks for reading. Have a good day.
Special offer: $2 for 1-8 layer PCBs
Free SMT Assembly Monthly
New arrival for Aluminum boards, only $2