Hello, friends, I hope you all are doing great. In today’s tutorial, we will discuss the Difference Between PN Junction & Zener Diode. The main difference between Pn junction diode and Zener diode is that in Pn junction diode current can flow in only a single direction while in Zener diode can both forward and reverse biased condition. Pn junction diode is used as a rectifier that transforms ac into dc. It is a switching device that permits to flow current in forward biasing conditions.
While in Zener current can pass in both reverse and forward biasing conditions. Zener diode used as a voltage regulator since in electronic circuitry it delivers the constant value of voltage from input to the output. In today’s post, we will have a detailed look at both pn junction and Zener diode and compare them to find their differences. So let’s get started with Difference Between PN Junction & Zener Diode.
Difference Between PN Junction & Zener Diode
Pn Junction Diode
- It is an electronic component that used to the conversion of ac into the dc or causes current to flow only in the forward biased condition is called pn junction diode.
- It does not operate in reverse biased condition and reverses current can damage this device.
- It needed less doping level than the Zener diode.
- It is designed with the use of silicon and germanium. Generally, silicon is used than germanium
- Silicon is preferred since it can withstand high value of temperature
- Its breakdown occurs at a large value of voltage.
- There are two modes of biasing for diode first one forward biased and the second one is reverse biased
- Its operation is according to ohm’s law.
- Its common application is rectifier circuits where it converts ac in the dc.
- The category of diode through which current can pass in both forward and reverse biased direction is called Zener diode.
- COntrary to the PN junction diode there is no effect of reverse current on the Zener diode.
- It required a high doping level than the PN junction diode.
- Its design has the ability to high value of more zener voltage and can be varied according to applications.
- Its pn junction is high doped having less Zener voltage
- Due to Zener effect reverse current flows in these diodes.
- There is an avalanche and Zener breakdown that exists in this diode at same time in low volts Zener effect work and for high voltage avalanche work
- it is the among part of all electronic devices circuits.
- Their main work is to maintain the voltage level needed for circuitry or device where it used.
- They also offered device protection from over-voltage and ESD
- The working of the diode relies on the level of doping. the deletion region in the Zener is small has a value of less than one micrometer and high field is given then electrons cross the valence band and start conduction
That all about the difference between pn junction and Zener diode if you have any query ask in comments. Thanks for reading. Have a good day.