Hello, fellows, I hope all of you are enjoying your life. In today’s tutorial, we will have a look at DC Full Form. The full form of DC is direct current first time in 1800 DC was produced by Alessandro Volta who was an Italian physicist. At the time of DC creation, its movement of direction was not specified. Andre Marie Ampere who was a scientist of France explained the direction of direct current that it flows in a single direction. In 1832 first electrical generator was invented by the Hippolyte Pixii (instrument maker of France) he used a magnet and rotates the loop of wire in the field of a magnet. The output of this generator was AC current.
After that Ampere gave a suggestion to the Hippolyte Pixii to add commutators in generators that will convert AC output of generator into DC. Commutators are basically split rings. At the end of 1870s and start if 1880s power station starts to produce electricity. At the start, these powerhouses deliver power to the arc lighting used in streets consuming large value of voltage. As with the invention of incandescent bulb in 1882 by Thomas Edison the use of direct current becomes very common in homes, offices and commercial buildings. But there was very difficult to handle direct current as its level variation was difficult so after some year it was replaced with the alternating current. As the AC voltage can be step up and step down very easily with the use of a transformer for longer distance transmission. But it in some special use like rail system DC is used but nowadays DC is very limited for transmission and distribution. But Some electronic devices are operating on DC so AC is converted into DC by using a rectifier. In today’s we will have a detailed look at its generation, working, and applications. So let’s get started with the DC Full Form.
DC Full Form
- The word DC stands for direct current is the movement of charges in a single direction. DC current is also known as galvanic current.
- The example of direct current power is an electrochemical cell. With the movement through the conductive materials like wire dc also flows through the insulator, semiconductor.
- As alternating current changes, its direction after a certain interval of time but direct current does not vary its direction.
- Alternating current can be converted into the direct current using rectifiers. The process of AC into DC conversion is called rectification.
- There are two types of rectifiers first is a half-wave rectifier and the second is a full-wave rectifier.
- In half-wave rectifier, half AC wave or positive half is converted into the direct current and in full-wave rectifier full AC wave is converted into the direct current.
- In these rectifiers, diodes are used in half-wave one diode is used and in full-wave 2 or 4 diodes are used.
- If in some cases there is a need to convert direct current into the alternating current inverter circuits are used.
- There are numerous applications of direct current such as charging process of the battery, different electronic devices operate on direct current such as a diode, transistor, etc.
- A high value of dc is used in railways system and high voltage direct current is transmitted to longer distance.
How DC Generated
- DC generator produces direct current if we rotate loop of wire also called armature reaction in the field of a magnet then flux variation in the loop of wire generated current. This is according to Faraday’s Law.
- In the given, you can see that the loop of wire is rotating in the field of a magnet due to rotation of loop in the filed current flows this loop of wire.
- One thing to be noticeable is that in the practical generator the loop of wire is called armature of generator and magnet is stator of generator.
- In the second case if we keep wire of loop static and rotates magnet around it then also current will produces through the armature of a generator.
- The internal structure of direct current is similar to the alternating current generator but the difference is that in ac generator slip ring are used and in dc generator split ring are used.
Difference between AC and DC
These are some differences between AC and DC.
|The AC stands for alternating current.||DC stands for direct current.|
|The polarity of AC current continuously varies after a certain time interval.||DC is move-in uni-direction.|
|When the loop of wire is rotated in field of magnet or magnet is rotated then ac current is produced.||The constant field generates a direct current.|
|Due to variation in polarity, its operating frequency is sixty of fifty according to the country.||Its frequency is zero.|
|Its P.F values I in between O and 1.||Its power factor is 1.|
|Its polarity is negative and polarity means it has 2 polarities.||This is without polarity move in a single line.|
|The device generated an ac current called an alternator.||DC provided by the solar cell, battery, dc generator, etc..|
|Alternating can operate for three types of load resistive, inductive and capacitive.||It operates usually resistive load.|
|With the sinewave, it also exits in rectangle, square waveforms.||Its graph is a straight line.|
|During transmission, some losses occur.||Its transmission is losses free.|
|It can be transformed into a direct current.||It can be transformed into ac current.|
|Its generation and transmission required less number of a substation.||While the substation for a generation of direct current is required more than the ac.|
|It is less dangerous than DC.||It is more hazardous than the alternating current.|
|Its applications are in houses, buildings, etc.||It used for electroplating, electrolysis, etc.|
|Impedance is its passive factor.||Resistance is its passive factor.|
Difference between Current and Voltage
|The difference in the electrical field of 2 points is called voltage.||The flow of charging between 2 points is called current.|
|Its unit is volts.||Its unit is ampere.|
|It denoted with the letter ‘V’.||It denoted with the ‘A’.|
|Its formula is voltage=work done/ charge.||its formula is current =charge/time|
|The filed due to voltage is called a magnetic field.||Its types are also 2 AC and DC.|
|There are 2 types of voltage AC and DC voltages.||This is without polarity move in a single line.|
|The AC voltage varies its polarity after some time interval but DC voltage not.||AC current changes polarity like ac voltage but dc current has constant polarity.|
|Voltage is produced by the alternator.||Due to voltage current is flowed.|
|It measured by the device called a voltmeter.||It measured by the ammeter.|
|In series connections of circuits, the value of voltage is not the same in all elements of circuits.||In series circuits current flows alike in all components.|
|In parallel circuit connection voltage is same in all compoentns.||Current is not the same in parallel connections of circuits.|
|Voltage is also called a source of current||The current called an effect of voltage.|
Applications of DC Current
- These are some applications of direct current.
Domestic and Commercial Buildings
- In high voltage and less voltage applications, dc current is used. Such as a battery or solar cells.
- Many electronic components neede a dc power supply for their operation.
- Numerous automobile uses direct current. The battery of automobiles provides energy to the lights, ignition system and for initiating the engine.
- The alternating is attached with the rectifier to recharge battery providing direct current.
- Normal passenger automobiles use twelve volts power system.
- Numerous heavy loaded trucks have diesel engines operate on the twenty-four volts dc system.
- minus fort eight dc power supply is used in telephone exchange to provide power to the instruments.
- For negative polarity positive terminal and battery bank attached with the ground.
- These connections also stop the depositions of electrolysis.
So friends that are the detailed post about the dc full form if you have any questions about this post ask in comments. Thanks for reading see you in next post have a good day. Thanks for reading.