Hi, students welcome to our new post. In today’s post, we will have a detailed look at Introduction to ARM Microcontroller. The ARM microcontroller most commonly used controller in different types of embedded projects and in different types of industrial projects it uses due to different types of advantages over other controllers and modern structure.
Due to less cost and better operation, it mostly used in different types of projects such as the different categories of the control systems, wireless circuits, sensing devices and in automobiles. This controller is a memory of different types of central processing units and based on RISC. It is available in thirty two-bit and sixty-four-bit configuration. As its processor is based on RISC which is a large operating speed and executes the least number of commands. In today’s post, we will have a detailed look at its working, operation, pinouts, and some other related factors. So let’s get started with Introduction to ARM Microcontroller.
Introduction to ARM Microcontroller
- The ARM stands for Advanced RISC Machine and it based on the RISC architecture which is commonly used computer configuration.
- It is a thirty-two-bit module that was created by Acron computers in 1987.
- There are different types of MCU manufacturers that creating this board are ST Microelectronics and Motorola.
- This module has different categories such as ARMv1, ARMv2, and each module provides its own features.
- As it used RISC or reduced instruction set which helps to reduce the physical dimension of the integrated circuit so it uses a small number of transistors for its creation.
- As this model exists in small size so different devices such as mobile phones, tablets, and other handheld devices comprise of this board.
- With the combination of an ARM with random access memory and read-only memory, we get different types of controllers such as LPC2148.
ARM Microcontroller ARCHITECTURES
- In ARM controller RISC load-store architecture is exist in this board.
- Different types of registers are used in this board which helps in the manipulation of memory.
- The set of instructions used in the board but the main function is to decrease the time required by every instruction.
- The processor used in the ARM controller is cortex M3 which is a high speed and thirty-two bit, and it offered numerous features to the users.
- The architecture of this board is Harward architecture has distinct data and instruction buses to transmit data to the random access memory and read-only memory unknit.
- For execution, fetching, decoding, different types of commands three-stage pipeline is used.
- The processor of this board uses thumb commands based on the thumb two techniques, so it decreases the memory needed for the program and makes sure a higher density of coding.
- As this model comprises thirty two-bit architecture which provides better performance of the execution of commands.
Features of ARM Microcontroller
- These are some important features of this controller which are described here with the details.
- This board comprises of thirty two bit central processing unit which is high speed.
- It comprises of the three-stage pipeline.
- This board uses the thumb 2 technique.
- This module is compatible with the different types of tools and RTOS.
- It is compatible with the sleep mode of operation.
- It has the ability to control different types of software
Register Modes ARM Microcontroller
- This controller is based on load-store RISC architecture which indicates that its core can not directly function the memory.
- The registers are used for processing of data and information is exists in the memory unit through the address bus.
- This module is comprised of thirty-seven sets of registers out of them thirty-one is general purpose and six are status.
- This board uses 7 different processing modes for operating of operator operation.
- Different modes of the register are mentioned here.
- IRQ mode
- ABORT Mode
- Monitor Mode
- USER Mode
- FIQ Mode
- SVC Mode
- UNDEFINED Mode
- Let’s discuss them one by one with the details.
- This model is a general mode of register and comprises of a small number of registers.
FIQ and IRQ
- The FIQ and IRQ are 2 interrupt modes of central processing units.
- The FIQ stands for processing interrupt and IRQ stands for standard interrupt.
- For handling of critical interrupts there are 5 banked registers are exist in the FIQ mode.
- This is a supervising mode which used to start and reset the processor.
- This mode operates when illegal instruction exists on the board.
- In this mode, thirty two-bit data is distributed among the sixteen bits and it enhances the processing speed.
Thumb 2 Mode
- In THUMB-2 mode the instruction of sixteen-bit or thirty-two bits and enhances the operation of this controller.
Application of ARM Microcontroller
- This board is used in different types of techniques used in space and aerospace.
- Different types of medical devices such as MRI machines, computed tomography scanner, ultrasound machine.
- It used in different types of accelerators, nuclear reactors, and X-ray machines.
That is a detailed post about ARM Microcontroller if you have any further queries ask in the comments. Thanks for reading. Have a good day.