Hello guys, I hope you all are doing great. In today’s tutorial, we will have a look at Difference Between Velocity and Acceleration. There are 2 most important parameter velocity and acceleration related to the motion of different bodies. The main difference between these two parameters is that velocity changes in the position of a body in a specific direction in unit time. While acceleration is the change in velocity in a specific direction per unit time.
In today’s post, we will have a detailed look at different parameters of velocity and acceleration and find differences. So let’s get started with Difference Between Velocity and Acceleration.
Difference Between Velocity and Acceleration
- The variation in the position of a body in unit time is called velocity.
- Its measuring formula is meter per second.
- The rate of change in the position of the body with time is called velocity.
- It is equivalent to the body speed feature having direction and movement.
- It mostly used in the science field of kinematics.
- It is a physical term has velocity tan magnitude.
- Its unit is m/s
- The velocity measured between two objects called relative velocity.
- Its dimension is LT−1
- The moving body has zero value of speed
- Change in velocity called acceleration
- Speed measured at any instant of moving object called instantaneous speed
- The product of mass and velocity equal to the momentum.
- Speed is related to the displacement of the body.
- It also known as a change in displacement of body.
Calculation of Velocity
Velocity can be measured by dividing the displacement of anybody by the time taken. The formula for calculating velocity is:
- v = s/t
where: v = velocity s = displacement t = time taken
What is Speed
- Speed is denoted with V and is the magnitude of variation in the position of anybody and it is a scalar term.
- The time duration in which the distance covered through body parted in different parts is called average speed.
- The system international unit used for speed is meter per second. In some cases, kilometers per hour is used
Difference between Speed and Velocity
- Speed tells about the motion of an object and the quantity of a moving object while velocity tells about the speed quantity and motion of direction.
- Let us tale an example car moving with a speed of thirty kilometers per second and its direction is toward south then its speed is given
- Tangential speed is caused due to the body moving in a circle.In this case, the direction of motion of the object lies at the tangent to the circle so it is called tangential speed
- The rate of change of velocity is called acceleration.
- The direction of acceleration is found through the total force acting at the body
- The magnitude of the acceleration is explained through the use of the second law of newton
- Its meauring unit is m/s^2.
- The product of mass and acceleration is equal to the force.
- It is related to the velocity of the body.
Calculation of Acceleration
The formula for the calculation of acceleration is given here.
- a = (v-u)/t
where: a = acceleration v = final velocity u = initial velocity t = time taken
|rate of change of an object’s position with respect to time is known as velocity.||rate of change of velocity body with respect to time is called acceleration|
|Velocity is a vector quantity, which has both magnitude and direction.||Acceleration is a vector quantity, that also has magnitude and direction.|
|velocity direction defines the direction in which the body is moving.||acceleration direction indicates the direction in which the velocity of the body is varying|
|Velocity magnitude defines the speed of the body at which it moving||Its magnitude defines the rate at which the velocity of the object is varying|
|The measuring unit is meters per second (m/s).||Its measuring unit is meters per second squared (m/s^2).|
What is Uniform Acceleration
- The acceleration in which the velocity of any moving body varies through equal quantity in given time is called uniform acceleration.
That is a detailed post about the difference between velocity and acceleration if you have any query ask in the comments. Thanks for reading. Have a good day.