Hello, readers welcome to the new tutorial. Here we will learn Introduction to UART. The full form of UART is universal asynchronous receiver transmitter. It is a circuit configuration used in microcontrollers and not unlike the SPI and I2c that used as communication modules. Its basic function is to send and get the data in serial combination. It finest configuration is that uses 2 wires to send the data among the devices.
It is mostly employed in full duplex serial communication systems. It is a large-scale integration board that is created to perform asynchronous communication. It helps send and get from one device to other. Here we will cover the different points about the UART and its practical configuration. So let’s get started.
Introduction to UART
- UART is a universal asynchronous receiver transmitter. It is a hardware configured board positioned in the circuit of microcontrollers.
- The basic operation of this module is to transform the coming and sending data in the series binary system through the process.
- It get the eight-bit data in series form and transforms the parallel configuration through use of series to parallel transformation and parallel data get through the CPU transform through use of series to parallel transformation.
- This data is exit in modulating and send on the basis of baud rate.
- There are different protocols are used to get high-speed communication such as SPI and USB. For cases when high speed data transmission is not needed then UART is preferred.
- It is less expensive communication having one transmitter and receiver. It uses only two wires as transmitter and receiver.
- UART can be connected to the computer through sue USB TTL converter.
UART Block Diagram
- The main components of UART are the transmitter and receiver. The parts of the transmitter are transmitted hold registers. shift register and control logic.
- On the other sides receiver has a hold register, shift register, and control logic.
- These two has a common configuration of baud rate generator
- Speed produced by the baud rate generator defines the data sending and receiving speed of the transmitter and receiver.
- There are data byte that exist in the transmit hold register for sending.
Working of UART
- USRT sends data and gets it from the data bus. Data bust send data to UART through use of external modules such as computer USB etc.
- Data is sent through use of the data bus to UART in parallel combination. When data is received at the UART the start bit, parity bit, and stop bit is added to make the data packet.
- Data packet is sent at output pin Tx in form of bit by bit.
- Receiving UART do reading of the data packet get at Rx pin through bit by bit
- At receiving UART data is converted in the data in parallel form and eliminates the start parity and stops bits.
- At the end receiving UART sends the data packet in a parallel configuration to data but the receiving point
- UART transmitted data is configured in the packets form and every packet consists one start bit five to nine data bits with one to two stops bits and a parity bit as optional
How UART Transmission Performed
- Data is received in parallel configuration at the UART
- After that at transmitting UART start bit parity and stop bits are added to a data frame.
- Now complete packet is transmitted through a series combination from transmitting UART to receiving UART. Receiving UART makes samples of data line at the defined baud rate.
- At the receiving UART start, parity and stop bits are eliminated through data form
- Receiving UART transforms the seris data again I the parallel and send it to the data bus at the receiving point
- It is used to make connections among the different PCs
- It used for communication in the GPRS GPS satellite and wifi boards
- It used to work as transmitter and receiver in embedded modules
- Its main advantages are discussed here
- Easy to configure module
- configured of data packets can be varied
- It used two wires as send and receiver
- There is no use of a clock signal
- The size of the data frame can not be enhanced from nine bits
- It does not have the ability to connect with other modules
- Baud rate is also limited
That is all about the UART. All details has been discussing I you have any question ask in the comments thanks for reading have a good day.