Hello, friends, I hope you all are doing great. In today’s tutorial, we will discuss the Difference Between Moving Iron & Moving Coil Instrument. The basic difference between moving coil and moving iron instruments is that soft iron is used for the calculation of different values in moving iron devices. While in moving coil devices conductive coil is used to find the value DC.
In today’s post, we will have a detailed look at both moving coil and moving iron devices with the details and compare them to find their differences. So let’s get started with the Difference Between Moving Iron & Moving Coil instruments.
Difference Between Moving Iron & Moving Coil Instrument
Moving Iron Instrument
- The device that used soft iron to find the moving process is called moving iron devices.
- It’s working operation based on the phenomena of electromagnetic induction
- These instruments can be used to find the values of both AC and DC.
- The accuracy offered by these modules is less.
- The deflection of moving devices is directly proportional to the current.
- In these devices, there is no occurrence of hysteresis loss.
- These modules can be operated like the ammeter, voltmeter, and wattmeter.
- The scale used by them is non-uniform.
- In these devices, air friction damping occurs.
- These devices used large power.
- Its torque is controlled with the use of a spring.
- Deflection is direct to the square of the current
- It has air friction damping
Moving Coil Instrument
- Such devices that used a conductive coil to measure the values of current and voltage are called moving coil instruments.
- Its torque can also control with the spring.
- The deflection of these devices is directly proportional to the square of the current flowing.
- In these modules, hysteresis losses occur.
- Their deflection has a direct relation to the current.
- It has damping for eddy current
- These devices can operate as voltmeters, ammeters, galvanometers, and ohmmeters.
- Their working operation is like the operation dc motor.
- These devices are used to find the values of direct current.
- They provide high accuracy.
- Their scale is uniform.
- In these devices, eddy current damping occurs.
Moving Iron Vs Moving Coil Instrument
|Moving Iron Instruments||Moving Coil Instruments|
|There is the use of soft iron pieces in a magnetic field generated by a current-carrying coil.||Use suspend coil in the magnetic field generated by a permanent magnet|
|The deflection of the iron piece is proportional to the electrical quanity that is measured||The coil deflection is proportional to the electrical quantity measured|
|it can measure both AC and DC parameters||It is limited to measuring the dc parameters|
|It has different ranges of frequency response||It has a narrow frequency range|
|It is not correct as moving coil instruments||It is accurate and provides good resolution than moving iron|
|It prone to wear and tear||it is less prone to wear and tear|
|it needs additional maintenance||it needs less maintenance|
|it has lower sensitivity||it has high sensitivity|
|It is best for measuring large currents||it is best for measuring small currents|
|It is less expensive than moving coil instruments||It costly than moving iron instruments|
|It has a low electrical efficiency||it is higher electrical efficient|
|it is less affected by the outer magnetic field||It can be affected through outer magenticfileds|
|It needs a larger physical size||It needs a small physical size|
|it has a high weight||it is less weight|
|It is mostly used in industrial applications||it used in laboratory applications|
|it can handle larger overloads without getting damaged||It can be damaged through smaller overloads|
|It has a slow response time||It comes with fast response time|
|It has wide temperature ranges||it comes with a narrower temperature range|
|The best solution for rough and rugged environments||it used for precise and controlled environments|
|Which instrument is more accurate?||Moving coil instruments provides more accurate results than moving iron instruments.|
|Can moving coil instruments measure AC quantities?||Moving coil instruments are used for DC parameters measuring but some types are used for AC measuring|
|Which instrument is more sensitive?||Moving coil instruments are more sensitive than moving iron instruments.|
|Which instrument is more suitable for measuring small currents?||Moving coil instruments are best for measuring small currents while moving irons are best for larger current|
|Which instrument is more expensive?||Moving coil instruments are costly than moving irons instruments|
That is all about the difference between moving the iron and moving coil devices. I tried my level best to make it simple for you. If you have any further queries ask in the comments. Thanks for reading.