Hello, friends, I hope you all are doing great. In today’s tutorial, we will discuss the Difference Between Moving Iron & Moving Coil Instrument. The basic difference between moving coil and moving iron instruments is that soft iron is used for calculation of different values in moving iron devices. While in moving coil devices conductive coil is used to find the value DC.
In today’s post, we will have a detailed look at both moving coil and moving iron devices with the details and compare them to find their differences. So let’s get started with the Difference Between Moving Iron & Moving Coil instruments.
Difference Between Moving Iron & Moving Coil Instrument
Moving Iron Instrument
- The device that used soft iron to find the moving process is called moving iron devices.
- It’s working operation based on the phenomena of electromagnetic induction
- These instruments can be used to find the values of both AC and DC.
- The accuracy offered by these modules is less.
- The deflection of moving devices is directly proportional to the current.
- In these devices, there is no occurrence of hysteresis loss.
- These modules can be operated like the ammeter, voltmeter, and wattmeter.
- The scale used by them is non-uniform.
- In these devices, air friction damping occurs.
- These devices used large power.
- Its torque is controlled with the use of spring.
- Deflection is direct to the square of the current
- It has air friction damping
Moving Coil Instrument
- Such devices that used a conductive coil to measure the values of current and voltage are called moving coil instruments.
- Its torque can also control with the spring.
- The deflection of these devices is directly proportional to the square of the current flowing.
- In these modules, hysteresis losses occur.
- Their deflection has a direct relation to the current.
- It has damping for eddy current
- These devices can operate as Voltmeter, ammeter, galvanometer, ohmmeter.
- Their working operation is like the operation dc motor.
- These devices are used to find the values of direct current.
- They provide high accuracy.
- Their scale is uniform.
- In these devices, eddy current damping occurs.
That is all about the difference between moving iron and moving coil devices. I tried my level best to make it simple for you. If you have any further query ask in comments. Thanks for reading.