Hello readers welcome to new post. In this post we will learn What is Through Hole Technology and its Applications. It is a technique that is used to assemble the components of the project on the surface of the PCB board in the holes and soldering iron. With the use of through-hole, there is older techniques in electronic for component joining that is a point-to-point assembly has to be replaced. In 1950 when second-generation computers to SMT techniques that used in 1980s through-hole techniques were used for component assembly.
Initially, there was just one side of the board used for project creation then its both sides are now multilayer boards are created. For making the connection of component to the certain copper layers on the boards plated through-hole was used. PHT is used for making the connection among the layers called vias. Here we learn different aspects of through-hole technology advantages, etc so let get started.
What is Through Hole Technology
- There is leads are used to assemble leads on the boards. Two types of leads are configured to make connections of components first one is axial and the second one is redial.
- Axial leads are configured such that after making assembly they look like a cylinder and axis is a component that is making a connection.
- Radial are configured in parallel configuration over the surface of the board.
- It look like the circle radius where different components of circuits are positioned to make a circuit.
- Used of radial leads creates a physical display like 90 degrees and has a high value of density of the circuit.
- For the creation of such a structure where we need to change axial connection to radial for this just move the leads in U shape required structure will be obtained.
- When doing this process sure that there is no connection exist among the component of the board.
Through Hole is less Expensive Process
- The main advantages through use of this method are no need to make new solder stencil again and make the process less expensive.
- It is considered to make less expensive circuits than other techniques and considered a cost-saving technique.
- As compared to through-hole SMT is expensive to process that needed new components.
- Manual tests are performed for this process that also saved costs for other different testing techniques.
- The surface metallic process with the use of tin-lead solder making it a cost-effective technique. That helps to find the bends and twists existing in the board
How to get Through Hole Service
- There are numerous manufactures that are offering the PCB as well Through-hole service at different rates but there is one of the best and reliable service providers is JLCPCB I think the JLCPCB offers a very cost-effective solution, in addition to good support. They helped me to produce the PCB with good quality and low price service and only in a few days.
- They are offering the through-hole service with the SMT. JLCPCB has added one more great service to their offering, some through hole-mounted components can be soldered alongside SMT process. Excellent quality on SMT this time. The minor THD issue is that those combicon connectors are not soldered to be so straight.
- Their customer service team is available to guide your order with the details you can get all details about your products. Through the hole, you can get a detailed overview and final delivery timeline about the component. I hope they will fulfill all your requirements that you needed to get the products.
Features of Through Hole Technology
- There is strong mechanical joining is given by the SMT that needed extra drilling process and increased board cost.
- They used to restrict the given routing area used for traces over the layers instantly existing below the upper layers of the multilayer board.
- Through-hole techniques is used for large size components such as semiconductors devices, capacitors, etc.
- For larger size packaging such as TO0-220 which needed extra mounting strength and elements such as plug connectors used this technique.
- For the design of prototyping, there is use of through-hole since can be used for breadboard sockets.
- Through-hole elements are best for prototyping circuits having breadboard with the use of microprocessors like Arduino
What is Plated Through Holes
- In the process of through-hole components of projects are positioned on the board by placing their pinouts at certain holes on the board.
- These holes are denoted as through holes and created with the use of a drill machine at the upper to lower part of the board.
- In the case of plated through holes, there is the inner side of holes is coated with copper that ensures the complete interior of the hole as conductive area
- The advantage of this conductive area is that there is a link between copper and elements connected.
- This process decreases the resistance level for flow of current and enhance mechanical stability
- The thickness of copper coating In the hole is twenty micrometer
Advantages of Through Hole
- The main benefits of this technique are mentioned here.
- As compared to the SMT the connection configuration among the board and through-hole component is very stronger.
- It is used in the construction of different types of transformers and connectors.
- Due to stronger connection and grip, it Prefers for such environments where high mechanical strength is needed.
- It is used in an environment large temperature exists..
- Its testing process is easy than other techniques.
Disadvantages of Through Hole
- With the advantages, there are some drawbacks of this technique that must also take into consideration before use this method.
- As the elements in this technique are passed in the board for this hols are created on the board that is a costly process.
- Its solder points show less reliability than the other techniques
- Its other disadvantage is that offered a limited area for elements at one side of the board and decreases the place for the creation of multiple layers.
That is all about the Through Hole Technology. This technique is considered as further over the SMT and will be preferred for large size components to make different projects based on this technique.