Hello, friends, I hope you all are doing great. In today’s tutorial, we will discuss the Difference Between Grounding and Earthing. The basic difference between grounding and earthing is that in grounding the conductor through which current is flowing is connected with the ground while in earthing the conductor through which current is not flowing is attached with the ground.
In this post, we will have a detailed look at earthing and grounding than relate them to find their differences. So let’s get started with a Difference Between Grounding and Earthing.
Difference Between Grounding and Earthing
- In grounding the conductor through which current is passing of the system or electrical device is connected with the ground.
- The grounding location is among the neutral wire and ground.
- There is no 0 potential occurs in the grounding.
- Grounding is used to provide protection to the device connected with the system.
- The grounding provides the back path for the current.
- There are three types of grounding Solid, Resistance and Reactance.
- For grounding wire of black color is used.
- The example of grounding is a neutral wire of generator and the power transformer is linked with the ground.
- In earthing casing of the device connected in the system is linked with the earth.
- Grounding occurs among the device body and earth pit that is located in the earth.
- In earthing 0 potential occurs.
- Earthing is used to provide protection to the human being from the electric shock.
- Through earthing discharging of electric energy is occurs.
- There are 5 types of earthing Pipe, Plate, Rod earthing, earthing through tap, and strip.
- The wire used for earthing has a green color.
- Earthing provides protection from electric shock.
- The example of earthing is a body of transformer, generator, motor is connected to the earth.
What is Grounding
- In grounding conductive wire of device is attached with the ground. Through grounding return path is given to the leakage current and provides a device from damage connected in the system.
- If there is fault ocures int the device than three phases of the device will become unbalanced. Then grounding discharges the current generated due to fault to the ground and then the system becomes balance.
- There ae numerous benefits of grounding such as int reduce the surge voltage and also causes to discharging the overvoltage.
- The main advantage of grounding is that it deliver the protection to the device and enhances the operation of system.
What is Earthing
- In earthing, part of a device through which current is not flowing is connected with the earth. If there is fault occurs in the system the potential across the equipment through which current is not flowing increases and if any human being gets touch with it he may bear the high shock.
- If earthing is presence then leakage current discharges to the earth and provides protection to the human from getting shocked.
- Earthing also provides protection to the device from lightening strokes and offers the discharging path to the surge arrester and other instruments.
- The earthing is done by linking the portion of devices to the earth through with the use of earth conductor through making a connection with the soil putting within the earth at some distance from surface of earth.
Comparison between Earthing and Grounding
- In earthing the part of a device through which current is not flowing connect with the earth. In grounding current-carrying conductor such as neutral is attached with the ground.
- Balck wire is used in grounding and gree wire is used in earthing.
- The grounding used to balance the load that is unbalanced while earthing used to provide protection to the device and human beings from getting shocked.
- In grounding the device is not physically attached with the ground and the value of current is also not zero. While in an earthing device is linked with the ground and its potential is 0.
- The grounding provides the path for the flow of undesired current and so it provides protection to the device from getting hearted while earthing reduces the large potential of an electric device that is due to gault and offers protection to the human being from the shock.
- The 3 types of grounding solid grounding, resistance grounding, and reactance grounding. There are five types of earthing.
That is a detailed post about the difference between earthing and grounding if you have any query ask in comments. Thanks for reading have a good day,