Hello, friends, I hope you all are doing great. In today’s tutorial, we will discuss the Difference Between Core Type and Shell Type Transformer. The basic difference core and shell-type transformer are that in core type transformer winding is wounded on the core and in shell type transformer core cover the windings mean core encircles the winding.
In today’s post, we will have a detailed look at both core and shell types of transformer do comparison between them to find their differences. So let’s get started with Difference Between Core Type and Shell Type Transformer.
Difference Between Core Type and Shell Type Transformer
Core Type Transformer
- This type of transformer winding is wounded at the outer parts of the core.
- The core is rectangular in shape and the winding wounded has a circle-like configuration.
- The windings are wounded at arms of the core that are a ceratin distance apart from each other.
- It needed a large quantity of copper so it is expensive
- The transformer core has 2 numbers of limbs and primary and secondary winding ar wounded on them
- It can be created and design very easily
- This core configuration is an exit in the power transformer and autotransformer
- Its design is such that flux has equal quantity on both arms
- Its physical structure is like a cylinder
- Due to separated limbs and simple structure any fault can be repaired from it
- Ther is just single circuit exit in this transformer
Shell Type Transformer
- In this type of transformer, the winding is lies at the central arm that is called the mid limb.
- Windings is arranged at the inner side of the core.
- It has three numbers of limbs than core winding that has two’
- It needed a large number of windings that make it costly
- Its fault removal is difficult than the core transformer
- It used in less volge induterris compoent handlesing
- Forced air cooling system used for heat removal from this device
- The winding used in this transform called disc winding
- Its leakage reactance less than core
So, friends, it is a detailed post about the difference between core type and shell-type transformer. If you have any query ask in the comments. thanks for reading. have a good day.