Hello, readers welcome to new tutorial. Here we will discuss Difference Between Adhesion and Cohesion. These two terms are types of attraction forces existing among the molecules. In some case these forces consider as same but are different. The basic difference between these two forces it that cohesion is a force of attraction that lies between to same types of molecules and adhesion exist between two different types of molecules,
In this post, we will discuss basic of these two forces and finds their common differences. So let’s get started.
Difference Between Adhesion and Cohesion
What is Adhesion
- Force of attraction exists between two different molecules called adhesion. Its is further divided in chemical bonds, and physical and mechanical interlocking.
- An example of adhesion is force of attraction between water and walls of xylem vessel is adhesion. These forces are considered as intermolecular forces
- In case of mechanical adhesion, adhesive material get the surface through fill the holes. For chemical adhesion, there is two chemical bonds that exist ionic and covalent bond.
- In the case of ionic bonds electrons are may give or get while in covalent bond sharing of electrons exist.
- It is an electrostatic force in nature
- If two molecules are get soluble with one another this adhesion is called diffusion. The strength of these forces lies on the process through which it occurs.
What is Cohesion
- Cohesion forces exist between two same molecules. Forces that exist between water molecules are intermolecular forces.
- Due to the force of cohesion water flow in a consistent manner. Hydrogen bonding existing between water molecules is due to cohesion force
- Every water molecules make 4 hydrogen bodies with other water molecules so they have a strong force of attraction.
- Adhesion also caused the electrostatic forces and Van der Waals forces.
That is details post about the Difference Between Adhesion and Cohesion. The basic difference between these two forces has been explained. In simple words, adhesion is forces existing between two different molecules.While cohesion is a force of attraction existing among the same molecules that exist between the water molecules. If you have any further queries ask in comments Thanks for reading have a good day
Special offer: $2 for 1-8 layer PCBs
Free SMT Assembly Monthly
New arrival for Aluminum boards, only $2