Hello, readers welcome to the new post. Today we will discuss 12V to 5V Converter Circuit using 7805. In electronic engineering and projects, there are different types of devices used that operate at low values of volts. Since we have a high power supply at the power source but to handle the operation of small devices like microcontrollers, LEDs need a small value of volts such as 5V and for getting this value of volts there are basic circuits and voltage sources needed that can fulfill voltage requirements.
In this post, we will discuss the circuit where we will convert 12 volts to 5 Volts to operate the device configured for low voltages. The main component of our project is 7805 which helps to convert the 12 volts input to 5 volts output. The circuit we are going to create by getting the PCB boards from the best PCB supplier. They not only provide PCBs but also helps their users to make projects since they are equipped with highly professional engineers and equipment. This best PCB services provider is PCBWAY which is considered the best in all services. From PCBWAY you can get the twenty pieces of A in just thirty dollars with component sourcing and online quote features. They provide the 1-to 14 layers PCBs for $5/10pcs, with that can get PCBA in three to five-time twenty pieces for thirty dollars and PCBA provides free stencil for $15/pcs.
PCBWAY offers a single platform for PCB and prototyping services special in PCB prototype and small series services. You can get high tech low prices PCB up to fourteen layers. Such as Impedance Control PCB, Buried & Blind Holes PCB, and multillayer PCBs. Some capabilities of this best PCB and projects supplier are mentioned below.
- PCBs with up to 14 layers
- 100% Electrical Testing
- Min Track/Spacing 0.1mm/4mil
- Min Hole Size:0.2mm
- High-Density Interconnect PCBs
- Laser Direct Imaging (LDI)
- Special colors & -lacquers
- Lead-Free compliant PCBs
- Half-cut/Castellated Holes
- Edge Plating
- Impedance control
- Blind, buried, and Plugged Vias
- Custom Stackup
- Carbon Mask
- Via in pad
- Via filled with resin
Introduction to lm7805
- The LM7805 integrated circuit that used to operate 5 volts operating devices. This voltage regulator belongs to the LM78xx positive voltage providers regulators group.
- In this group of regulators commonly used regulators are LM7805, LM7808, LM7812, etc
- The common packaging of this regulator is TO-220 and some other packaging is also available.
- its reliable nature makes perfect it for different electronic projects and circuits.
- Its common applications are in electronic devices tinkers since it has less prices and is easy to install in circuits.
- It comes with different features such as a 1.5A output current that provides the overheat protection, overload protection function
- It is considered the main component of dc supplies. It also has sensitive nature.
- Its common features are discussed here
- Its quiescent current is eight milliamperes
- The highest input volts is about thirty-five volts
- It provides the fixed value of dc volts which is 5V
- It is a less expensive component
- It has short circuit and overheats protection
- Its output current is about 1.5 amperes and its structure exists in T0-220 packaging
Electrical characteristics lm7805
|Output volts||IO = 5 mA to 1 A VI = 7 V to 20 V PD ≤ 15 W||5||V|
|Input volts regulation||VI = 7 V to 25 V||3||mV|
|Ripple Rejection||VI = 8 V to 18 V, f = 120 Hz||78||dB|
|Output voltage regulation||IO = 5 mA to 1.5 A||15||mV|
|Output resistance||f = 1 kHz||0.017||Ohm|
|output voltage Temperature coefficient||IO = 5 mA||–1.1||mV/°C|
|Output noise voltage||f = 10 Hz to 100 kHz||40||Micro Volt|
|Dropout voltage||IO = 1 A||40||V|
|Short-circuit output current||750||mA|
|Peak output current||2.2||A|
- It has three pinout Input-output and ground
- Input: At this pin, input volts is provided.
- GND: this pin is linked to the ground and used for input and output in common mode
- Output: Through this pin, five volts are taken out
12V to 5V Converter Circuit
- The component used in this project are listed here
- Power supply
- DC Voltmeter
- PCB from PCBWAY
- LM7805 is the main component of our project that provides the 5V volts from getting 12 volts from the power supply connected at input terminals. When reduction of volts is done through LM7805 from 12 to 5 volts there is high heat loss is done. During this process, 12 volts from the supply transformed into 5 volts in the ideal case but in normal we can get 4.8 to 5.2 volts. To reduce the heat produced during voltage conversion there is heat sink is used at the circuit to avoid any damage to the circuit. The use of the capacitor in this project is to remove the distortion occurring and make pure dc at the output. In the figure, you can see that 12 volts at the input is provided and 5 volts at the output.
12V to 5V Converter Applications
- Its main applications are listed here
- It used to provide the power to microcontrollers and sensors
- Work as adjustable voltage regulators
- It is part of the circuit to protect them from damage
- Reverse biased protection can be gotten through LM7805
- It used as a current regulator
That is all about the 12V to 5V Converter Circuit all details about this circuit has explained. If you have any queries ask in the comments. Further, also visit the PCBWAY to get the project’s components and creation services.