Hello, friends, I hope all of you are enjoying your life. In today’s tutorial, we will discuss What is Slip Ring. The slip ring is such a tool that make calm to the transmission of the electric power and signal from the static network to the rotatory. It used for any electro-mechanical network in which signal and power transmit due to rotation. A slip ring can increase mechanical performance, in a short network process and remove such wires which likely to damage.
Slip rings can deliver nonstop or alternating revolution while transmission power and data – shortening process, improving device performance, and removing the risk of damage to electric wiring among the moving portion. In today’s post, we will have a look at its working, construction, types and some other factor. So let’s get started with what is slip ring.
What is Slip Ring
- The slip ring is also known as the rotatory electric device, such connectors that can rotate, spinners, or electric rotatory connections.
- This device is mostly used in the wound rotor motors which is the type of induction motor, generator, AC networks, packing machines, cable rollers, and in wind generation turbines.
- This component is mostly used for rotary devices to transmission of the energy, used in control circuitries, and for analog and digital application which used in fluid dynamin instruments, rotatory beacons (A beacon fitted on the airports to specify the airports location to pilot during night time), telescopes which uses radio waves, or heliostats (is a such instrument which consists of mirror, when it rotates it reflects the light of the sun to the specified location).
- A slip ring is a technique that makes an electric linkage by rotatory connections.
- Officially, it is an electrical power transmitting module that permits movement of power among 2 electric rotatory portions, like in a motor.
Slip Ring Construction
- Normally the slip ring comprises of the static graphite contacts (brush) which scrubs (rubs) on the external diameter of a revolving metal ring.
- When ring of metal rotates the current or the electrical signal transmitted to the ring by the static contacts.
- This simplest assembly has been used for years as a basic technique of flowing current into a rotatory instrument.
Slip Ring Types
- There are many types of slips rings that are described here.
Mercury-Wetted Slip Rings
- This type of the slip ring is famous for its less resistance value and fixed joining (connection) it uses many methods which swaps the sliding brush connections with fluid metallic molecularly attached to the links.
- During rotary motion, the metallic fluid keeps the electric linking among the static and rotary joints.
- Due to the use of the mercury, we have to take some safe measurements, because it is the poisonous liquid.
- If this slip ring is working in such an environment where food production is happening the use of mercury should take some special precautions.
- Seepage of the mercury and the subsequent uncleanness could be very thoughtful.
- This slip-ring expedient is also restricted by temperature, as mercury coagulates at almost minus forty degrees.
Pancake Slip Rings
- This type of slip ring consists of many conductors which are assembled on the smooth disc-like concentric-rings positioned on the rotatory shaft.
- Such type of arrangements is bulky and has larger volume for similar circuitry, high capacitance and crosstalk, higher brush attire and further willingly gathers wear wreckage on its perpendicular axis.
- Though, a pancake provides an abridged axial span for the many circuitries, and so can be suitable in some submission.
Wireless Slip Rings
- This type of slip ring does not use metal and carbon brush contacts to transmit power as this method used in older slip rings.
- Instead, the wireless slip ring transmits power by the electromagnetic field, which is generated by the windings which are located in the rotary receiving point, and the statice transmitter device.
- Wireless slip rings are a more advanced form of slip rings, as it does not use conventional methods to transmit power so it is good for difficult working conditions and it ness less raping costs.
- But there is a disadvantage that it transmits less amount of power than other slip rings of a similar size.
Slip Ring in Induction Motor
- The wound motor is the type of induction motor, it used a slip ring to increase the resistance of the rotor windings not for the power transfer.
- The wound rotor used 3 slip rings which are constructed from the copper or allot of the copper. These rings are connected to the shaft of the motor.
- These three slip rings are joined with the 3 phases with the roto’s windings.
- The slip rings are connected with carbon brushes to reduces friction. These brushes are connected with such devices which vary the resistance like a rheostat.
Alternative Names of Slip Ring
- There are many names of the slip ring-like commutator, collector ring, rotatory electric contacts, and electric slip ring.
- But its name commutator is mostly used for dc motor and generators.
- When it used in higher speed or less friction application it known as the rotary transformer.
Slip Ring Applications
- The slips rings are used in the rotating unit to work with the device, normally denoted as a rotating joint.
- The work which is done by the rotatory unit in the fluid is similar to the slip ring for the electric power.
- They are frequently combined into rotating units to transmit power and data to and from rotatory apparatus in combination with the medium which the rotating unit offers.
Difference between Slip Ring and Split Ring
- These are some differences between the split ring and slip ring.
|A slip ring is used to transmit power among the rotating and static parts of AC machines.||The split ring is used to change the polarity of the current in simple words for converting AC into DC.|
|It used in ac machines like an induction motor.||It used in dc machines.|
|Its physical structure is similar to the complete ring.||It is parts of one ring.|
|It provides an output of the alternating current generator to the ac motor.||It used to provide sinusoidal voltage to dc motor.|
So friends that is the complete post on slip ring I have mentioned each and every parameter related to slip ring. If you have any questions about this post ask in comments. Thanks for reading. see you in another amazing post. Have a good day.
Right now it sounds like WordPress is the top blogging platform available right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using on your blog?