Hello, friends welcome to another interesting post. In today’s post, we will have a detailed look at the Introduction to STM32 Microcontroller. This type of microcontroller belongs to the thirty-two-bit microcontroller ICs created by STMicroelectronics (which is a French Italian multinational electronic producer whose head office is located in Geneva). The most commonly used series of STM32 are Cortex-M7F, cortex-M33F, CortxM3, etc all these have the same thirty-two-bit ARM processor core.
In the interior structure of these microcontroller processor cores, static RAM and flash memory are assembled with some other devices. In today’s post, we will have a detailed look at its working applications, pinouts, and some other related parameters. So let’s get started with Introduction to STM32 Microcontroller.
Introduction to STM32 Microcontroller
- The STM32 is a very common type of microcontroller used in numerous types of devices. It also provides facilities for linking with other types of microcontrollers.
- The STM32 series of MCUS which was created by STMicroelectronics consists of an ARM Cortex-M thirty-two-bit processor core.
- In this microcontroller series and parallel communication system exit through which numerous external devices such as cameras, sensors, motors, etc can be connected.
- Every STM32 MCU also consists of inner flash memory and random access memory.
- The operation range offered by the STM32 is a little bit costly. There are subseries of STM32 like STM32F0 and STM32f1 which operate with the clock signal of having a frequency twenty-four megahertz and exits in a casing having sixteen pinouts.
- Another category of STM32 series is STM32H7 which works at the four hundred megahertz frequency and exits in a casing having two forty pinouts.
- There are some types of STM32 exits which used are exists with the floating-point unit or FPU and are used in high-level numerical processing applications.
- These modern categories of MCU have some features of microprocessors with the microcontroller.
- For such applications that operate on less power or are portable devices, STM32L series is created.
Features of STM32
- These are some features of STM32 which are described here in detail.
- In this module flash memory, up to one megabyte is used.
- An OTP of five hundred and twelve is used in this module.
- Static random access memory of one twenty-eight byte is used in these modules.
- To provide support to the flash memory static RAM PSRAM flexible static memory controller is used.
- Its operating voltage is from 1.8 volts to 3.6 volts.
- The crystal oscillator of four to twenty-six megahertz is used in this module.
- It has an inner sixteen megahertz factory-trimmed RC.
- It uses a thirty-two-kilo hertz oscillator for RTC (Real-Time Clock).
- It has an inner thirty-two kilohertz RC after calibration.
- The modes which it has are sleep stop and standby modes.
- The battery is used to provide back to the RTC, 20 by 32 backup registers, and four kilobytes of static ram.
- This module consists of 3 by 12-bit o. 5-microsecond analog to digital converter having twenty-four channels.
- It consists of 12 sixteen-bit and 2 thirty bits timers.
- It comprises of one thirty-six inputs and outputs having a frequency of sixty hertz.
- It has one thirty-eight input and outputs operating at five volts
- This module consists of 3 I2c interfacings.
- It has 4 USART and 2 UART and 3 SPI.
|Clock speed||480 megahertz|
|Flash memory||two megabyte|
|Random access memory unit||256 Kilobyte|
|Peripherals connections||USB, DAC Ethernet,, LCD, ADC CAN, and some others|
|Power uses||it uses low to medium-level power|
|prices||vary on the bases of functions|
|Programming language||C or C++ can be used|
|Development instruments||ST-Link, and CubeMX,|
Difference between STM32 microcontroller and 51 microcontroller
|Aspect||STM32 Microcontrollers||8051 Microcontrollers|
|Architecture||ARM Cortex-M-based architecture||8-bit Harvard architecture|
|Clock Speed||16MHz to 480 megahertz||12MHz to 33MHz)|
|Memory||Flash and RAM||Flash and RAM units|
|Performance||Higher processing power||restricted processing power|
|Instruction Set||ARM Thumb-2||8051 instructions|
|Development Tools||IDE commonly used||less tools used for it|
|Peripherals||(ADC, USB,||Timers, I/O port UART,|
|Power uses||low-power modes||low-power modes|
|Connectivity||it supported CAN, SPI, I2C,||UART|
|Applications||High-processing power projects||embedded systems|
stm32 vs esp32
|Architecture||ARM Cortex-M||Tensilica LX6|
|Clock speed||480 Megahertz||240 Megahertz|
|Flash memory||2 Megabyte||16 Megabyte|
|RAM||256 Kilobyte||520 Kilobyte|
|Peripherals||USB, ADC, DAC Ethernet, CAN, LCD, ,||WiFi, BLE, I2S, Bluetooth, SPI, I2C,.|
|prices||vary||Low to medium|
|Programming language||C or C++||Arduino C C++, MicroPython,|
|Development tools||CubeMX, with ST-Link,||Arduino IDE, Espressif ESP-IDF, `|
STM32 Microcontroller PINOUT
- The main pinouts of the STM32 microcontroller are described here with detail.
- It is a power supply pinout at this pinout 3.3 volts are provided.
- This pinout is used to reset the microcontroller.
+3.3 volts pin
- From this pinout, 3.3 volts are taken out as output and used to provide power microcontroller.
- It is a five-volt output pinout.
- It is ground pinout.
- it is a combination of pinouts D8 to D15 these are digital pinouts and used for SPI.
D13, D12. D11 and D10 Pinouts
- These pinouts operate as serial clocks, master in slave out, master out slave in, and SC pinouts for SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface) transmission.
- These are digital pinouts and are comprised of D0 to D7 pins.
D0 and D1
- These 2 pinouts operate as receivers and transmitters for USART (Universal Synchronous Asynchronous Receiver Transmitter) transmission.
- These are digital port C pinouts and comprise of PC0, PC1, PC2, PC3, PC10, PC11, PC12, PC13, PC14, PC15.
- It is port D input-output pinouts.
PA0, PA1, PA4, PA13, PA14, PA15 pinouts
- These are pinouts of port A.
PB7, PB8, and PB9
- These are pinouts of port B.
PH0 and PH1
- These are pinouts of port H.
|Pin Number||Pin Name||Function||Description|
|1||VDD||Power||it used to provide a positive supply|
|3||PA0||GPIO||It is a general purpose input and output pinout|
|4||PA1||USART1_TX||it data transmission pin for UART|
|5||PA2||USART1_RX||Data receiving pinout for|
|6||PB0||I2C1_SCL||I2C1 clock signal pinout|
|7||PB1||I2C1_SDA||data single pinout for 12C1|
|8||PC13||Button||Used as a user input button|
|9||PC14||GPIO||General-purpose input and output|
|10||PC15||GPIO||General-purpose Input and output|
Applications of STM32 Microcontroller
- These are some common applications of STM32.
- It is used in less power using handheld devices.
- It is used in different types of robots.
- It uses an automation system.
- ST-Link debugger: The ST-Link debugger is a hardware device used for the connection of the STM32 microcontroller with the computer. STM32 controller can be programmed with the use of STM32CubeIDE,
- CubeMX graphical configurator: it is a software-based configure peripherals with STM32 microcontroller.
- online compiler: Different online compilers exist that are used to program this controller
Where are STM32 microcontrollers used?
STM32 microcontrollers are used in different industries.
- Automotive: it is used in cars and other automobiles in different devices such as engine control, power steering, and braking systems.
- Industrial automation: it is also part of industrial automation like robotics, machine control, and process control.
- Consumer electronics: Mobile tablets and smartphones uses these devices
- Healthcare: medical devices, wearables, and point-of-care diagnostics use these modules
Why is STM32 better than Arduino?
- Performance: STM32 is a powerful component that Arduino has high speed and a larger memory unit than arduino
- Features: it can support the large peripherals and communication protocols than Arduino
- Development tools: STM32 has development tools and libraries that Arduino large in number so can be easily programmed
What is the difference between microcontroller and STM32?
A microcontroller is a small size computer that is embedded in a larger system. STM32 is a 32-bit microcontroller group that is made by STMicroelectronics.
Main difference between a microcontroller and an STM32 is that STM32 are based on the ARM Cortex-M processor architecture
What is the STM32 microcontroller used for?
STM32 microcontrollers can be used for different applications like
- Embedded systems: It is used for embedded systems, like industrial automation, consumer electronics, and healthcare.
- Robotics: it is also part of robotics applications, drones, autonomous vehicles, and industrial robots.
- Internet of Things: it is used in different IoT projects smart home devices, wearables devices, and sensors used for industries
So that is a detailed post about STM32 if you have any further queries ask in the comments, Thanks for reading. Have a good day.