Hello, readers welcome to the new post. Today we will discuss Introduction to L4940V5. It is a less voltage operating regulator that normally operates at five volts created by ST Microelectronics. its dropout volts is about four fifty millivolts for the one-ampere load. It is used for battery operation and enhances its operating life.
Its structure lies in TO-220 packaging and with that comes inner current and power dissipation limitation. In this post, we will cover its different parameters and functions. So let’s get started.
Introduction to L4940V5
- The L4940 V5 is three pins device that is called a positive regulator and comes in T0-220 packaging.
- It has many voltage ranges so used for different voltage applications.
- It is used for battery systems since has fewer power losses at input and output so increases the battery operating life. This module also has an inner current limiting circuit, antisaturation circuit safe area protection, and thermal shutdown
- It has three pins described here
- Input: Here input supply is provided
- GND: the ground is linked here
- Output: Output volts are getting from this point
- The main features are discussed here
- Its quiescent current is five milliamperes
- The Peak current is about 2.25 ampers with two volts of differential
- It comes with overcurrent thermal and reverses volts protection circuits
- It has fewer dropout volts about four fifty millivolts
- Its output volts are five volts with ±10mV
L4940V5 Block diagram
Working of L4940V5
- It is fewer volts consuming about five volts voltage regulator. Some voltage regulations needed that their input must be larger than the output volts to get the accurate regulation as output depends on the NPN configuration.
- In this voltage regulator, the output configuration is PNP which denotes that voltage drops from input to output so less volts loss can get.
- It shows that the regulation device can work if input volts are high from the output. It is used for battery operations.
- These regulators can be unstable so output decoupling connects carefully.
- Its common applications are discussed here
- It used for battery power systems
- Used for voltage regulation
- Employed for linear output stage for SMPS
L4940V5 Absolute maximum ratings
|VIR||Reverse Input volts||-15V|
|Io||Output current||Limited at the inner side|
|pD||Power Dissipation||Limited at inner side|
|Tstg||The range for temperature storage||-40 to +150 C|
|Top||Operating junction temperature range||-40 to +150 C|
That is all about the L4940V5 all details has explained if you have a question ask it here