Hello, friends, I hope you all are doing great. In today’s tutorial, we will discuss the Difference Between Slip Ring and Squirrel Cage Induction Motor. The most common type of AC motor is a squirrel cage induction motor. It is mostly used in industries due to less price, high efficiency, and reliability. While the use of a slip ring is limited in industries. Due to different disadvantages such as regular maintenance, a large copper loss slip ring motor is used five to ten percent is used.
The basic difference between the slip ring and squirrel cage motor is that in slip ring motor exterior resistance circuitry is used to control the speed of the motor.. In today’s post, we will have a detailed look at both slip ring and squirrel cage induction motor with the detailed compare them to find their differences. So let’s get started with Difference Between Slip Ring & Squirrel Cage Induction Motor.
Difference Between Slip Ring & Squirrel Cage Induction Motor
Slip Ring Motor
- There is another name of slip ring motor called wound motor and is belongs to induction motor family.
- Its circuit configuration is such that winding at rotor link to the outer circuitry through slips rings motor so-called slip ring motor
- The outer resistance circuitry connected to it helps to regulate the speed of the motor.
- It can operate through less starting current with the use of a high value of resistance. with the getting of required speed, resistance can reduce the circuitry
- This motor has large numbers of turns at the rotor so generated a large voltage than the squirrel motor and less current.
- At starting time there is special circuitry needed to run it which is three poles circuit.
- This motor offed the large value of starting current.
- As it sis induction motor types but its structure is different from a normal induction motor.
- It needcless an initial current and its power factor is good due to less initial current.
- Its speed can be regulated according to our requirements through the use of outer circuitry.
- Due to speed control, features can be used in different adjustable speed circuits.
Slip Ring Motor Construction
- The structure of this motor is like the squirrel cage motor having some difference like in structure of rotor.
- The difference is that in squirrel cage rotor bars are used that are wounded through coils and has connection star combination.
- At the endpoint of coil there is slip rings are assembled the high-value resistor is attached to the endpoint in serries combination with rings operates as exterior circuitry.
Squirrel Cage Motor
- A squirrel-cage motor is a type of induction motor it called due to squirrel-like rotor arrangement.
- Its rotor is created through the use of steel laminated, copper conductor and are short-circuited at other ends.
- The speed of the motor can be changed through change the bars of the rotors.
- it mostly used in industries having ratings up to one kilowatt to 10 MW.
- It is a self-starting motor not need a special starting device.
- Its structure is simple than a slip ring motor.
- It’s offed the constant speed to load.
So friends that is a detailed post about the difference between slip ring motor and squirrel cage motor. If you have any question ask in comments. Thanks for reading.