Hello, friends, I hope you all are doing great. In today’s tutorial, we will discuss the Difference Between Potentiometer and Rheostat. The basic difference between rheostat and potentiometer is that potentiometer is used to find the value unknown electromotive force which regulates the voltage of a circuit. While rheostat is a device that regulates the movement of current in the circuitry.
The potentiometer finds the value of not known voltage in the circuit by comparison with the known value of the voltage that is applied voltage to the circuit. But rheostats regulates the movement of current in the circuit by changing the resistance. In today’s post, we will have a detailed look at both potentiometer and rheostat and find their differences. So let’s get started with Difference Between Potentiometer and Rheostat.
Difference Between Potentiometer and Rheostat
- It is a sensor that used to find the value of voltage in the circuit.
- It has three terminals.
- It is resistance having 3 pinouts with rotating points that change the value resistance when employed in circuitry.
- Due to resistance change, it operates as a voltage divider.
- It regulates the voltage of the circuit.
- Its operates like rheostat when tis two terminal are used in circuitry.
- The sensitivity of this device is larger than the voltmeter.
- It does not have a pointing needle like the voltmeter.
- Its working operation is like the position transducer same operation like to the joystick
- It not used to regulate the power because its loses more power than another device
- Its structure is simple that consists of a resistance component sliding connection called a wiper.
- Its resistive part is created with the carbon, graphite plastic
- Its named pots
- It used to measure the value of voltage and work as a voltage divider.
- The tape recorder uses this module to control the voice.
- The brightness of tv is regulated through this device
- It provides the exact measured value.
- The resistance value offered by this instrument is infinity.
- It mostly used in fewer power applications.
- it consists of graphite material.
- It connected in parallel combination with the circuit.
- The potentiometer can also be used as a rheostat.
- A rheostat is like a variable resistance.
- It has two terminals.
- This device helps to sustain the value of current in a certain level.
- These instruments help to change the resistance of circuitry giving any hindrance to the circuitry.
- Its structre is like the potentiometer.
- It has the ability to control a large current than the potentiometer.
- Their structure is wounded wire
- Its linear type is used in different wound insulating cylinder configurations.
- It works as a power control device like in dimmer of the fan, heater speed control.
- With the passage of time, its use for power control has limited now control circuits are being used.
- It has main 7 types rotary types is very common to use.
- It used to control power rating and adjustment in the power control
- It used to control the current of the circuit by varying resistance.
- It used in large power applications.
- It constructed with materials such as metallic ribbon, carbon disks.
- It connected in a series combination of a circuit.
That all about difference between potentiometer and rheostat. If you have any query ask in comments. Thanks for reading. Have a good day.