Hi students welcome to the new post. In this post, we will learn Difference Between PLC and DCS. Generally, there is two main types of control process used in industries that are PLC and DCS. As their name are different but they have some features in common. PLC operates as central control device and regulates machines in the industry.
While DCS is a hub that is used to control different systems linked to it. In this post, we cover the basics of these two systems with the details and do their comparison with the details. So let get started Difference Between PLC and DCS.
Difference Between PLC and DCS
Introduction to PLC
- Programmable logic controllers (PLCs) is a new development for our industries. After its creation, our working in industries and controlling different devices has become very easier.
- It was intended for numerous input and output arrangements, higher temperature ranges, resistance to electrical sound, and opposition to pulsation and its effect.
- A PLC is like an actual system because the output of any process that is under the control of PLC depends on the inputs.
- From this, we can say that plc is generally a digital computer which builds for controlling the machine.
- Different from our personal computer it is prepared according to industry working situations and it consists of special input and outputs and its special programming language.
- At its creation time, it was considered the replacement of relay but due to many functional capabilities, it started working in numerous complicated industrial submissions.
- As its construction is the same as the computer, it has the ability to work not only for relays switching but also perform many applications like time calculation, counting, comparison, and processing of different analog signals.
- Programs for the controller and process of industrial apparatus and equipment are typically stored in battery-supported or non-volatile storage
Introduction to DCS
- The DCS stands for a distributed control system that is a computer-based controlling system used to regulate the different processes in industries.
- There are different control systems are linked to this network and there is no central point to regulate all components.
- This system decreases the prices for installation and has high reliability since helps to make regulation of process existing at local and distant.
- There is some similarities that exist between SCADA and DCS but with some differences that DCS employed at a larger level.
- The main components of the DCS system are the engineering team, operating room, local controller, medium for communication.
- It is mostly employed at the large level controlling systems or plants where different processes are occurring at the same time.
- This system offers such benefits that if any component is faulted then another part of the system continues to operate.
- Its scanning time is a hundred to five hundred milliseconds.
- If fault occurs can be removed easily than the PLC.
- Due to the complicated system is costly.
- The first time was used in 1975
That is all about the Difference Between PLC and DCS. If you have any further query ask in the comments. Thanks for reading have a nice day.
Special offer: $2 for 1-8 layer PCBs
Free SMT Assembly Monthly
New arrival for Aluminum boards, only $2