Hello guys, I hope you all are doing great. In today’s tutorial, we will discuss the Difference Between Microprocessor and Microcontroller. the microprocessor is an integrated circuit created to do general-purpose digital functions. While microcontroller is an integrated circuit that consists of numerous components to do a certain function.
With that there is another difference is that the printed circuit board used in a microprocessor is large but the size of the printed circuit board is smaller in a microcontroller. In today’s post, we will have a detailed look at both microcontrollers and microprocessors and find their differences. So let’s get started with Difference Between Microprocessor and Microcontroller.
Difference Between Microprocessor and Microcontroller
- This is a computer processor that is configured with the data processing unit at the motherboard.
- It gets data in form of binary numbers and processes it and saves it to the memory unit.
- It comes with sequential and combination logic.
- Its operation based on the different numerical and symbolic representation
- Its configuration is based on VLSI where the large unit is compacted in a single unit make it cost-effective.
- These are created with the use of MOS or metal oxide process..
- It consists of numerous data transfer instructions.
- Its price is large.
- The size of the printed circuit board used for the microprocessor is large.
- Its weight is large.
- Its processing speed is one gigahertz.
- It uses general-purpose computers.
- Its efficiency is less than the microcontroller.
- It comes with one unit so has less cost.
- The use of the process has reduced the usage of the different computers that are employed in a single or more process.
- The main operational units in the microprocessor are arithmetic logic units, registers, and control units.
- It consumes a large amount of power.
- It is a less reliable device.
- Examples of microprocessors are 8085.
- It is like a small size computer whose inner circuitry is arranged at the IC created through metal oxide semiconductor.
- It comes with a single CPU with memory units.
- Its invention becomes possible with the creation of MOSFET
- There is different component are arranged on it like RAM, OPTM rom.
- It used to operate for embedded applications.
- It also used as a personal computer
- There is a certain type of controller that has 4 bits and can operate at four kilohertz of frequency
- Its price is less.
- Its processing speed is eight to fifty megahertz.
- it functions in such a system that is created for a certain use.
- Its efficiency is high.
- It is like the SoC but has some difference SoC uses controller as its elements but the controller not
- It used in different controlling devices like engines of vehicles, toys.
- It can be employed for the digital control process.
- For non-digital control system mixed signals controller is used
- It has less few of data transfer instructions.
- It uses less power than the microprocessor.
- Its reliability is high.
- Its examples are intel 8051, AVR, MIPS,MAX 32600, MAX32625
That detailed post about difference between microprocessor and microcontroller. If you have any query ask in comments. Thanks for reading. have a good day.