Hi friends welcome to the new post. In this post, we will discuss the 2024 Comprehensive Guide on 3s lipo Battery & its Applications, Pros & Cons. The need for effective and high-power batteries is increasing. The most common battery is the 3s Lipo battery. In this post, we will cover the details of 3S Lipo batteries, working features, and other parameters. So let’s get started with 3s lipo battery
What is a 3s Lipo Battery?
The 3s Lipo battery is a rechargeable lithium polymer battery that has three cells connected in a series combination. Each cell has 3.7 volts resulting in a total nominal volts of 11.1 volts for the complete battery pack. S in this 3S is a series that denotes cells are connected in chain like design to increase voltage while maintaining the same capacity.
How Does a 3s Lipo Battery Work?
if the 3s Lipo battery is charged lithium ions are negative from the positive electrode and get discharged and reverse the charging process. This is the process of battery energy storing and releasing
Advantages of Using 3s Lipo Batteries
High Energy Density
3s Lipo batteries have a high energy density which means they store energy in a compact size. That is best for limited-space applications.
Lightweight and Compact Design
These batteries are less than eight and have thin structures due to their advanced chemistry. These parameters are portable electric devices and drones since in these applications weight is the main factor
High Discharge Rates
These batteries come with high discharge rates making them good for needing abrupt surge of power. These parameters are high-performance RC projects and electrical vehicles
Low Self-Discharge Rate
Then other batteries 3S batteries have less self-discharge rate. It shows they can save charge for a longer duration reducing the need of common recharging for battery
Versatility and Compatibility
The 3s Lipo batteries come in different sizes and shapes making them good and compatible with different devices and projects
Disadvantages of 3s Lipo Batteries
. Overcharging, mishandling, or puncturing of the battery results in the thermal runaway battery to ge explode
Specialized Charging and Handling Requirements
To ensure the safety and longer working of 3s Lipo batteries, use a special type of charge and proper handling. follow the details for charging and storing a battery to avoid any hazards.
These batteries can casues degradation which means hold fewer charges than in new conditions. This degradation resulted due tocharge cycle, storage conditions, and temperature.
Applications of 3s Lipo Batteries
RC Hobby and Drones
3s Lipo batteries are commonly used power supply for RC and drone operators due to their less weight high energy output and feature to handle high discharge rates
The automotive industry needs 3s Lipo batteries in electrical vehicles of high energy efficiency and capacity to handle high-power motors
laptops, Smartphones, and portable electronic projects get the advantages of thin design and high energy density of these batteries to longer use between charges
Handling and Maintaining 3s Lipo Batteries
if the battery is not in use store it in dry and cool places and put it away from high temperatures and sunlight
Charging Best Practices
Use an accurate charger and do not leave the battery unattended during charging. Reduces the discharging and overcharging of battery
Disposed of damaged or older batteries correct recycling to avoid environmental contamination.
Understanding LiPo Battery Numbers
LiPo batteries, that is full-form Lithium Polymer batteries, is the main part of devices like laptops, RC vehicles mobile phones, and other applications. The numbers mentioned on batteries are as
- Voltage (V): Operaign vols of LiPo battery are the electrical potential difference between the positive and negative ends. LiPo ave different voltage values from 3.7V (one cell) and 7.4V (2 cells).
- Capacity (mAh): LiPo battery capacity defines the amount of electric charge that is stored and provided. it is measured in (mAh) and defines how much current a battery can offer with a certain duration. Normally high mAh values explain the operating time before the battery requires recharging
For instance, the LiPo battery is labeled as 3.7V 2200mAh. here
- The voltage value is 3.7V, which means it is a cell battery
- 2200mAh, which shows that the battery can provide 2200 milliampere-hours of current.
What is LiPo Battery Voltage?
A LiPo cell comes with a nominal volt value of 3.7 volts. For a 7.4 volt battery, that means there are 2 cells in a series combination connected. it is normally heard that “2S” battery pack are two cells in a Series.
voltage ranges for different LiPo battery packs:
|Number of Cells
11.1 v lipo battery
An 11.1V LiPo battery comes with a 3-cell pack. Each cell in this battery has 3.7 volts total volts are 11.1 volts. The completed charge voltage on the LiPo cell is 4.2 volts so the 3-cell LiPo battery has 12.6 volts in complete charge. The minimum voltage for 3 3-cell LiPo battery is nine volts. If the battery gets discharged below nine votes it is damaged permanently.
11.1V LiPo batteries are used in airsoft guns, planes remote control cars, and some other devices that require a high-voltage power supply. it used due to its long-lasting battery life
3s lipo rc battery
A 3S LiPo battery rechargeable lithium polymer battery which is mostly in radio-controlled (RC) vehicles. Its nominal volts are 11.1 vols and comes with 3 single polymer cells. 3S lipo battery can be used, from 500 mAh to 5000 mAh.
features of a 3S LiPo RC battery:
- it has high energy density which means it stores high energy in small areas. So best to use RC vehicles that need high power like racing cars and helicopters.
- These batteries offer longer duration and batteries work for 200 charge cycles.
- LiPo batteries get discharged at high power in less time. So best for where high-speed projects
What is LiPo battery Cell Count?
The cell count of a LiPo battery is the number of cells connected in series in the battery pack. Cell count denoted with S such as lipo battery comes with two cells in series and 3S has 3 cells in series. Cell counts also explain battery voltage. Each lipo cell has 3.7 volts. 2s lipo battery ash 7.4 volts, and 3s lipo battery has 11.1 volts. The capacity of cells is also based on cell count. Capacity measured in mAh and energy stored in battery The capacity of a LiPo battery is not affected by cell count
What is LiPo Battery Capacity?
The capacity of a LiPo battery means the amount of energy it can store and that is measured in milliampere-hours (mAh) or ampere-hours (Ah). Normal capacity is 28000 Mah,
What is Discharge Rating (C Rating)?
A C-rate is a measurement of the rate at which the battery is discharged relative to the highest capacity. The 1C rate is tha discharge current that completely discharges the battery in one hour. In case of a capacity of 100 Amp-hrs, a discharge current of 100 Amps
discharge C rate=Discharge current/Battery capacity
Such as if a 3.7v 1000mAh LiPo battery discharges 5000mA then its
discharge C rate=5000mA/1000mAh=5C.
relationship between C rating and discharge time:
Internal Resistance and Its Effects on LiPo Batteries
Internal resistance is the inherent resistance of the battery for current flow. Measured in milliohms and its value based on the material used in the electrode and the electrolyte also, battery design. the battery operates well if has less resistance. since less internal resistance casues less loss during discharging. It increases longer runtime and a high discharge rate.
Affect on LiPo Battery
- The battery will not work for a longer duration with less internal resistance
- The battery has high current with low inner resistance
- it causes high heat generation
factors that can take part in high internal resistance in LiPo batteries are
- With teh time inner resistance the LiPo battery increases
- Physical damage occurs on the battery increases internal resistance
- Overcharging or undercharging a LiPo battery also increases internal resistance
How to Minimize Internal Resistance
- Use high-quality materials.
- Design the battery for low resistance.
- Avoid damage.
- Inspect the battery regularly.
- Store the battery properly.
- Use a high-quality charger.
Internal Structure of a Lithium Polymer Battery
- It has four components that are positive electrodes, and negative electrodes. separator and electrolyte. The seperator can be polymer like a microporous film of polyethylene, if cel comes with a liquid electrolyte it comes with a polymer component. That positive electrode is also divided into 3 parts that are the lithium-transition-metal-oxide (LiCoO2 or LiMn2O4), a conductive additive, and a polymer binder of poly(vinylidene fluoride) (PVdF).
- A negative electrode can also have 3 parts replacing carbon with lithium-metal-oxide. The basic difference between lithium polymer cells and lithium-ion cells is the physical phase of the electrolyte like LiPo cells use dry solid, gel-like while Li-ion cells use liquid electrolytes.
How do I know what size LiPo battery to buy?
Here are some factors to study when choosing a LiPo battery size:
- Lipo battery comes for different voltage values 3s to 6s. The voltage of the battery is the power output of the battery
- Battery capacity is measured in mAh. That defines how much time a battery can operate
- Lipo batteries come in differnt sizes. dimensions of the battery will define if it will fit in your device..
What is a safe low voltage for 3S LiPo?
A safe less voltage for a 3S LiPo battery is 3.2 volts per cell. That shows that the total voltage of the battery must not low than 9.6 volts. If the battery is discharged below this voltage, it can be damaged.
How many amps do you charge a 3S LiPo at?
The amps values that you charge a 3S LiPo at are based on the capacity of the battery. The basic principle is to charge a LiPo battery at a rate of 1C. For instance, if you have a 1000mAh battery, you should charge it at a rate of 1 amp.
How many volts should a 3S LiPo charge to?
A 3S LiPo battery must be charged to 4.2 volts per cell. That means that the total voltage of the battery must be 12.6 volts. If the battery is charged over this voltage value get damaged
What is the maximum voltage for a 3 cell LiPo battery?
The safe voltage range for a standard lipo battery cell is 3.2v to 4.2v. Volts less than 3.2v and the battery can be permanently damaged. Larger than 4.2v and chances of a battery bursting into flames.
What voltage is 7.4 v LiPo?
A 7.4V lipo in full discharged after reaching six volts and full charge is 8.4 volts. For longer battery life it can not be less than 7.4 volts
What voltage is a LiPo battery dead?
The voltage started from 4.2 maximum and lost to 3.7V for battery life. When volts become 3.4V the battery is dead and at 3.0V the cutoff circuitry disconnects the battery
What is the max charge on a 7.4 V LiPo battery?
The highest charging voltage is 4.20V per cell. there are 2 cells in series for this pack highest volts for this pack is 8.40V.
What voltage is a full charge 12V LiPo?
A full-charge 12V LiPo battery will have a voltage of 13.3-13.4v. .
What is the maximum charge voltage?
The maximum charge voltage for a battery is the voltage that the battery must not be charged above. For a LiPo battery, the maximum charge voltage is 3.2v to 4.2v volts per cell.
What is the maximum voltage of a 12v battery?
The maximum voltage of a 12v battery is 14.7V
What is a good voltage for a 12v battery?
A good voltage for a 12v battery is 12.6 volts.