Hi friends welcome to the new post. In this post, we will discuss the 2023 Comprehensive Guide on 3s lipo Battery & its Applications, Pros & Cons. Currently, the need for effective and high-power batteries is increasing. One most battery that is very common and growing fastly is the 3s Lipo battery. In this post, we will cover the details of 3S Lipo batteries, working features, and other parameters. So let’s get started with 3s lipo battery
What is a 3s Lipo Battery?
The 3s Lipo battery is a rechargeable lithium polymer battery that comes with 3 cells connected in series. Every cell comes with 3.7 volts, which causes the total nominal voltage of 11.1 volts for the complete battery pack. S in the 3s is a series which means cells are connected in a chain-like structure to increase voltage during maintaining the same capacity.
How Does a 3s Lipo Battery Work?
If the 3s Lipo battery is charged, the lithium ions are negative from the positive electrode and get discharged and the opposite in the charging process. In this way battery stores and releases energy
Advantages of Using 3s Lipo Batteries
High Energy Density
3s Lipo batteries come with high energy density, which means they can stores energy in a compact size. It makes the best option for limited-space applications.
Lightweight and Compact Design
These batteries are less weight and come with a thin structure due to their advanced chemistry. These features are a benefit of these portable electric devices and drones since in these applications weight is the main factor
High Discharge Rates
These batteries have high discharge rates making them best for projects that need an abrupt surge of power. These features are important in high-performance RC projects and electrical vehicles
Low Self-Discharge Rate
As compared to other types of batteries, 3sbattuers have less self-discharge rate. It means they can retain their charge for a longer duration decreasing the requirements of common recharging for battery
Versatility and Compatibility
The 3s Lipo batteries have different sizes and shapes making them good and compatible with different devices and projects
Disadvantages of 3s Lipo Batteries
As these batteries have different advantages also cause some disadvantages. Overcharging, mishandling, or puncturing of the battery causes thermal runaway resulting in the battery to ge explode
Specialized Charging and Handling Requirements
To make sure the safety and longer working of 3s Lipo batteries, there is a need for specialized chargers and proper handling. Users must follow the guidelines for charging and storing a battery to avoid any hazards.
With time these batteries can cause degradation which means hold fewer charges than new conditions. This degradation is caused by different factors like charge cycle, storage conditions, and temperature.
Applications of 3s Lipo Batteries
RC Hobby and Drones
3s Lipo batteries are a very common source of power for RC enthusiasts and drone operators due to their less weight high energy output and feature to handle high discharge rates
The automotive industry also demands the 3s Lipo batteries in electric vehicles due to their high energy efficiency and capacity to handle high-power motors
laptops, Smartphones, and other portable electronic projects get the benefits of thin design and high energy density of these batteries to offer longer use between charges
Tips for Handling and Maintaining 3s Lipo Batteries
If it is not in use store these batteries in dry and cool places and put them away for high temperatures and sunlight
Charging Best Practices
Must use the proper charger and not leave the battery unattended during charging. Miize the discharging and overcharging battery
Disposed of damaged or older batteries through accurate recycling to avoid environmental contamination.
Understanding LiPo Battery Numbers
LiPo batteries, that is full-form Lithium Polymer batteries, are mostly used in different devices like laptops, rc vehicles mobile phones, and other applications. They are famous due to their high energy density and compact size. The number mentioned with battery are their two main features listed here
- Voltage (V): The voltage rating of a LiPo battery defines the electrical potential difference between positive and negative terminals. LiPo batteries normally come in different voltage ranges with a common value is 3.7V (one cell) and 7.4V (2 cells). The voltage is important since it affects the power supply to devices that power the battery
- Capacity (mAh): The capacity of the LiPo battery defines the amount of electric charge that can be stored and provided. it is measured in (mAh) and shows how much current a battery can provide with a certain duration. Normally high mAh values define the operating time before the battery needs recharging
For instance, you can see a LiPo battery labeled as “3.7V 2200mAh.” here
- The voltage value is 3.7V, which means it is one cell battery
- The capacity is 2200mAh, which shows that the battery can provide 2200 milliampere-hours of current.
What is LiPo Battery Voltage?
The voltage of a LiPo battery is based on the number of cells existing in the pack. The one LiPo cell comes with a nominal voltage of 3.7V, so a 2S pack that comes with two cells in the pack will provide 4V, a 3S pack will have a voltage value of about 11.1V, and so on.
The highest value of the voltage LiPo cell is 4.2V, and the least voltage value is 3.2V. If a LiPo cell is getting discharged less than 3.2V, it can be permanently damaged.
It is significant to retain batteries in safe voltage value. If the liPo battery is overcharged it can become hot or get fire. If the lipo battery is discharged very low it can get permanently damaged
voltage ranges for different LiPo battery packs:
|Number of Cells||Voltage Range|
11.1 v lipo battery
An 11.1V LiPo battery is a 3-cell battery pack. Every cell in this battery comes with a nominal voltage of 3.7 volts so 3 cell battery pack has 11.1V.
The completed charged voltage on a LiPo cell is about 4.2V, therefore 3cell LiPo battery can have 12.6V when completely charged. The least voltage for a 3-cell LiPo battery is 9V. If the battery gets discharged below 9V, it can get damaged permanently
11.1V LiPo batteries are mostly used in airsoft guns, planes and remote control cars, and other devices that need a high-voltage power supply. They are also famous due to electronic devices that need a long-lasting battery life
3s lipo rc battery
A 3S LiPo battery is a rechargeable lithium polymer battery which mostly in radio-controlled (RC) vehicles. Its nominal volts are 11.1 vols and created with 3 singles polymer cells. 3S lipo battery can be used, from 500 mAh to 5000 mAh.
features of a 3S LiPo RC battery:
- High energy density: 3S LiPo batteries come with high energy density which means they store high energy in small areas. That makes them best for RC vehicles that need high power like racing cars and helicopters.
- Long lifespan: These batteries provide longer duration and some batteries can work for 200 charge cycles.
- High discharge rate: LiPo batteries can get discharge high power in small intervals. That makes them good for projects where high speed needed
What is LiPo battery Cell Count
The cell count of a LiPo battery defines the number of cells that are connected in a series combination in a battery pack. The cell count normally shows as S., For example, a lipo battery has 2 cells in a series while a 3S battery has 3 cells in series
The cell count of a battery defines the voltage of the battery. Every lipo cell comes with 3.7 volts, so a 2S LiPo battery has a voltage of 7.4 volts (2 x 3.7 volts), while a 3S LiPo battery provides the has a voltage of 11.1 volts
The cell count also has an effect on the capacity of the battery. The capacity of the battery is measured in milliamp hours (mAh), and it defines the energy amount that the battery can store. The capacity of a LiPo battery is not get affected by cell count
What is LiPo Battery Capacity?
LiPo battery capacity is the energy that a lipo battery can store. It is measured in mAh. The high mAh means a longer battery will work. For instance, a 1000mAh LiPo battery can offer 1000 milliamps of current in one hour, and 500 mA of current in 2 hours. Battery capacity is affected by the cell count chemistry of cells and battery temperature. The cell count is the cell number that is connected in series in the battery pack. The chemistry of the cell defines the lithium-ion chemistry that is used in the cells. The temperature of the battery also affects battery capacity since the battery chemical reaction is low at less temperatures
What is Discharge Rating (C Rating)?
A discharge rating, also called a C rating, is a measurement of the rate at which a battery can be discharged. It is measured by dividing the capacity of the battery in (Ah) by the discharge current in amps. For instance, a battery with a capacity of 10 Ah and a discharge current of 10 amp comes with a C rating of 1
With the high value of the C rating, the discharging will be faster. The battery with a C rating of 1 can be discharged in one hour, while the battery with a C rating get discharged in 30 minutes
The C rating is significant to discuss when selecting batteries for certain applications. For instance, if you need a battery that can provide high power in a small duration there is a need to select a battery with a high C rating
relationship between C rating and discharge time:
|C Rating||Discharge Time|
Internal Resistance and Its Effects on LiPo Batteries
Internal resistance is the inherent resistance of the battery provided to current flow. It is measured in milliohms (mΩ) and it is affected by the material used in the electrode and the electrolyte also, the design of the battery itself.
Normally, batteries with less inner resistance will have a good operation than those with high inner resistance batterie. it is due to less inner resistance meaning that there is less energy loss during discharging process that causes longer runtime and high discharge rates
For LiPo batteries, internal resistance affects the battery working. The high inner resistance can cause different issues
- Reduced runtime: The battery will not work for a longer duration as works with less inner resistance
- Decreased discharge rate: The battery can provide a high current with low internal resistance.
- Increased heat generation: The battery will produce heat during the discharge process which decreases the operating life
Different factors that can take part in high internal resistance in LiPo batteries are
- Aging: The internal resistance of a LiPo battery will naturally increase with time
- Damage: Physical damage to the battery, like a crush or puncture, can increase internal resistance
- Improper charging: Overcharging or undercharging a LiPo battery also increases internal resistance
How to Minimize Internal Resistance
- Use high-quality materials. The materials used in the electrodes and electrolytes also affect the internal resistance. The use of quality materials with less resistivity decreases internal resistance.
- Design the battery for low resistance. The design of the battery can also affect the internal resistance. For example, using a large surface area for the electrodes decreases the resistance
- Avoid damage. Physical damage of the battery can increase the internal resistance. It is good to handle batteries with care to avoid damage.
- Store the battery properly. high temperatures can increase the inner resistance of a battery. It is significant to store batteries in a cool, dry place.
- Use a high-quality charger. A high-quality charger will avoid overcharging and undercharging, which can both increase inner resistance.
- Inspect the battery regularly. If you face any signs of damage, like swelling or leaking, it is significant to replace the battery instantly
Internal Structure of a Lithium Polymer Battery
- Positive electrode: The positive electrode is created with lithium-transition-metal-oxide, like LiCoO2 or LiMn2O4. This material is used for storing the positive charge in the battery.
- Negative electrode: The negative electrode is created with carbon, like graphite. This material is responsible for storing the negative charge in the battery.
- Separator: The separator is a thin, porous film that parted the positive and negative electrodes. It avoid the electrodes from touching each other, which would cause a short circuit.
- Electrolyte: The electrolyte is a liquid or gel that conducts ions between the positive and negative electrodes. It provides the lithium ions to move between the electrodes, that is how the battery stores and releases energy.
With these 4 components, lithium polymer batteries also comes with a current collector, a package, and a protection circuit.
- Current collector: The current collector is a metallic foil that gets the electrons from the negative electrode and provides them to the external size of the battery.
- Package: The packaging is the external casing of the battery. It protects the internal components from damage and offers a way to connect the battery to a device.
- Protection circuit: The protection circuit is a small electronic circuit that avoids the battery from being overcharged or over-discharged. It also protects the battery from short circuits.
How do I know what size LiPo battery to buy?
Here are some factors to study when choosing a LiPo battery size:
- The voltage of the battery. LiPo batteries provide different voltages, from 3S to 6S. The voltage of the battery will defines the power output of the battery.
- The capacity of the battery. The capacity of the battery is calculated in milliamp-hours (mAh). The capacity of the battery will define how long the battery will operate
- The dimensions of the battery. LiPo batteries have different sizes and options. The dimensions of the battery will define if it will fit in your device..
What is a safe low voltage for 3S LiPo?
A safe less voltage for a 3S LiPo battery is 3.2 volts per cell. That shows that the total voltage of the battery must not low than 9.6 volts. If the battery is discharged below this voltage, it can be damaged.
How many amps do you charge a 3S LiPo at?
The amps values that you charge a 3S LiPo at are based on the capacity of the battery. The basic principle is to charge a LiPo battery at a rate of 1C. For instance, if you have a 1000mAh battery, you should charge it at a rate of 1 amp.
How many volts should a 3S LiPo charge to?
A 3S LiPo battery must be charged to 4.2 volts per cell. That defines that the total voltage of the battery must be 12.6 volts. If the battery is charged over this voltage value get damaged
What is the maximum voltage for a 3 cell LiPo battery?
The maximum voltage for a 3-cell LiPo battery is 4.2 volts per cell. The total voltage of the battery must not be high than 12.6 volts. If the battery is charged above this voltage, it gets damaged.
What voltage is 7.4 v LiPo?
A 7.4V LiPo battery is a 3S LiPo battery. That defines that the battery has 3 cells, and every of the cell is 3.7 volts. The total voltage of the battery will be 3 * 3.7 = 11.1 volts.
What voltage is a LiPo battery dead?
A LiPo battery is considered dead when the voltage of the battery loss is below 3.2 volts per cell. This means that the total voltage of the battery must be less then 9.6 volts.
What is the max charge on a 7.4 V LiPo battery?
The maximum charge on a 7.4 V LiPo battery is 4.2 volts per cell. The total voltage of the battery must not be high than 14.8 volts. d
What voltage is a full charge 12V LiPo?
A full-charge 12V LiPo battery will have a voltage of 12.6 volts. it is the maximum voltage that a 12V LiPo battery must charge to.
What is the maximum charge voltage?
The maximum charge voltage for a battery is the voltage that the battery must not be charged above. For a LiPo battery, the maximum charge voltage is 4.2 volts per cell.
What is the maximum voltage of a 12v battery?
The maximum voltage of a 12v battery is 14.8 volts.
What is a good voltage for a 12v battery?
A good voltage for a 12v battery is 12.6 volts.