Hello readers welcome to the new post. Here we will discuss CR123 vs CR123A Batteries: Which Ones Are Better? Batteries are important components to deliver power to different electronic devices. There are different types of batteries that exist in the market, but CR123 and CR123A batteries are commonly used in different devices. But there are some differences between these batteries and which one is best for which application here we will cover so let’s get started with CR123 vs CR123A Batteries:
Introduction to CR123 vs CR123A Batteries
Batteries are considered as the lifeline of electronic devices, so make sure that work accurately. CR123 and CR123A batteries are non-rechargeable batteries but provide different features and uses. For understanding these parameters must have knowledge of their different parameters with detailed
Understanding Battery Types
What are CR123 Batteries?
CR123 batteries are cylinder-like structure lithium batteries also called 16340 batteries. They are mostly used in different devices like digital cameras, medical equipment, flashlights, and more. CR123 batteries are famous due to their stable performance, high energy density, and ability to offer consistent power output.
1.2 What are CR123A Batteries?
CR123A battery is like the CR123 batteries in the form of size and shape, but they cannot be interchangeable. CR123A batteries have more power and high capacity that make them best for high-drain devices like security systems, tactical flashlights, , and other electronics that need a burst of power.
Chemistry and Composition
These two batteries come with lithium chemistry, which provides many advantages like less weight structure and high-density energy. they come with different cathode materials like CR123A batteries using lithium iron disulfide (LiFeS2), used for good performance in high-drain conditions
Voltage and Capacity
CR123 batteries normally offer a stable voltage of 3 volts, while CR123A batteries have a higher voltage, normally about 3.2 volts. For capacity, CR123A batteries provide a high energy reserve, helping devices to run longer before replacement
Shelf Life and Discharge Rate
These two batteries provide a good shelf life, with less self-discharge with time. CR123A batteries, show less self-discharge rate, making them best for infrequently used devices or emergency conditions
CR123 batteries are mostly used for photography devices like digital cameras and flashes due to their stable voltage output and reliable function. Though, professional photographers can use CR123A batteries when dealing with high-frame-rate shots or external flashes that need a fast burst of power.
Flashlights and Tactical Gear
Tactical flashlights and gear used in law enforcement and military use often need CR123A batteries for their good performance in high-intensity situations.
in home security systems or outdoor surveillance cameras, CR123A batteries are mostly used, making sure uninterrupted function and dependable operation
CR123A batteries mostly come with high energy density, which means that can store more energy in a small packaging package, offering longer-lasting power in compatible devices.
Both batteries work well in high-temperature conditions but CR123A batteries have somewhat advantages when they work in cold environments.
Durability and Leakage
CR123 batteries are famous for their leak-resistant design, make sure that they won’t damage devices even if they are not used for longer duration. CR123A batteries are durable and resistant to leakage due to their improved cathode materials,
CR123A batteries cost is high than CR123 batteries. Though, their longer working life and higher capacity can offset this cost in the longer duration
Longevity and Replacement Frequency
CR123A batteries work for longer-duration high-drain devices and decrease the frequency of replacements than to CR123 batteries.
Disposable vs. Rechargeable Options
These two are non-rechargeable and cause a high effect due to the disposal of used batteries.
Recycling and Disposal
It’s important to recycle used batteries accurately to reduce their environmental conditions. Many other standards provide battery recycling programs, making them easily dispose of them responsibly.
CR123 Vs CR123A- Detailed Comparison
|Aspect||CR123 Battery||CR123A Battery|
|Chemistry and Composition||Lithium||Lithium|
|Voltage||3 volts||3.2 volts|
|Capacity||Lower capacity||Higher capacity|
|Applications||Digital cameras, flashlights||Tactical gear, security systems|
|Performance in High-Drain Devices||Moderate||Excellent|
|Performance in Extreme Temperatures||Good||Better|
|Initial Cost||Lower||Slightly higher|
|Longevity||Shorter lifespan||Longer lifespan|
|Environmental Impact||Not rechargeable, needs proper disposal||Not rechargeable, needs proper disposal|
CR123 and CR123a Name Meaning
From their name,, these two batteries CR123 and CR123A look the same. The difference between the two names is just a matter of manufacturer preference. Some manufacturers called the name CR123, some use CR123A. The “A” at the end of the name CR123A is a reference that defines that the battery is 2/3 the size of a standard A-size battery.
The initial two letters in the name, CR, are used for “lithium”. The “R” define “round”, which define that the battery is a cylindrical structure. The numbers 123 define the size of the battery. Here, 123 means that the battery is 2/3 the standard length of an A-size battery.
So, if you use a battery labeled CR123 or CR123A, it can be ensured that it is a similar type of battery.
Quick Rundown of CR123 & CR123A Batteries
|Dimensions||17 x 34.5 mm||17 x 34 mm|
|Voltage||3 V||3 V|
|Charging voltage||1.2 V||1.5 V|
|Peak output||3.6 A||4.2 A|
|Lifespan||2-5 years||3-6 years|
|Compatibility||Most devices||Most devices|
Are CR123 And CR123a The Same?
Yes, they are the same batteries. The main difference between the 2 is the creator’s preference for the name. The. The “A” in CR123A is a reference to the fact that the battery is 2/4 the size of a standard A-size battery.
Are CR123 And CR123a Interchangeable?
Yes, CR123 and CR123A batteries are interchangeable. They come in similar sizes and have some volts though there are some devices that can use only one of them. if you are not sure which one to use follow the instruction of the manufacturers.
The basic difference between the batteries is the charging voltage. CR123A can be charged at 1.5 volts and CR123 charges at 1.2 volts. It shows that the CR123a battery can provide high output than the CR123 output voltage. Though the difference in operation is not important. In some cases, you use CR123 or CR123A batteries interchangeably. Though if you are using a device that needs high peak output then the CR123A battery can give you slightly better performance.
How Do I Know If My Batteries Need To Be Replaced?
- The device won’t turn on. it is a common symbol that the battery has to be replaced. If you are not on the even after charging it is a chance that the battery dead
- The device turns on but doesn’t work properly. If your devices get on but do not work accurately, like if the light is dim or devices do not hold the charge, then it is a chance that the battery has to be replaced
- The batteries are leaking or corroded. If there is leaking or corrosion on the batteries, then they must b replaced as soon as possible. Leaking batteries can damage the devices they are using and corroded batteries cause electrical issues
- The batteries are old. The operating life of the battery is about two to five years if they are older than that they are likely to change it. It is good to change them if they do not have signs of any problem
CR123A Features and Benefits
- High energy density: These batteries come with high energy density, which shows that they can offer high power in small structures. it makes them best for devices that need high power like flashlights and cameras.
- Long lifespan: CR123A batteries can work for a longer duration, normally for 2 to 5 years. it means that you do not have to worry about running out of power as often as other batteries.
- Wide range of applications: CR123A batteries supported a wide range of devices, like flashlights, cameras, medical devices, and more. it makes them the best option for diferent applications.
- Reliable performance: CR123A batteries offer reliable operation in differnt conditions, like extreme temperatures and high-drain applications. So they used in-demand projects.
- Safe and stable: CR123A batteries are safe and reliable, making them a good option for devices that are used in sensitive conditions
- Flashlights: CR123A batteries are best for flashlights because they offer high power in a small structure This makes them good for flashlights that need to be brighter and reliable.
- Cameras: They are the best option for cameras specially for digital cameras, and cameras that use electronic flash. it can provide high power during small intervals that make them best for videos or photo
- Medical equipment: These batteries are also used in medical devices like otoscopes, stethoscopes, and blood pressure monitors. Since they are reliable and can provide power output in different applications.
- Tools: it is also used in different tools like power tools, laser pointers, and drills. Since they can provide a lot of power for a shorter duration, which is good tools that need to be used in demanding conditions
- Other devices: These batteries are also used in different devices like radios GPS devices, and electronic cigarettes. Since they are reliable and versatile batteries that can be used in different types of applications.
- 16340: The 16340 battery is a lithium-ion battery that is the same size and voltage as the CR123A battery. It can be used in place of CR123A batteries in some devices. Though, it is significant to note that 16340 are rechargeable while CR123A batteries are non-rechargeable
- DL123: The DL123 battery is a lithium manganese dioxide battery that comes with the same size and voltage likeCR123A battery. it is also used interchangeably in CR123A batteries in most devices.
- EL123A: it is a lithium manganese dioxide battery that has the same size and voltage as a CR123A battery. It can be used interchangeably used with CR123A batteries
- CR17335: The CR17335 battery is a lithium thionyl chloride battery which is the same size and voltage as the CR123A battery. It can be interchanged with CR123A batteries. Though it is insignificant to note that CR17335 batteries are not as common as CR123A batteries, so they can be difficult to get
What is best CR123 vs CR123A?
There is no big difference between CR123 and CR123A batteries. The two have the same size and voltage and can be interchanged. The only difference is that CR123A batteries are sometimes charged at a high voltage than CR123 batteries. Though, this is not a big difference, and some devices not be affected.
Can I use CR123 for CR123A?
Yes, we can use CR123 for CR123A. The batteries are the same size and voltage, so they will work in most devices. Though, some devices can be designed to only work with CR123A batteries, so it is best to check the device’s datasheet before using a any type of battery.
How long does a CR123A last?
The working life of the CR123A battery changes based on the device it is used in and the amount of power it draws. Though, in general, a CR123A battery can last for some hours to some days.
Why use CR123 batteries?
CR123 batteries are employed in different devices, like flashlights, cameras, and medical devices. They are best because they provide a high voltage and a longer life. CR123 batteries are also relatively smaller and lightweight, soused in portable devices
Do CR123 batteries leak?
CR123 batteries are not designed to leak. Though, if a battery is damaged or incorrectly stored, it can leak. If a CR123 battery gets leaks, it is significant to dispose of it correctly to avoid the leak from causing damage.
Is a CR123 battery rechargeable?
There are rechargeable CR123 batteries, but they are not as common as non-rechargeable CR123 batteries. Rechargeable CR123 batteries provide low voltage than non-rechargeable CR123 batteries, so they can not be best for all devices.
How many volts is a 123 battery?
A 123 battery is a 3-volt battery. it shows that it has a voltage of 3 volts.
How long do CR123A batteries take to charge?
The charging time for CR123A batteries changes based on the charger used. Though, in general, CR123A batteries can be completely charged in a few hours.
What is the alternative to CR123 batteries?
There are some alternatives to CR123 batteries. Some best alternatives are 18650 batteries, AA batteries, and AAA batteries. 18650 batteries are large size than CR123 batteries, but they provide a high voltage and a longer life. AA and AAA batteries are small in size than CR123 batteries, but they provide lower voltage and a small lifespan.
What is CR123 also called?
CR123 batteries are also known as, 3V Lithium, DL123A, and 3V Lithium Photo Battery.
What Duracell is equivalent to CR123?
The Duracell equivalent to CR123 is CR123.
What is the alternative name for CR123A?
The other name for CR123A is DL123.