Hi guys welcome to the new post. In this post, we will discuss What is a Group 24 Battery? Dimensions, Features, and Recommendations. In the case of vehicles and their electric systems batteries are important. it offers the required power for starting the engine and supplies the current to different parts of vehicles. There is one type of battery is Group 24 battery. In this post, we will cover the details of the Group 24 battery, its features, dimensions, and some related parameters. So let’s get started with What is a Group 24 Battery?
What is a Group 24 Battery?
Definition and Purpose
A Group 24 battery is a lead acid battery mostly used in differnt vehicles and marine applications. It is part of BCI group size classification, where every group size denotes certain physical dimensions and electrical parameters. These batteries are made to provide reliable and regular power for starting engines and operating electrical systems in different automobiles
Group 24 batteries are used in differnt vehicles such as RVs, cars, trucks, boats, and motorcycles. Their versatile features and compatibility with differnt models of vehicles make them famous for automotive enthusiasts and professionals.
Dimensions of Group 24 Batteries
Length and Width
Normally the Group 24 battery comes 10.2 inches in length and 6.8 inches in width. These values can changes based on the manufacturer but they are standard size for differnt brands
The height of a Group 24 battery is about 8.9 inches. There can be minor changes but measurement remains consistent.
The weight of these batteries is about 45 to 50 pounds. it is important to know that note the weight, especially when you install the battery in hard access points or if you have weight limitations for certain projects
Features of Group 24 Batteries
Most Group 24 batteries employ lead-acid technology, which has both flooded lead acid and absorbent glass batteries. Flooded batteries are more affordable while AGM batteries provide good safety measures maintenance-free working, and good performance in deep-cycle applications.
Reserve Capacity (RC)
The reserve capacity of a battery shows how long it can deliver a steady power supply if the charging system fails. These batteries normally come with good reserve capacity, making them fine in emergencies.
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA)
CCA calculates battery features to start an engine in cold conditions. These batteries normally come with CCA ratings to make sure the engine starting also in cold conditions
Flooded lead-acid batteries need regular maintenance like checking and topping up electrolyte levels. While AGM batteries do not need any maintenance, make they are effective and have less chance of leaks
Recommendations for Group 24 Batteries
Vehicle Type and Usage
For standard cars and trucks regular flooded lead acid batteries can suffice. Though if you have high-performance cars or use your vehicle in high conditions increment in high-quality AGm Group 24 battery can be a good option
Brand Reputation and Warranty
Use the batteris of famous brands that are famous for reliable and durable products. With that consider their warranty to save your investment
Check the customer reviews and feedback that can provide good details in the real-world operation of certain battery models. Check reviews that are according to your vehicles and use them to make the final decision
Tips for Maintaining Group 24 Batteries
Regular Inspection and Cleaning
Regular inspection of the battery for any damage signs or corrosion. Keep battery terminal clean and free from dust particle
The overcharging of the battery can cause premature failure of the battery. Make sure that your car charging systems working correctly to avoid overcharging
Extreme Temperature Considerations
High temperature can affect battery working. If you are in areas where the temperature is very low or high use a battery with a high value of CCA and RC ratings to handle high-temperature conditions
What Are the Pros of a Group 24 Battery?
- Longer lifespan: Group 24 batteries can operate for about ten years which is longer than conventional lead-acid batteris.
- Deep discharge capability: These batteris can be discharged to low value than other batteris, without damaging the battery. it makes them best for uses where the battery can be used for a longer duration of time at a low discharge rate
- Maintenance-free: These batteries need less maintenance so you do not have to add water or electrolyte to them. That makes them less maintenance for RVs and boats.
- High energy density: They also have high energy density which meant that they can store high energy in small areas. It makes a good option for limited spaces
Are There Lithium-Ion Group 24 Batteries?
- Lighter weight
- Longer lifespan
- Higher discharge rates
- Better performance in extreme temperatures
- No maintenance required
Some famous brands of lithium-ion group 24 batteries are
- Battle Born
- ELB Energy Group
- Goal Zero
What Vehicles Use Group 24 Batteries?
Group 24 batteries come with 12 are a type of 12-volt lead-acid battery that is commonly used in vehicles. They are typically found in older American cars, some Hondas, and GMs. They are also often used in boats and other recreational vehicles.
Here are some specific vehicles that use Group 24 batteries:
- Cadillac Eldorado (1971-1978)
- Chevrolet Caprice (1971-1990)
- Ford Crown Victoria (1979-2011)
- Lincoln Town Car (1981-2011)
- Mercury Grand Marquis (1979-2011)
- Pontiac Bonneville (1977-2005)
- Oldsmobile Delta 88 (1977-1999)
- Buick Electra (1977-1990)
- Chrysler Imperial (1975-1983)
What Is the Difference Between a Group 24 and Group 34 Battery?
The basic differences between a Group 24 and Group 34 battery are explained here
- Size: Group 24 batteries are one inch less than Group 34 batteries.
- CCA (Cold Cranking Amps): Group 24 batteries have low CCA ratings than Group 34 batteries.
- Reserve Capacity: Group 34 batteries normally come with shorter reserve features than Group 24 batteries.
- Chemistry: Group 24 batteries are normally flooded lead-acid batteries, and 34 battery groups can be flooded lead-acid, AGM, or gel cell batteries.
Here is a table that defines the differences between Group 24 and Group 34 batteries:
|Feature||Group 24||Group 34|
|Size||10.25 x 6.8125 x 8.875 inches||10.25 x 6.8125 x 7.875 inches|
|Reserve Capacity||140 minutes||100-145 minutes|
|Chemistry||Flooded lead-acid||Flooded lead-acid, AGM, or gel cell|
24 batteries’ mains dimensions are (L x W x H) 10.25 x 6.8125 x 8.875 inches (260 x 173 x 225 mm), but there are other subgroups also exists
|Subgroup||L x W x H (mm)||L x W x H (inches)|
|Group 24F||273 x 173 x 229||10 3/4 x 6 13/16 x 9|
|Group 24H||260 x 173 x 238||10 1/4 x 6 13/16 x 9 3/8|
|Group 24R||260 x 173 x 229||10 1/4 x 6 13/16 x 9|
|Group 24T||260 x 173 x 248||10 1/4 x 6 13/16 x 9 3/4|
How To Charge Group 24 Batteries
- Choose the right charger. The charger is selected based on battery type. These batter groups need a 12V charger. The ampere of the charger is based on the size of the battery. For instance, a 100Ah battery will use the charger with at least 10 amps of output.
- Prepare the battery. Before you start charging, ensure that the battery is clean and does not have any corrosion. You must also disconnect electrical device that is connected to the battery
- Connect the charger. Connect the opposite lead of the charger with the positive point of battery. After that connect the pin of the charger to the negative terminal of the battery
- Start the charger. On the charger and adjust it with the correct ampere value. The charger starts charging the battery.
- Monitor the battery. During the charging of the battery must note the voltage. The voltage must increase slowly with battery charges. OF voltage increases fastly then you have to decrease the ampere of the charger.
- Disconnect the charger. When the battery is completely charged disconnect the charger from the battery
Does Battery Group Size Matter On A Battery?
Yes, battery group size affects the battery. The battery group size deigns the physical dimension of the battery like its width, lenght, and height. It also defines the location of battery points. The battery group size is important since it makes sure the battery will accurately fit in projects that need it.
For instance, if you replace the battery in a car choose a battery that comes with a similar group size as the original battery. If you use a battery with a differnt group sie it cannot fit accurately in the battery tray or terminals cannon get the electrical connectors
What Are The Most Common Group 24 Battery Specs?
The commonly used Group 24 battery specs are:
- Dimensions: 10.25 x 6.8125 x 8.875 inches (260 x 173 x 225 mm)
- Terminals: Top-post
- Amp-hour rating: 75-100 Ah
- Reserve Capacity: 140-180 minutes
- Cold cranking amps: 500-840 CCA
Group 24 batteries are used in a different applications, including:
- Solar and off-grid systems
- RVs and boats
- Medical equipment
- UPS systems
- Electric vehicles
Does Group 24 Battery Have Any Drawbacks?
Yes, Group 24 batteries also have some disadvantages that are explained here
- Size: These batteries are larger size so they cannot fit in all devices
- Weight: They are also heavy so they can be difficult to transport and install
- Cost: Larger size makes them more costly than other batteries.
- Lifespan: They have short operating life than some other batteris
But, Group 24 batteries also have some advantages. That is
- Power: These batteris prpvdes high power they can use in different projects
- Performance: They work well in both high and low temperature conditions
- Durability: They are longer working and can handle high abuse.
Comparison between group 24 battery Vs group 27 battery
|ature||Group 24||Group 27|
|Dimensions||10.25 x 6.8125 x 8.875 inches (260 x 173 x 225 mm)||12.0625 x 6.8125 x 8.875 inches (306 x 173 x 225 mm)|
|Amp-hour rating||75-100 Ah||90-110 Ah|
|Reserve capacity||140-180 minutes||160-200 minutes|
|Cold cranking amps||500-840 CCA||600-900 CCA|
|Weight||45-60 pounds||50-70 pounds|
|Applications||UPS systems, electric, Solar, and off-grid systems, RVs and boats, medical equipment, vehicles||RVs and boats, Solar and off-grid systems, heavy-duty equipment, trolling motors|
Are Group 24 batteries and Group 27 Batteries interchangeable?
No, Group 24 and Group 27 batteries are not interchangeable. The basic difference is that these batteries is their size. Group 27 batteries are large size than Group 24 batteries. it means that Group 27 batteries are not connected to battery compartments that are made for Group 24 batteries.
In addition, Group 27 batteries come with a higher amp-hour rating and reserve capacity. It shows that they can provide high power and work for longer than Group 24 batteries. Though high amp hour rating and reserve cacpity also show that Group 27 batteries are heavy than Group 24 batteries.
If you need a battery that is more powerful and has a longer working life, then a Group 27 battery is the best option. Though, if you need a battery that is less weight, then a Group 24 battery is a good option
group 24 AGM battery
|Brand||Model||Amp-hour rating||CCA rating||Warranty|
|Interstate Batteries||UB12750||75 Ah||1000 CCA||3-year|
|Power Sonic||PS12750||75 Ah||850 CCA||2-year|
|Lifeline||GPL-24T||75 Ah||840 CCA||3-year|
|Trojan||T-1224||75 Ah||890 CCA||3-year|
group 24 car battery
|Brand||Model||Amp-hour rating||CCA rating||Warranty|
|Interstate Batteries||24M||75 Ah||840 CCA||3-year|
|Optima||D24||75 Ah||700 CCA||3-year|
|Odyssey||PC2400||80 Ah||850 CCA||3-year|
|NAPA||NAPA Legend Series||70 Ah||750 CCA||2-year|
What are the dimensions of a group 24 27 battery?
A group 24 battery dimensions are 10.25 x 6.8125 x 8.875 inches (26 x 17.3 x 22.5 cm). A group 27 battery have dimensions of 12.0625 x 6.8125 x 8.875 inches (30.6 x 17.3 x 22.5 cm).
What is the capacity of 24 batteries?
A Group 24 battery normally comes with an amp hour rating between 70 and 85.
What does a battery group size mean?
A battery group size is a standard method to define the physical dimensions of a battery. The group size is normally followed by a letter, that is battery type. For instance, a group 24 battery is a deep cycle battery that has dimensions 10.25 x 6.8125 x 8.875 inches.
What is the difference between group size 24 and 34?
The difference between group sizes 24 and 34 is the length of the battery. A group 24 battery is 24 inches longer, while a group 34 battery is 34 inches
What does group size 24 mean?
Group size 24 defines the dimensions of the battery. The number 24 shows that the battery is 24 inches long. The letters ‘G’ and ‘2’ are used to find the battery as a deep cycle battery.
What are the sizes of Group 24?
There are 3 main sizes of group 24 batteries:
- Group 24F: it is the common size of the group 24 battery. That is 10.25 x 6.8125 x 8.875 inches (26 x 17.3 x 22.5 cm).
- Group 24T: This size of the group 24 battery is taller than the group 24F. It values are 10.25 x 6.8125 x 9.875 inches (26 x 17.3 x 25 cm).
- Group 24R: This size of the group 24 battery is larger than the group 24F. What are 10.25 x 7.8125 x 8.875 inches (26 x 19.5 x 22.5 cm).
What does the size of each group mean?
The size of each group denotes the physical dimensions of the battery. The group size is normally followed by a letter, which defines the type of battery. For instance, a group 24F battery is a deep cycle battery that has values 10.25 x 6.8125 x 8.875 inches.
What is a group size explanation?
The group size of a battery is a standard method of defining the physical parameters of the battery. The group size is usually followed by a letter, which is the type of battery. For instance, a group 24 battery is a deep cycle battery that values 10.25 x 6.8125 x 8.875 inches. The group size is significant for compatibility with battery holders and other devices