Because to its distinct qualities, Rogers PCB is a type of printed circuit board that is frequently utilized in the electronics industry. This article will discuss Rogers’s PCB, including its characteristics, benefits, manufacturing issues, and applications.
What is Rogers PCB?
- A printed circuit board known as a Rogers PCB employs Rogers material as its primary substrate.
- A high-frequency laminate known as the Rogers material is made of a combination of glass, ceramic, and polymer components.
- This substance is well-known for having a low-loss tangent and dielectric constant, which makes it the best option for high-frequency and high-speed applications.
Properties of Rogers PCB
- Here different features of Rogers board explained
- Since Rogers PCB has a low dielectric constant, high-frequency signals can be supported without degradation. Rogers PCB’s dielectric constant can range from 2.2 to 10.2.
- This pcb board has a low-loss tangent, high-frequency signals may be sent there without being attenuated. The value of loss tangent might be anywhere from 0.0009 and 0.0040 for this board.
- The excellent thermal conductivity of these PCBs allows for effective heat dissipation. The value of thermal conductivity can range from 0.4 to 1.4 W/mK.
Glass transition temperature
- As Rogers PCB has a high glass transition temperature, it can endure high temperatures without warping or being damaged. The value of glass transition temperature might be anywhere between 150 and 280 °C.
- This board comes with a high tensile strength, it can endure mechanical force without cracking. Its tensile strength range of 70 to 130 MPa.
- It comes with a low moisture absorption rate, which implies that it can withstand moisture and humidity. Between 0.01 and 0.09% of Rogers PCB can absorb moisture.
Advantages of Rogers PCB
- There are differnt advantages provided by this board explained here
High-frequency and high-speed applications
- It has a low dielectric constant and loss tangent making it perfect for high-frequency and high-speed applications.
Low signal loss and low noise
- High signal integrity and reliability are achieved because of these board has features to transfer high-frequency signals with little attenuation and noise.
Good thermal management
- Because to the excellent thermal conductivity of Rogers PCB, it can dissipate heat effectively, enhancing reliability and endurance.
High dimensional stability
- It has better reliability and precision because to its ability to keep its form and size at high temperatures and mechanical stress..
Good chemical resistance
- Rogers PCB has increased dependability and lifespan since it can withstand chemical and environmental harm.
Rogers PCB Applications
- The main applications of Rogers PCB are explained here
Telecommunications and wireless devices
- Antennas, transmitters, receivers, and filters are common examples of wireless and telecommunications equipment that frequently employ Rogers’s PCB.
Aerospace and defense industry
- Applications including radar systems, satellite communication, and missile guidance systems all employ Rogers PCB in the aerospace and military sector.
- Medical devices such as pacemakers, MRI scanners, and ultrasound machines all make use of Rogers’s PCB.
- For purposes including GPS systems, engine control units, and sensors, the car sector uses these boards
- In different consumer electronics for example smartphones, tablets, and laptops, Rogers PCB is used for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and NFC applications.
Challenges in Manufacturing Rogers PCB
- There are some challenges faced by te ROgers board during their construction that are explained here
- Due to the high cost of the Rogers material and the manufacturing process, these boards more expensive than conventional FR-4 PCB. Specialized tools and procedures with experts like JLCPCB are needed for Rogers PCB manufacturing, which raises the price.
- Due to the special characteristics of the Rogers material, the production of Rogers PCB is more difficult than the production of FR-4 PCB. To maintain the quality and dependability of the PCB throughout production, careful control over temperature, pressure, and humidity is necessary.
It might be challenging to get Rogers material for manufacture because it is less common than conventional FR-4 PCB materials.
Roger pcb by JLCPCB
A well-known producer of printed circuit boards, including Rogers PCB, is JLCPCB. In this review, we’ll examine the Rogers PCB from JLCPCB in more detail.JLCPCB has been working nonstop to save expenses and increase efficiency since 2006. They pledge to always provide clients with the most affordable PCBs. JLCPCB produces PCBs at a low cost yet of the highest quality, presumably as a result of economies of scale, exceptionally high manufacturing efficiency, and low labor costs.
JLCPCB is a Chinese-based PCB manufacturer that offers a wide range of PCB services, including Rogers PCB. JLCPCB’s Rogers PCB is designed for high-frequency and high-speed applications, making it suitable for industries such as telecommunications, aerospace and defense, medical devices, automotive, and consumer electronics.
Just by selecting the appropriate base material on the JLCPCB site, you can quickly obtain high-quality high-frequency PCBs. They can provide a discount pricing for both HF base materials within 10cm*10cm 5pcs because of their large-scale production capability; Rogers PCBs start at $99.5, and save you more than $100 compared to other HF PCBs on the market. Specifications for Rogers PCB on JLCPCB
- PCB Thickness：0.51/0.76/1.52
- PCB Laminates: RO4350B (Dk=3.48, Df=0.0037)
Features of JLCPCB Rogers Boards
The substrate of JLCPCB’s Rogers PCB is made of superior Rogers material. The Rogers material is perfect for high-frequency and high-speed applications because it has a low dielectric constant and loss tangent. The Rogers material also provides strong chemical resistance and dimensional stability, assuring the durability and dependability of the PCB.
Precise Manufacturing Process
To guarantee the quality and dependability of Rogers PCB, JLCPCB employs a rigorous production procedure. Strict quality control standards and exact temperature, pressure, and humidity management are all part of the production process. This guarantees that the PCB satisfies the necessary criteria and is appropriate for high-frequency and high-speed applications.
With their Rogers PCB, JLCPCB provides customization possibilities, such as various copper weights, layer counts, and thicknesses. This enables clients to customize the PCB to their unique needs and guarantees that the PCB adheres to their particular requirements.
Although JLCPCB’s Rogers PCB is made with high-quality Rogers components and follows a precise production process, the cost is competitive. Due to this, a variety of clients can use it, including amateurs and small enterprises.
How to order Rogers PCB on JLCPCB
- First of all visit the JLCPCB site: https://jlcpcb.com/ILV
- You can see the below figure add the Gerber file option to upload your Gerber file here
- Then choose the Roger option according to your project requirements
- Now choose PCB thickness and PCB Laminates
- After that choose other specifications according to need and finally save to the cart and checkout
Every time, JLCPCB strives to make innovation simpler for every engineer and maker. JLCPCB can provide high-quality PCBs at a very competitive price because of its large-scale capabilities, freeing up your funds for more creative options.
Difference Between FR-4 Material And Rogers Material
Printed circuit boards frequently employ the materials FR-4 and Rogers (PCBs). The key variations between the two materials are as follows:
A type of epoxy laminate material with fiberglass reinforcement is called FR-4. Due to its low cost and adaptability, it is the material that PCBs are made of most frequently. It can endure extremely high temperatures and voltage levels and has a dielectric constant that is rather low (about 4.4). Consumer electronics, automobiles, and industrial equipment are just a few of the uses for which FR-4 is appropriate.
The high-performance substrate material Rogers, on the other hand, is made for high-frequency and high-speed applications. It has a substantially lower dielectric constant (about 3.5) than FR-4 because it is constructed of a hydrocarbon polymer that contains ceramic particles. Its low dielectric constant makes it perfect for applications requiring high-speed data transfer and minimal noise because it improves signal integrity and reduces loss of signal strength.
Rogers material is a dependable choice for high-performance applications in sectors including telecommunications, aerospace and military, and medical equipment due to its low dielectric constant as well as its low dissipation factor, strong thermal conductivity, and outstanding dimensional stability.
Rogers PCB Material Properties
- High-performance substrate material for high-frequency and high-speed applications is Rogers PCB material. It is constructed of a hydrocarbon polymer that has a ceramic filling, giving it special qualities that make it appropriate for a range of demanding applications. Rogers PCB material has the following important characteristics:
- The dielectric constant for these board materials is low, hovering about 3.5, significantly lower than that of FR-4. Its low dielectric constant makes it perfect for applications requiring high-speed data transfer and minimal noise because it improves signal integrity and reduces loss of signal strength.
- The low dissipation factor describes how little energy is wasted as heat when a signal travels through The PCB material. Even at high frequencies, signal strength may be maintained and noise can be reduced thanks to its low dissipation factor.
- Because of its excellent thermal conductivity, Rogers PCB material dissipates heat more effectively than other materials. In high-power applications, where excessive heat can harm components or compromise the integrity of signals, this attribute is very crucial.
- The remarkable dimensional stability of Rogers PCB material allows it to maintain its size and form across a broad temperature and humidity range. In situations where exact component placement is essential, this characteristic is particularly crucial.
Difference between Rogers, Teflon & High-Frequency PCBs
|Property||Rogers PCB||Teflon PCB||High-Frequency PCB|
|Dielectric Constant||3.5||2.1 – 2.3||3 – 3.7|
|Moisture Absorption||Low||Very Low||Low|
|Applications||Telecommunications, Aerospace and Defense, Medical Devices||Microwave Communications, High-Temperature Applications||High-Frequency Applications, Aerospace and Defense|
|Property||FR-4 Material||Rogers Material|
|Dielectric constant||Around 4.4||Around 3.5|
|Signal integrity||Not suitable for high-speed applications||Ideal for high-speed and high-frequency applications|
|Cost||More affordable||More expensive|
|Applications||Suitable for a wide range of applications, including consumer electronics, automotive, and industrial equipment||Ideal for telecommunications, aerospace and defense, and medical devices|
Because to its specific characteristics, Rogers PCB is a specialized kind of printed circuit board that is frequently utilized in high-frequency and high-speed applications. As comparison to conventional FR-4 PCB, Rogers PCB has a number of benefits, such as reduced signal loss, excellent dimensional stability, and strong thermal management. Several sectors, such as telecommunications, aerospace and military, medical devices, automotive, and consumer electronics, employ Rogers PCB. Manufacturers may face difficulties since the production of Rogers PCB is more difficult and expensive than the production of FR-4 PCB.