Hello, readers welcome to new tutorial. In this post, we will learn Different Types of Induction Motor. The type of motor that operates the phenomena of electromagnetic induction to generate the flux and current in the rotating part to rotate is called induction motor also named an asynchronous motor. There is 2 basic category of induction motor on the basis of rotor design first one is wound and the second is a squirrel.
It is mostly used at the industrial level and a single-phase motor is used as a home to run heavy loads. In this post, we will discuss its different types, their features, and related parameters. So let get started.
Different Types of Induction Motor
- There are two main types of induction motor first one is single phase induction motor and second is three-phase induction motor
- These two motors are further divided into many types.
Single Phase Induction Motor
- A Single-phase motor has a single-phase winding this winding is wound on the stating part of motor and its cage winding is wound on the motor’s rotating part which is rotor.
- When a single phase is applied to this motor then the revolving magnetic field is created.
- There are many types of single-phase induction motor.
- Split-Phase Induction Motor
- Shaded Pole Induction Motor
- Capacitor Start and Capacitor Run Induction Motor
- Capacitor Start Induction Motor
Three-Phase Induction Motor
- Three-phase motors are self-start and as we studied in a single-phase induction motor article it needs capacitors to start its operation.
- Squirrel cage motors are generally used due to their rugged construction and simplest enterprise.
- The wound rotor motor needs exterior resistances to have higher initial torque.
- In our industries and household, 3 phase induction motors are used.
- This motor is further divided into 2 types first one squirrel cage and the other is wound rotor.
Let discuss all types with the detailed
Split-Phase Induction Motor
- This motor of single-phase called resistance start motor consists of cage rotor.
- There are 2 windings wounded at the starting part of the motor first one is main and the other is called starting.
- There is ninety degrees angle between these two windings.
- Value of inductance for starting windings is less than the resistance value and for main it is opposite resistance is less inductance is high.
shaded pole single-phase induction motor
- The rotor of this motor is a salient rotor has different numbers of poles according to use. Poles are configured through copper rings that show inductive behavior.
- The poles of this motor have two portions that are not the same configured small part consists of coppers rings and is considered as a shaded region.
- Its benefits is that less expensive and easy to use
- The absence of a centrifugal switch makes its construction simple
- Also, offered some disadvantages like less value of power factor.
- It also has less value of starting torque.
Capacitor Start and Capacitor Run Induction Motor
- This motor comprises of the rotor and single cage rotor.
- On the stating part, two windings are wounded main and auxiliary.
- Auxiliary windings are named starting winding.
- The angle difference between these two windings is 90 degrees.
- There are two capacitors used in this motor starting and the second one running.
- It is used for operations where a large value of starting torque is need.
Capacitor Start Induction Motor
- In this motor there is capacitor is linked with the auxiliary winding to generate a large value of phase difference among the current flowing in the main winding and auxiliary.
- Capacitor purpose if to start the motor after that not take part in the operation.
- It consists of 2 windings at the stator and the rotor is cage type. Windings at stator called main and starting or auxiliary.
- The phase difference between windings is 90 degrees.
- A capacitor is linked to starting windings in series combinations and a centrifugal switch is also used in this motor.
- Its rating lies between one twenty watts to seven-kilo watts
- It has the ability to generate the starting torque three times more than full load torque.
- For having a large value of starting current there should a high value of starting torque and the value of resistance at starting windings is low.
Applications of Induction Motor
- There is a lot of application of induction motor. It is the most commonly used motor in our houses and industries.
- Use in drill machine
- employed in Electrical operated razors
- Used in toys, robots
- Juicers machine has an induction motor
- EMployed in small size fans
- The pump uses this motor.
That is all about the Different Types of Induction Motor and Features. I have explained all types of induction motors with the all features. If you have any further query ask in comments. Thanks for reading have a good day see you in next post.