Hello, readers welcome to the new post. Today we will discuss DETAILED GUIDE TO GROUNDS, EARTH, AND GROUNDING. There are very common three terms used in electronic systems ground, earth, and grounding. These three terms are considered as the 0 volts representation but in practice, it does not happen.
These three terms help to make good circuits and projects in electronics according to the required design and layout. In this post, we will discuss different parameters to understand these three points. So let’s get started
What is Ground
- It is very common in electrical and electronic circuits that any point is taken as a reference point. That is called ground and denoted as GND and has zero value of volts.
- For this point calculation of volts are relative and found through comparison to another point of the circuit.
- The symbolic representation of ground reference is a standard ground symbol.
- Generally, the reference point is considered as the base for other voltages calculation in circuitry.
- Not all values are taken through this reference point but some.
Types of Ground
What is Earth Ground
- This grounding is done with the earth through the use of copper wire that is positioned into the earth. Conductive materials like aluminum can also be used and it must be buried to eight feet according to NEC
- Different circuits like telephone exchanges, radio stations, and power stations have larger size copper looped in the ground.
- Chasis ground is used to make links among different metallic parts of any device that helps to make electrical connections among these parts. For example electronic instruments and vehicles
- Different types of electronic modules come with circuits that are referenced connection with chassis but chassis do not connect to Earth.
- In some vehicles, there is chassis used as a reference for all electrical components that permit to use a single wire
- In electronic circuits, the virtual ground is a node in a circuit that has constant reference volts without linked to reference volts.
- In some cases, the reference potential is called mentioned to the surface of the earth and the reference node is called ground
- The virtual ground is used to discuss the operational amplifiers and some other circuits.
- In some circuits, the ground is used that has an electrical connection with the earth that is called ground. It is called a floating connection when having no connection.
- Conductors will have floating volts if not linked to other conductors in an electrical fashion. In absence of this connection volts and current are produced through an electromagnetic field.
- The signal ground also called analog or digital ground connects to each transmitted signal among devices of the system.
- As these devices are getting power through distinct supplies so it is necessary that are small differences among the potential of these devices that help to flow a small value of current as compensation.
- Grounds symbols are shown here
Common Grounding Error
- In three pin dc supply, you have seen positive points negative and ground. The ground terminal has a connection with the chassis that is linked with the ground conductor in power code that is attached to the earth through 3 points.
- Some error faced by the new users is attaching load among positive and ground points. It is not a good configuration for current to move to the power source so zero current will flow.
- So accurate configuration is to attach the load among the positive and negative points
What is Electrostatic Discharge or ESD
- The grounding used in any testing device has a function to reduce the ESD or electrostatic discharge. ESD is produced if the charged body that is static has a connection with the testing device. Some testing devices are sensitive and detect small parts of ESD.
- Integrated circuits (ICs) are known to be extremely vulnerable to ESD. Grounded pads wrist straps and grounded chairs are used to get ESD protection to ICs.
That is all about the DETAILED GUIDE TO GROUNDS, EARTH, AND GROUNDING ELECTRONICs all details has explained if you have any queries ask here