Hello, readers welcome to new post. Today we will learn HOW VARIABLE RESISTORS WORK. The main part of electric circuitry is inserted as resistances. There are different types of resistance that exist and that are employed in different applications. Commnly used types of resistance are fixed variables in the basic of their resistive value.
In this post we will cover the basics of Variable resistors working features and some other points. So let’s start HOW VARIABLE RESISTORS WORK
Introduction to VARIABLE RESISTORS
- The variable resistor is a category of resistance that varies resistance from 0 to a specific value. Its common applications are for voltage regulation.
- Its function is that as the value of resistance is increased for this module current flow decreases.
- it is an electro-mechanical transducer and works through slider contact at the resistive component.
- If it is used as potential dividers through the implementation of 3 points named potentiometer.
- In case of two points work as a variable resistance and called a rheostat.
- There is electronically implemented resistors are used called digital potentiometers
VARIABLE RESISTORS Symboles
Types of Variable Resistors
- There are three main types of variable resistors are discuss here
- Digital potentiometers
What is Potentiometer
- For the potentiometer to change the resistance in circuitry rotary knob is used. There are three pinouts are configured on the potentiometer.
- Among the 2 pins configured on the outer side their resistive element exists used for resistance changes.
- A central pinout is used as a wiper. This wiper is configured among the 2 endpoints.
- Ponts can be moved to the connection resistive elements by operating the shaft of the potentiometer
- If we move the wiper or slider to the left side decrement in the resistance among the central pins and left positioned pin. So resistance among the central pin and right pinout increases when the slider moves to left
POTENTIOMETERS as VOLTAGE DIVIDERS
- The voltage divider is circuitry used for the reduction of volts in circuitry. The output volts rely at the ratio of 2 resistance linked in a series combination.
- Output are get among the 2 resistances. The formula for voltage dividers to measure the volts is given
- Vout= R2/(R1+R2) x Vin
- Ri is resistance nearest to input volts and R2 is resistance near to ground . Vin is input and Vout is output volts
- This potentiometer used digital signals to vary the resistance in place of mechanical movement for resistance cahnge.
- Digital potentiometer vary resistance steps-wise on the basis of the digital signal moving through it. It is used for applications where vibration, dust, and moisture.
- The physical structure of rheostat are like the potentiometers and the difference is that rheostat is not used as potential dividers but work as variable resistance
- It wok on the 2 terminals in place of three point-like potentiometers
- Its one point is connected at the resistive component and the second at the wiper of variable resistance.
- It has been used for power regulation circuits in series combinations like a light bulb.
- Currently not used for power control circuits since power losses occur
- In power regulation applications rheostat is replaced with switching circuits.
That is all about the HOW VARIABLE RESISTORS WORK. All details has explained if you ave any further queries ask in comments,