Hello, readers welcome to new post. Here we will discuss Why we need Power System Protection? There are different categories of faults that exist in the electrical power system. To handle these faults there is a certain branch of power system is used called power system protection. The main advantages and objective of this system is that it retains the continuity of power supply in the system and eliminates the faulty component from the system.
There is different instruments and devices are used to save the systems from different faults and errors called protection devices. In this post, we will discuss different reasons that make us to use the power system protection. So let get started.
Why we Need Protective Devices
- The structure of the power system is that it must have the ability to carry and handle the load linked to it on a current basis but also be ready to bear the load variation in the coming future.
- During construction of the power system, it makes sure that it has variable natures that can handle the certain area load where it linked with that also provides the laod that is going to link in future.
- To provide the regular basis power to the customers with fulfilling the expensive for creation of system there is some ways are used.
- The ist approach is to use such devices in the creation of a system that works for a long time interval and has less faulty behavior that makes an effective system.
- There must be the use of protective devices such as a protective relay that make sure to remove the fault from the faulty location and retain the system other parts working state on regular basis. The use of these devices in the system is called a protection system.
- the protective relay is protection instrumens that helps to remove teh errored part of the network. Other part of system remian in working during removing the faulty part.
- Such features urges to use the protection devices in the system to make sure the regular basis generation, transmission and usages of power.
Main Needs of Power System protection
- There are 3 main functions performed by the protectin devices.
- Person safety assurance
- Less maintenance cost if fault occurs
- Power supply must remain continue in not faulted area
Quality of Power System Protection
- To fulfill the above functions there are some features shown by the protection used.
- There must be high-speed operation done by the protective device if fault occurs to remove the faulty portion
- The protective device should have high sensitivity to sense the minor faults existing in the system and operate instantly.
- It must have not any effect on the non-faulty areas of the system
- The only faulty area should be separate from the system.
Main components of protection System
- The main component used in the power system is discussed here.
- Fuse is used in the system that damages if there is fault occurs in the system. That is stand alone protective device as compared to breakers that need any other device to operate.
- To see the accurate value of current and volts in the systems there is the use of current and voltage transformers
- the values of current and volts measured by the current and volts transformer given to the relay and that trip the faulty portion of the system. Now such advanced level relays are used that not only trip the system but give the analysis of fault that occured.
- Since there is some time taken by the relay like milliseconds to operate when a fault occurs and is not favorable for the system. To minimize these effect circuit breakers have been used that trip the circuit instantly when a fault occurs.
- With the accurate operation of the relay and breaker, there is other components that must remain in the working state that is the battery that is delivering the power to relay and breakers.
That is all about the Why we need Power System Protection? if you have any further query ask in comments. Thanks for reading have a good day