Hello, fellows, I hope all of you are enjoying your life. In today’s tutorial, we will have a look at the Full form of CPU its working, applications, and uses. The full form of CPU is central processing unit older computers such as ENIAC (Electronic Numerical Integrator And Computer) were connected with each other through the wire to transfer of data and performance of different tasks. Due to this wired arrangements, these computers were known as fixed program computers. The word first time used for the device that executes the different programs.
The CPU is also called the brain of a computer all process accomplishing in the computer and data processing is controlled by the CPU. With the brain of the computer, it also is known as a processor or microprocessor in PCs. Its structure is an integrated circuit and comprises all electronic components used in the computer. All logic arithmetic and all other operation performed in the computer control by the CPU. In today’s post, we will have a look at its working, structures, parts, and type. So let’s get started with the Full Form of CPU.
Full Form of CPU
- The word CPU stands for central processing unit it is the main part of a computer that performs different operations on the computer and create programs of the computer.
- The other name of the CPU is a central processor or main processor.
- The operation such as mathematical operations, logical operations, controlling of other computer devices all are done by the CPU.
- Usually, the word CPU refers to a processor, more precisely to its processing unit and control unit, distinctive these main components of a computer from exterior elements such as main memory and input and output circuits.
- The basic operation of CPU is almost the same from its time of creation but its design, structure, and methods of a program execution have been varied with the time.
- The main components of the CPU are ALU. registers, CU and some other parts.
- The ALU performs the arithmetic and logic operations, CU executes the different instruction directed by the arithmetic logic unit.
Parts of CPU
- There are three main parts of the CPU each part of central processing unit performs different functions. Let’s discuss them with the detail.
- Arithmetic Logic Unit (ALU)
- Control Unit (CU)
- Memory Unit
Memory or Storage Unit
- The memory part of the central processing unit saves data, information and different processed results.
- It also sends and receives a signal and information to other parts of the computer when required.
- The other name of the memory unit of primary memory, the main memory of the computer and also known as RAM.
- Its size defines its operation speed, power and how much data it can store.
- Generally, there are 2 main types of memory in the computer.
- If we summarize the function of memory unit than we concluded that these points.
- For processing, all types of data and processed data that called information are stored in a memory unit of CPU.
- The results of all processing are saved in this unit.
- The processing results that are to be displayed on the outputs are also saved in this unit.
- Every input data and output all send through the main memory of the computer.
- This part of CPU control and monitors the functions of other parts of the computer but does not perform any processing.
- The functions performed by the control unit are given here.
- It monitors the transfer of data and pieces of information among other parts of a computer and also gives instruction to other parts of the computer.
- It operates as manager and coordinator for all elements of the computer.
- It received the instructions from the memory unit and work on them and send the processing results of other parts.
- It also controls the operations of input and output devices connected with the computer and sends the instruction received by the memory storage to these devices.
- The main function of it to control not do the processing and storage of data and information.
ALU (Arithmetic Logic Unit)
- There are further parts of ALU.
- Arithmetic Unit
- Logic Unit
- Let’s discuss them one by one with the detailed.
- This part of the computer performs all mathematical operations such as multiplications, additions, subtraction, and division.
- While some complicated mathematical functions are also performed by this unit through the repetition of arithmetic operations.
- Logic functions like comparisons between two numbers, matching and merging of different information is performed through the logic unit.
Types of CPU
Single Core CPU
- This CPU is an older technology of the central processing unit that used at the creation time of the computer.
- This CPU performs only a single function at a time and good for more than operations at a single time.
- Its operating capacity decreases as the more than one function of multi-tasks are performed by this CPU,
- Though only a single operation can be initiate and after completion of first function second can be started but with the increment of functions, its operation speed decreases.
- It called dual because it comprises 2 cores and operates similar to 2 CPU in one structure.
- As we discussed above a single-core CPU can perform only one task but dual-core can handle more than one operation very easily.
- For the construction of dual-core central processing units, the operating system (windows) and program operating on the operating system must have a code known as simultaneous multithreading technology (SMT).
- The operating speed of dual-core is larger than the single-core but not the quad-core.
- This CPU has four cores on a single central processing unit. Like dual-core CPU divides its operation in all cores and performs more than function very efficiently and with the speed.
- These CPUs are mostly preferred by the people who want to perform more than one function simultaneously and games can also operate through these CPUs.
So friends that is the detailed post about the full form of CPU I have mentioned each and every parameter related to the CPU. If you have any questions about this post ask in comments. See you another interesting post. Have a good day. Thanks for reading.