Hi, guys welcome to the new post. In this post, we will discuss Transformerless 6V DC Power Supply. Nowadays there are different types of electronic components devices and projects used in industries and customer level. All these devices use 3.3 volts to 12 volts dc to operate and some use about thirty volts. But the generation of these small levels of volts is not easy and easily accessible. As there is an AC system used in the power system so we need small dc volts to operate these devices, the commonly used techniques are the use of a step-down transformer, rectifier, and regulators that are somewhat expensive so different techniques used for the creation of less expensive power supply that provides the low volts dc
So in this project, we will make a transformerless dc supply that provides the six volts output to operate the small devices. With that also learn how we change the electronic services with PCB board from the best PCB supplier PCBWAY which provides different services with great quality and affordable prices. So let’s get started.
Introduction to MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor)
- MOV stands for metal oxide varistor that is normal variable resistance and is not like the potentiometer. This component changes resistance value when the voltage given varies.
- Its resistance decreases with the increment of volts about it and resistance increases when volts decrease. This feature helps to protect circuitry from high volts spikes so it is used for surge protectors in electronics.
- In the case of normal working condition resistance of MOV is high and less current flow, when there is a surge is exist in the circuit voltage will be high then the clamping voltage and high current flows surge dissipated and protect the circuitry or device.
- The MOV can be used for short surge protection and not handle sustained surges. If it faces surges continuously its structure will be damaged.
- When surge applies to it clamping voltage losses are lower than sometimes can cause destruction. To minimize this fact MOV is attached in series combination with a thermal switch which can operate for high current flow.
- MOV or metal oxide varistor is a blue or orange-colored circular element that is used in power supply circuitry. The metal oxide varistor known as a variable resistor can change resistance according to the voltage applied.
- MOV is the main component of our projects this basic introduction will help us to understand the operation of our projects.
What is an X-Rated Capacitor
- The Xrated capacitors are nonpolarized components and are called voltage-dropping capacitors also used as power line filter capacitors.
- Its common ratings are 400 VDC, 630 VDC, 1000 VDC, 100 VDC, 250 VDC, and 1250 VDC. its capacitance range is 0.0010 μF to 10 μF. The capacitor having a rating of 400 VDC has a capacitance value of 0.010 to 0.10 μF and 0.12 to 0.47 μF
- It has metalized polyester film flame retardant epoxy resin coating. It provides the special characteristic of self-healing with high electrical ratings helps to use it in high volts projects
How to Use an X-Rated Capacitor In Transformer-less Power Supply
- The X-rated capacitor has a high voltage rating so used in ac circuits in series combinations. It is the main component of the transformerless power supply since it is created to use in AC mains. This capacitor is attached in a series of AC power line to decrease the voltage so it works as a replacement of a transformer to drop the voltage
- The output of the X-rated capacitor is given to the bridge that rectifies it to DC volts.
Transformerless 6V DC Power Supply
- Here are components used for Transformerless 6V DC Power Supply are listed here
- X-Rated Capacitor
- Zener Diode
- Diode 1N4007
- PCB from PCBWAY
- PCBWay is a Chinese PCB (Printed Circuit Board) prototype, PCB assembly, SMD template and flexible printed circuit board manufacturer. They ship to over 170 countries worldwide and process over 2100 PCB orders per day. I have reviewed many other PCB manufacturing companies in the past, but I feel that PCBWay combines the excellent price and customer service factor in one single serving. What is also amazing for me as a manufacturer and customer at PCBWay is their service. From their friendly support staff to their intuitive, user-friendly website, it all adds up to make PCBWay the ideal company and brand for any electronics enthusiast. To make your any electronic projects and desing you can get their service like if you want to make a transformerless power supply must visit them they engineers will guide you from start to end and will help you to assemble on PCB board that they also provide you in quality and fewer charges.
- Plus, their PCB prototyping options are endless, with every aspect of your PCB having the ability to make its own. features such as solder mask, screen printing, finish, material, and much more can be changed according to your own personal preferences. PCBWay also accepts special requests for your PCB if you need additional requirements
- As for their SMT service, it is often ordered with your standard PCBs if your design includes surface mount components to be soldered to. It works as a template to make soldering easier for you, as soldering to a surface is not the easiest skill. In addition to PCB prototype customization options, PCBWay offers many interchangeable options when designing your SMT template, such as template type, thickness, existing reference marks, whether you want electropolishing or not, etc. In addition, you can request a special request if necessary, where they will take into account your special requirement when designing your SMT template.
- If you ever need soldering or proper component placement on your custom PCB, PCBWay offers a PCB Assembly service where the components can be assembled on the fly, meaning your PCB will be ready to use right on your doorstep. PCBWay offers three packages when it comes to PCB assembly. You can choose to either have PCBWay supply all the components on your design or have the option to supply all the parts for you, the customer. Alternatively, you can choose a combined option, where PCBWay supplies some parts, but you will have to supply the remaining components. I recommend going with the combination option if you have some of the parts you need for the project, but if you don’t have any of the required parts, the turnkey option will be the best option (PCBWay supplies all the parts). From there you have a choice of what type your board would be with respect to your PCB (single pieces or panel circuit boards) in addition to which side of the assembly the components will be soldered to. It is also mandatory to indicate the number of unique, SMT, and/or through-hole parts you wish to mount on your PCB. Again, there is a dedicated black space where you can enter any specific details or requirements regarding the assembly of your PCB.
Transformerless 6V DC Power Supply Construction and Working
- Here you can see the circuit of the transformerless power supply. This project is designed to provide the 6V DC output. The input of this circuit is 230 to 300 volts. In this X-Rated capacitor having a value of 474k is connected in series combination to the input supply denoted as Cx through a fuse of five amperes. There is a resistance of 1K in parallel combination to capacitors that will discharge energy of the capacitor when there is no input volts connected
- The output of the capacitor is given to the bridge created through the use of 1N4007 diodes and the bridge output is given to Cy capacitor that makes pure dc through the elimination ripples. That dc volts go to zener diode for regulation and the voltage existent about zener is detected through the blinking of the LED.
- Different rated zener diodes can be used to get different voltage values.
- If we ON the AC input then the X-rated capacitor decreases the AC volts to low ac through use of its capacitance reactive features. then voltges go to bridge the rectife it and capacitor removes ripples and in results, we can 6 volts dc at the output which is our desired output
- The main applications of transformerless dc supply are explained here
- It used in a communication system to operate different devices
- It used in toys and robots
- Operate the LED bulbs that needed fewer volts
- It functions the emergency lights
- Used in different appliances
- Used in ADC converters
That is all about the 11 Volt Power Supply Circuit using LM7811 all details has explained. IF you have any query ask here