Hello, readers welcome to the new post. We will discuss Printed Circuit Board (PCB) Materials. There are different heat-resistant insulated materials are used for PCB creation. Conductive layers of copper are designed on the base material. Over that layers, components of projects are assembled on the board.
PCB is created with the use of different types of materials. We will discuss all materials used in the PCB board and also learn how these materials and different PCB boards can be get from the best PCB supplier PCBWAY.
Printed Circuit Board (PCB) Materials
- PCB board is normally in flated laminated composite created through the use of a substrate of insulating material having copper layers.
- On the requirements of users and circuits copper layers can be one or more and in some cases can be 50 layers or larger.
- The flat structure of the board is considered as the finest option for component connection on the board through soldering and copper conductors linked the component with one another through an electrical connection.
- There are 6 main components used in standard PCB board
- Copper layer
- Prepeg is a thinner glass sheet that has a coating of resin and gets dried through the use of certain machines called prepreg treaters.
- Glass works as a mechanical substrate and retains the resin on that surface. Resins are used of FR4 epoxy Teflon and polyamide.
- When prepreg passes through the treater goes to the oven and gets dry.
- Laminates known as clad laminates consist of prepreg sheets that are attached to one another through the application of heat and pressure. When resin get harder PCB laminates to show the plastic-like configuration having the sheets of copper at both sides
- The sketch and etching is done through copper layers that make the circuits on the laminate. These copper conductors work as conductors.
- Soldermask is the green color epoxy layer that is used to protect the circuits from the outer conditions of the board.
- The internal circuits aer configured in the layers of prepreg so not need extra covering
- So if outer layers are not protected accurately will get corrode so a solder mask used to provide them protection
- The nomenclature also called Silkcrenn is white colors letters and symbolic representations are done on the upper part of the board where components are attached to make circuits.
How PCB is Made
- There are different types of materials of substrate and components used. The use of the material depends on the types of projects and circuits that have to make and conditions where PCB has been used
- PCB manufacturers select the board material on the basis of electrical conditions to use in high speed operations, mechanical and thermal requirements
- They also select the board materials on the basis of compliance with the governmental needs.
- For instance, The ROHS directive restricts the use of materials having any hazardous materials and PCBWAY follows ROHS to make good and environmentally friendly materials,
- Laminates of the board are created through the use of resins and fabrics that give the certain insulation features
- That consists of dielectric such FR4, polyamide etc. Numerous certain thermal and electric measures define which lamination will be used for certain PCB designing.
- During choosing the material of PCB some measures are kept in mind by PCB manufacturers tah are listed here
- Dielectric constant
- Frame retardance
- High glass transition temperature TG
- Mitigated loss factor
- Thermal Performance
- Dimensions Stability
Main Materials of Printed Circuit Board (PCB)
- Some main materials used for PCB manufacturing are discussed here
FR4 Epoxy Laminate
- FR4 is very commonly used substrate material. Term FR4 defines the class of material the is according to the NEMALI 1-1998 standards.
- FR4 substances offer good thermal electrical and mechanical features.
- FR4 laminate and prepreg is created through use of glass cloth, resin and exist in fewer prices of board
- It is also used for boards that have less number of layers like single double layers and multilayers up to fourteen used FR4
- The base epoxy resin can be added with an adhesive nature which can enhance the thermal features and electric behavior.
- FR4 lamination and prepregs are adaptable in nature having numerous construction methods with required results
- Polyimide laminates give the operation of the large temperature where FR4 not used. It is more expensive than the FR4 but give good features for in high-temperature conditions.
- It also has stability for thermal cycling having less expansion features creating good for large numbers of layers
- Teflon laminates and bonding materials give good electrical features so used in high-speed circuits.
- Their prices are larger than the polyimide but its high-speed operation attracts the users
- These materials can have glass fabric coated also created having not supported layers with that certain filters that enhance the mechanical features
- There is a need of high skilled engineers and special equipment to perform Teflon manufacturing.
- These materials are thinner and enhance the folding features of the design retaining the electrical nature
- There is no need for glass fabric for support but a plastic layer is used. Flexible laminates can be created through the use of high-temperature materials such as polyimide and LCP also less-cost polyesters.
Printed circuit board materials by PCBWAY
- There are different PCB suppliers that is working in the world and offer the different types of PCB materials but PCBWAY is the most used by the users and high-quality PCB supplier.
- Since 2003, PCBWAY has been a leading manufacturer of high-speed printed circuit boards, specializing in both prototype and production quantities. It originally produced single-sided and double-sided printed circuit boards for the consumer electronics market. Ranked among the top 4 PCB manufacturers in Asia, PCBWAY is well known for its fast turnaround capabilities and reliable best-on-time shipping record.
- Today, they have more than 450 operators with highly modern equipment for the production of multilayer PCBs up to 12 layers. Backing up with a group of professional engineers and a well-established quality system. PCBWay has grown to become a major printed circuit board manufacturer in Asia to serve various customer bases such as Electronics, Communication, Educational Electronics, Power Supplies, Automationsetc
- their mission is to become one of the leading PCB manufacturers providing high-quality products with total customer satisfaction.
- The details of PCB materials used for standard PCB at PCBWAY are explained here you must avail these features for your projects based on PCB. They offer very reasonable prices than other suppliers
|Items||PCB Prototype capacity (area < 1m2;)||Small and medium batch (area > 1m2)|
|material||General Tg FR4：||Shengyi S1141, Kingboard KB6160A, goldenmax GF212||Shengyi S1141, Kingboard KB6160A, goldenmax GF212|
|Medium Tg FR4：||Shengyi S1150G , Kingboard KB6165F, Kingboard KB6165G (halogen-free)||Shengyi S1150G , Kingboard KB6165F, Kingboard KB6165G (halogen-free)|
|High Tg FR4：||Shengyi S1165 (halogen-free), Kingboard KB6167G (halogen-free), Kingboard KB6167F||Shengyi S1165 (halogen-free), Kingboard KB6167G (halogen-free), Kingboard KB6167F|
|Aluminum:||goldenmax GL12, CS-AL-88/89 AD2, JQ-143 1-8 layer mixed FR-4||goldenmax GL12, CS-AL-88/89 AD2, JQ-143 1-8 layer mixed FR-4|
That is all about the Printed Circuit Board (PCB) Materials all details has explained. Further, you have any query ask in comments