Hello, readers welcome to the new post. We will discuss Introduction to LM340T5. It positive volts regulator used for current limiting circuits comes with three pinouts. It is also used for thermal shutdown, and surface area replacement projects. Through the use of a heat sink, this device has the ability to provide the one-ampere current.
As it is used for fixed volts regulator through the use of certain circuits provides variable output voltages. In this post, we will discuss its working pinout and some other related parameters. So let’s get started with Introduction to LM340T5
Introduction to LM340T5
- The LM340T5 is a fixed voltage regulator and has the ability to operate the load of one-ampere current.
- It is used for different devices as fixed voltage regulators such as on card regulations to remove the noise and also used for single-point regulation
- it also has features to provide the variable volts and is used for applications where adjustable volts needed
- There are certain levels of measures are taken to make simple circuits for regulators to use less outer components.
- It is not compulsory to make a bypass for output through it enhances transient response.
- Input at bypass is used if a regulator is exists away from the filter capacitor of the supply
- The voltage range for regulators is five twelve and fifteen volts in TO-3 packaging.
- Common packages for this regulator are TO-3 Metal Can Package TO-263 Surface-Mount Package TO-220 Power Package 3-Lead SOT-223 Package
- Some features are listed here
- It has output transistor safe area protection
- It has an inner shortcircuit for current limiting
- Inner thermal overload safety used
- Its voltage regulation is about 0.3 percent
- Line regulation is about 0.01 percent
- It used to handle the one-ampere load
- It has three pins
- O/P: Here output of the regulator is obtained
- GND: in this pin ground linked
- INput: Positive supply is connected as an input
LM340T5 Voltage Regulator Working
- The LM340T5 is a category of regulator that is used in different projects. Its output current can be one ampere. But its linear structure losses heat. To save this component from the heating effect heat absorbers are used.
- Let us suppose that we have an input supply of 9V and a current of one amper then about four wat power will be dissipated which can be high for a high power supply. So we required a larger heat sink to handle this power
- Through using the different components to this regulator can be used in different configurations such as constant current regulator, variable voltage regulator and fixed voltage regulator
LM340T5 Electrical Characteristics
- Some electrical features of the regulator are mentioned here
|Features||Parameters||5V O/P||12V o/p||15V o/p||Units|
|Output Voltage||TJ = 25˚C||5||12||15||V|
|Line Regulation||IO = 500 mA||7.5 ≤ VIN ≤ 20||14.8 ≤ VIN ≤ 27||17.9 ≤ VIN ≤ 30||V|
|Load Regulation||TJ = 25˚C||10||12||12||V|
|Quiescent Current||TJ = 25˚C||6||6||6||mA|
|Quiescent Current Change||5 mA ≤ IO ≤ 1A||0.5||0.5||0.5||mA|
|Output Noise Voltage||TA = 25˚C, 10 Hz ≤ f ≤ 100 kHz||40||75||90||uV|
|Ripple Rejection||TJ = 25˚C, f = 120 Hz, IO = 1A||80||72||70||V|
|Dropout Voltage||TJ = 25˚C, IO = 1A||2||2||2||v|
- Its common applications are discussed here
- It used for output polarity reversal protection circuitry
- Used as regulated two output circuits
- Used as a current limiter
- Variable output regulator
That is all about the LM340T5 all details has explained. If you have any query ask here