Hello, readers welcome to new post. Here we will discuss Introduction to I2C COMMUNICATION PROTOCOL. I2C is a short form of integrated circuits. It is created by the Philips semiconductor to help the transfer of data among the main point or processor to numerous integrated circuits connected on a single boat through the use of two wires. It is also called IIC and helps to make connections among the less-speed ICs with controllers and processors operating for small level distances.
In this post, we will discuss different paramerts of this communication protocol and learn its different features. So let’s get started.
Introduction to I2C COMMUNICATION PROTOCOL
- I2c has features offered by the SPI and UART. It comes with a similar feature of SPI that con links numerous salve devices to one master or control device.
- It is helpful to display the data of many controllers on a single display.
- Like the SPI and UART, it uses two wires for communications
- SDA is helped the mater and salve to send and get data
- SCL wire used for carrying the signal.
- Serial communication is done through I2c so data transfer occurs in one bit after another bit.
- It is synchronous and clock signal is regulated by the master device.
- Some main features of I2C are discussed here
- There are two wires used to make connections between the control and output devices.
- It has different speed modes of data transfer such as for standard mode is 100kbps, fast mode 400kbps
- It is a synchronous and serial protocol for communication
- 1008 slave and unlimited master can be linked to this protocol
Working of I2C Protocol
- In I2C communication data is transmitted in form of messages then the message is converted in the frames of data. In every message address frame exist which consists address of the resultant slave in form of binary with that also have data frames where data exist has to transfer.
- Different conditions such as start, stop, read-write bits and ACK/ NACK also exist in the message for every data frame can seen here
- Start condition: In this state, SDA wires switches high to low volts as SCL changes from high to low
- Stop condition: In this state, SDA changes low to high state after SCL switches low to high.
- Address Frame: The seven or ten-bit series is different for every slave device which locates the slave devices when the master makes a connection to it.
- Read/Write Bit: On bit identify that master is transmitting the data to slave or getting from it.
- ACK/NACK Bit: Every frame existing in the message has an acknowledged/no acknowledge bit. If address frame gets ACK bit goes back from receiver point to sending point
Data Transmission through I2C Protocol
- Some steps are followed for data transmission.
- Master devices transmit the start condition to each slave device connected to it by switching SDA high to low and then switching SCL high to low.
- Then master device transmit the seven or ten-bit address to the slave device wanted to make a connection with the master through read/write bit
- Every slave device make a comparison between the address received from master device to its personal address. When conferring the addressed slave send ACK bit through getting SDA lie low for a single bit. If these two addresses not match salve left SDA line to high
- Master transmit and get the data frame
- When every data frame is transmitted receiving module return one more ACK bit to the sender to know correctness reception of a frame
- For stop, the transmission of data master transmits the stop condition to the slave by switching scl high and then sending the SDA high
- The main applications of I2c are discussed here.
- It helps to access real-time clock and NVRAM.
- It is used for accessing the low-speed DAC and ADC
- It used to control different sensors
- It used for on and off the power supply.
- It also changes the speaker volume
- I2C advantages are listed here
- It is commonly used transmission protocol
- Its circuit is less complicated than UART
- It has the ability to support numerous masters and slaves
- It has two wires
- Its main drawback is listed here
- Its structure is more difficult then the SPI to apply
- The data size is eight bits
- Data transmit rate is slower than SPI
That is details about the I2C if you have any further details ask in comments. Thanks for reading have a nice day.