Hello friends I hope you all are doing great. In this post, we will have a detailed look at Introduction to Brushless DC Motor. The brushless DC Motor also called BLDC motor operates electronically and there is no existence of brushes in this motor. The control circuit link to this motor delivers current in form of pulses at motor windings that regulate the torque-speed of the motor.
It preferred for such applications where there is a large amount of torque needed irrespective of the change in speed. In this post, we cover its working, structure, and some other related factors, So let’s get started with Introduction to Brushless DC Motor.
Introduction to Brushless DC Motor
- Normals dc motors are generally used in such applications where dc supply is used like vehicles and aircraft.
- Some small ratings dc motor has some drawbacks the main drawback is that larger amount of flashing and brush wear.
- Small rating and high-speed dc motors are very small to use compensating windings and interpoles in results armature reaction and Ldi/dt factors caused to generate flashing at slips rings brush.
- In results, the large rotational speed of such motors results to increase brush wear and needed regular construction after some thousands of hours.
- If the motor should operate at fewer pressure conditions like in planes that fly at high altitude.
- At this place, brush use can affect the brush change process need after less than an hour of working.
- In certain applications, the regularly based construction needed for brushes of motor, and it is not acceptable.
- Let us assume that dc motor in artificial heart regular maintenance will need operating on patient chest.
- In another type of application, the sparking at brushes can make a hazard explosion or high value of radio frequency noise.
- In all these conditions there is the usage of small and high-speed dc motor which is highly operatable and creates less sound and large operating life.
- these motors are creating for last twenty-five years by linking a small motor that permanent magnet stepper motor having rotor position sensor and solid-state electronic circuitry.
- Such motor is known as brushless dc motor since they operate at dc power supply with the absence of commutators and brushes.
- Here we can see the small size brushless dc motor sketch.
- The picture of a brushless dc motor can also be seen here.
- The motor is like the permanent magnet stepper motor with the except of it is nonsalient.
- Its stator is existed in three or more 3 phases.
Construction of Brushless DC Motor
- The main components used in brushless dc motor are explained here.
- Permanent magnet rotor.
- Rotor position sensor.
- Electronic circuitry used for regulating the phase of rotor windings.
- The brushless dc motor operates through energization one stator windings at one time through constant dc voltage.
- When windings is on it generates a stator magnetic field Bs and torque is generated at the rotor has mentioned here.
- That caused to alignment the rotor to the stator field.
- The stator field Bs tends to the left while permanent magnet rotor field BR generates an anticlockwise torque at the rotor.
- In results, the rotor will move to the left direction.
- If the winding is get energized the rotor will operate till the 2 fields are in an aligned state and it will stop similar to the stepper motor.
- The factor to run the brushless dc motor is that ir comprises the position sensor therefore the control circuitry will know in case the rotor has an alignment to the stator field.
- At this time windings, a will of off and b will on. results in the rotor to an aging bear the anti clock torque and last to rotate.
- This procedure lasts infinitely through windings gets on in the sequence a, b, C, d, – a, – b, -C, – d, and the motor operates regularly.
- The electronic portion of control circuitry can be used to regulate both speed and direction of the motor.
- The total factor of this configuration is a motor that operates through a dc supply having complete regulation or control at both the speed and direction of motion.
- The brushless dc motor exists in the small ratings such as to the twenty watts.
Brushless dc motor Advantages
- The main advantages of brushless dc motor are mention here,
- It offers a high value of efficiency.
- Operating life is longer with high reliability.
- Less construction is a need.
- It offers less radio frequency sound than the dc motor having brushes.
- It provides a larger speed of almost fifty thousand.
That is all about brushless dc motor if you have any further query ask in the comments. Thanks for reading have a nice day.
Special offer: $2 for 1-8 layer PCBs
Free SMT Assembly Monthly
New arrival for Aluminum boards, only $2
Very informative and well written, Interesting to read 🙂