Hello, friends, I hope all of you are having fun in your life. In today’s tutorial, we will have a look at Full form of UPS, its construction, and applications. UPS is a full form of uninterruptible power supply this electronic device is the replacement of batteries when there is no input power is from the generating system. When there are some faults that occur in grid station or generation system normally synchronous generators are used for power generation due to some faults in generators there is no power for our electrical and home devices then ups provides power the devices.
Nowadays ups have become very common in our home, offices and different commercials to provide power to the appliances. There are numerous types of ups are used according to users and appliances requirements. In today’s post, we will have a detailed look at its full form, working, construction, applications, installations, and some other related parameters. So let’s get started with the Full form of UPS.
Full form of UPS
- UPS stands for an uninterruptible power supply that used to provide power to the load connected in an electrical system when the main supply is off.
- The main purpose of this instrument to maintain the operation of our electrical devices and machines in industries that use continuous power without any interruption.
- To store energy in ups different types of capacitors uses as supercapacitors, batteries, and flywheels are used.
- If we compare the operation of ups with other power supplies than ups is better then that to provided power to the load instantly when the input supply cut off.
- It takes very little time on a battery that is necessary for the operation of different electrical devices.
- As instantly power interruption causes serious damages for the hardware of different electronic devices such as a computer, and telecommunication instruments ups provide protection from such damages.
- There are numerous names of ups such as flywheel back up, battery backup and uninterruptible power supply are common uses.
- The minimum power rating ups are two hundred volt-ampere to the maximum rating of forty-six MVA. 200 VA rating ups use to provide back up power to the solo computer.
UPS Circuit Diagram
- In the given diagram the circuit of ups is shown at primary winding of transformer 240 volts are provided.
- The transformer is step up and converting 240 into 15 volts. With the secondary of the transformer, the bridge circuit is connected to convert the ac output of the transformer into the dc.
- With the bridge, a fuse is attached to provide protection to circuitry from over current flow.
- In this circuit 7805 ic is used to maintain 15 volts at the output.
Difference Between UPS and an Inverter
- Now we discuss the difference between UPS and Inverter.
|Ups is an instrument that delivers power to the load when the mains supply is off.||While the inverter divide input current into two paths in simple words converts the unidirectional current into bidirectional.|
|The main function of ups is to operate like flywheel storage.||Its operation is to transform alternating current into direct current.|
|Its switch over time is less.||It takes some time.|
|Its back up power is electrical.||Its back up power is electronic.|
|There are main 3 types of ups online, offline, and standby.||Its types are grid-tie inverter and stand alone.|
|Ups connected to the appliances to provide power.||The inverter can provide power to both batteries and appliances.|
|Its price is high.||It is less expensive.|
|Its power delivering capacity is for less time interval.||It can provide power for large time intervals.|
|In this device, there is less voltage fluctuation.||But in inverter voltage fluctuation exits.|
|It can use for homes and industries.||It uses only for home appliances.|
Main Components of UPS
- There are main four components of ups that are described here with the detailed.
- standby Switch
- There are numerous functions are performed by the rectifier. The first one is to transform the alternating current into a direct current.
- The rectifier dc current delivers the battery to recharge the battery.
- It also provides protection to the battery of ups by bearing the surging and overloading on ups.
- When the input main supply is providing the power to the load then the battery continues to charging using main power.
- When input supply cut off then battery provides the power to the load and starts operation of ups.
- An inverter is used to convert dc power coming from the battery into the ac power to drive the load connected.
Static Bypass Switch
- This switch is used to provide protection to the ups and load connected. Whenever any faults occur in ups then this switch automatically disconnects the load from the ups and connects with the input supply.
- When ups repaired then again connected to the ups to load as direct power to load is not good as it not filtered properly but necessary to continue operation of the load until ups start its operation.
Types of UPS
- There are 3 main types of UPS that are described here with the detailed.
- Off-line UPS
- On line UPS
- Line-interactive UPS
- The off-line ups is also known as the standby ups and it mostly used in computers.
- The circuit diagram of this ups is shown below that consists of a battery, ac to dc or dc to ac inverter switch, and LPF (low pass filter) that minimize the switching frequency.
- From the circuit of these ups, we can observe that these ups will start operation when the input supply is off.
- This ups firstly convert input ac power to the dc and stored into the battery
- When the input cut off then the dc voltages of battery is converted into the ac through the inverter then provided to the load.
- This type of ups is less expensive with back up storage it also provides surge protection.
- Thi type of ups used double conversion method for power transformation. First of all alternating current is transformed into dc through the rectifier circuitry and recharge the battery.
- After that output power of battery that is dc again transformed into the ac and provided to the load.
- This type of ups normally used for such applications where electric separation is required.
- It also called double conversion because the output of rectifier directly providing power to the inverter.
- If the input supply is off then the power stored in a battery is provided to the inverter that converted to the ac and provided to the load through the transfer switch.
- When again input power is provided then power from rectifier again moves to the battery to recharge it.
Line Interactive UPS
- This type of ups is mostly used in small commercial offices and departmental stores to run servers.
- In these ups, a special tap changing transformer is used to regulate the voltage value for this tap of transformer is changed to get the desired voltage.
- The given diagram of this ups is shown below.
Applications of UPS
- These are some applications of ups.
- It used in homes to run electrical appliances when input supply cut off.
- It used in different offices and commercial buildings.
- It used in industries to run different machines.
So friends that is the detailed post about the full form of ups, in this post I have mentioned each and every parameter related to the ups. If you have any queries about the full form of ups ask in comments. I will solve your queries. See you in the next post.