Hello, readers welcome to the new post. Here we will learn about the Examples of Embedded System. That is computer-based networking that comes with the main components like to computer that are processor, memory unit and input-output modules. With that, some other parts are assembled on this system such as hardware of electrical and electronics based. It comprises of real timing measuring devices since it is used to regulate the different operations done in the systems or machines where is used.
Embedded system used to control different modules. Almost 99 percent of microprocessors are assembled on this system. With the advancement of technology, there is the usage of microcontrollers in embedded systems, and in some systems their use of normal microprocessors. Since this system is used to operates certain categories of operation that help to make its operation reliable and decrease the physical dimensions and production expenses.
The common examples of embedded systems are watches audio players, traffic light control circuits, PLC, etc. Here we will come to know different examples of embedded systems and their practical uses. So let’s get started.
What is an Embedded System?
- A mix of hardware and software called an embedded system is made to carry out certain tasks, frequently under real-time computing restrictions. They are frequently employed in situations when a specific goal is necessary, such as managing equipment or keeping tabs on sensors.
Types of Embedded Systems
Embedded systems may be divided into many groups according on their structure and functionality. Typical forms of embedded systems include:
Real-Time Embedded Systems
Real-time embedded systems are intended to react to particular inputs or events within a predetermined amount of time. They are frequently employed in time-sensitive systems like those in medical equipment and automotive systems.
Standalone Embedded Systems
Standalone embedded systems are independent machines that don’t need connectivity or communication with the outside world. They are frequently found in consumer devices including game consoles, calculators, and remote controls.
Networked Embedded Systems
Devices that are linked to a network or the internet are referred to as networked embedded systems. They are frequently used in industrial automation, smart home systems, and other applications that call for remote monitoring and control.
Components of an Embedded System
An embedded system is made up of three main parts:
The brain of an embedded system is a microcontroller, which controls input and output devices as well as executes computer instructions.
The data and software instructions utilized by the microcontroller are stored in memory. In embedded systems, RAM and ROM (Read-Only Memory) are the two forms of memory that are employed.
Input and Output
In order to communicate with the embedded system, input and output devices are utilized. Sensors, buttons, and switches are popular input devices, whereas motors, screens, and LEDs are frequent output devices.
Examples of Embedded System
The common examples of this system are explained here.
Real-time embedded system:
- This category of embedded system is employed in different categories of serious conditions where certain control is needed
- Such as in military uses, medical devices and different types of machines control in the industry.
- The expert and manager of this system is very demanding jobs since they are highly professional and skilled and know how to manage the system
- Some parameters are taken into consideration during construing of this system such as circuit analysis, different designs, testing, etc.
- The component used in the system should work accurately for large time intervals to avoid any hindrance.
- Common applications of this system are regulation of heat, escalators controls of light.
- Robots are also assembled on the basis of this system.
- Different communication systems such as radio, satellite-based on the real-time embedded systems.
Standalone embedded system:
- This embedded system operation is based on its internal configuration since not linked to any other device or processor.
- Its data-taking type is an analog and digital signal.
- Its operation is such that obtained data in form of a digital or analog system is processed then transform in the output and display at the screen linked to it.
- The practical examples of standalone embedded systems are listed here.
- Audio players
Networked embedded system:
- Its configuration is such that linked to a string system that get the output from this system
- All the modules in the network embedded system link to the network through different linking devices.
- Commonly used networks are LAN or WAN. LAN covers the small area and WAN configure to a larger area.
- The connection among the devices linked to the system are wireless as well wired.
- It is now very commonly used due to its high-speed operation.
Small-scale embedded system:
- This network comprises of eight to sixteen-bit microcontrollers. So used to do the operation at a basic level.
- It comes with the RAM and ROM assembled on the system.
- Its operation is done through the use of a battery.
- Its main parts are editor, cross assembles, and IDE.
Medium-scale embedded system:
- In this embedded system their os controllers of sixteen to thirty-two bits that are used are also linked to RAM and ROM that is outer configured to it.
- It is used to perform operations of mid to complicated levels.
- The configuration between the hardware and software.
- Different types of programming languages are used to run this system such as C, Jave, C++ RTOS, IDE, etc.
- The designer of this system should also have the know-how of semaphores, queues, and pipes.
Sophisticated embedded system:
- These modules comprise of larger numbers of chips having thirty-two to sixty-four bits.
- It used to do numerous distributed operations at a high level.
- The design of hardware and software is complicated in this system.
|Industry/Application||Example of Embedded System|
|Consumer Electronics||Smartphones, smart TVs, gaming consoles|
|Medical Devices||Pacemakers, insulin pumps, blood glucose monitors|
|Automotive Systems||Engine control modules, anti-lock brake systems, airbag control units|
|Industrial Automation||Programmable logic controllers, motor control units, temperature sensors|
|Aerospace and Defense||Flight control systems, navigation systems, radar systems|
|Smart Home Systems||Smart thermostats, security cameras, voice assistants|