Hello, readers welcome to new post. We will learn Difference between SMTP and IMAP. These two modules are certified TCP/IP protocols used for get and sending an email. These protocols are considered as the necessary component to knowing about the currently used requirements.
SMTP is used to transmit the message from sending point to an email server and in a result carry the message among the 2 servers. While IMAP is required to do the retrieving the messages saved in the email services. In this post, we will discuss different points to find their basic differences.
Difference between SMTP and IMAP
What is SMTP
- The full form of SMTP is a simple mail transfer protocol is used as a TCP protocol for email sending.
- It is mostly employed by the users to send emails to servers to make communication among the servers.
- Two common types of SMTP servers first one is receivers and second one is relays.
- The relay used to accept emails from users’ end and transmit to the receiver end and receiver then sends to the mailbox after getting email from the relay servers
- it used for the configuration of the email gateway
- It offers different conditions to send the email that consists of users’ variations the email address
- it also helps to find the errors in the messages and resolve them
- It is used for Mail relaying that has email routing from one SMTP server to other
Working of SMTP
- These steps are involved in the working of SMTP
- SMTP users will link with the SMTP server in the first step
- Then email send through use of this link
- Then users and server end the connection
- There are text-based commands like Hello. MAIL FROM RCPT are used by the SMTP users to transmit the messages at the SMTP servers
- SMTP serves to give rely to received messages in the numeric coding like 250, 354, etc
- It any error occurs in communication this module finds that error and explain it
- it condition is easy to handle
- It makes sure the dependability of sending email messages
- It messages is not delivered SMTP server will again try to send it until the results get
- It has limitations.
- This server will reject messages that are larger in size.
- It is not a secure method
What Is IMAP?
- The full form of IMAP is the internet messages access protocol used to receive the email send by the server
- It helps to permit access to the email through numerous locations at a single time.
- It retains the email at the server when sending completion.
- it also does not download the complete email till the receiver opens it
- Nowadays the 4th module of IMAP is used and it is the basic protocol that used for email sending
How Does IMAP Work
- By using the IMAP protocol users link with the server and get the new messages and also save the messages in the cache as temporary files
- At the start data, sender info, and subject are downloaded from the server.
- The data will download when messages open. Therefore it is certain to get the email’s data not doing the download of connected files.
- If an email is updated, deleted or status changed from unread to read these changes will be shown on the server.
- Its local storage is limited
- it is also compatible to the keyboard-based mail
- It does not get access through numerous services at the same instant
- it not get affected by the damages in the machines since mail saves in the server
Advantages of IMAP
- Not affected by local machine failures since the emails are stored in the server.
- Can be accessed through multiple devices at the same time.
- It supports keyboard-based email searching.
- Local storage use is minimal.
Disadvantages of IMAP
- For more emails stores you must need a larger storage mailbox which makes it expensive
- For email uses there must need of an internet connection
SMTP VS IMAP
- For message retrieving IMAP is used and SMTP is used for data sending
- Users and server communication is done through IMAP and SMTP works among servers for data communication
- IMAPpermits users to configure emails in the servers and SMTP permits to configure emails on the users storage
That is all about the difference between SMTP and IMAP all parameters are explained. if you have any further queries ask in the comments.