Hello, readers welcome to the new post. In this post we will learn Difference Between Relay and Contactor. These two are commonly used devices in the electrical system to perform different processes like controlling other devices link to the system. Their operation is configured at the basic of power passing through these modules.
Relay is used at such circuits that operate less value current and contactors are preferred for larger value of current. In this post, we discuss their different parameters and make their comparison. So let get started.
Difference Between Relay and Contactor
What is Relay
- Relay is a category of switch that operates at electricity. Its structure is such that there is some input points where inputs are provided with that some terminal that is used to break and join the circuit whenever a fault occurs.
- The main connection points of this switch are connection maker, break connection.
- It is preferred for such circuits where a small level of power is used and a single signal regulating the different devices.
- The first time it was employed in telephone signal transmitting wire to enhance the level of some distance.
- These switches are also work in the computer and phones exchanges to do logical functions.
- It is employed where the current value is ten or less than ten amperes.
- Its purchasing prices are less than contactor.
- In older relays, there is an electromagnet used to break the circuit while in current level devices there is automatic system is employed to break the circuit like in a solid-state relay.
- Relay is mostly used to control the overloaded conditions of the system and the relay perform this process called protective relay
- It is employed for normally closed and normally open components of the system.
What is COntactor
- It is an electrical operated which that used to control the voltage value of up to thousand volts.
- Its input volts are normally twenty volts to thirty volts.
- These are used to make direct links to loads using a larger current than a relay.
- Such modules in a system having a current value of larger than fifteen amperes are known as contactors.
- These modules with controlling the circuit also decrease the arc generated in the circuit due to fault.
- These devices are not used to control the short circuit current that normally controls by the breaker.
- In form of an ac circuit, there is a rating of contactors is some ampers to thousands of ampers and in form of dc circuit, there is a rating is from twenty Volts DC to Kilovolts.
- These switches are employed in motors heating process and capacitors banks.
- There are three main terminals of this switch. The first one is power, the second one is auxiliary and the third one is spring.
- There is an electromagnet is used to make connections during faults.
That is the detailed post Difference Between Relay and Contactor. I have both devices with the details. Still have any issue to understand please let me know. I will solve all your problems. Thanks for reading see you in the next post have a good day.
Special offer: $2 for 1-8 layer PCBs
Free SMT Assembly Monthly
New arrival for Aluminum boards, only $2