Hello, readers welcome to new post. Here we will discuss Difference Between Primary and Secondary Memory. There are 2 main types of memory used in computer systems. The basic difference between these memory units is that primary memory is the main memory of PCB that stores data and information. While secondary memory is auxiliary memory for data storing.
The memory unit that is exist in the internal circuit of a PC is called primary memory and outer memory is called secondary memory. In this post, we will discuss these two memory types with detail and their basic differences. SO let’s get started.
Difference Between Primary and Secondary Memory
What is Primary Memory
- The primary memory unit is considered as the main memory unit of the system. Since it exist in the internal circuit of computer so access of data is high speed from this memory unit
- This memory is volatile which means data will losses when the power is off from it.
- Primary memory is more expensive than secondary memory unit. Its storage range is less than the secondary memory unit
Types of Primary Memory
- There are two main types of primary memory.
- Ram stands for random access memory called main memory of the computer. It is also named as temporary memory or cache memory. it is volatile memory data lost when power is not connected.
- It is a permanent memory unit called read-only memory. It is nonvolatile memory unit stores data when power is not connected. The creator of this device decides the values of this unit and it stores the data permanently and not reset by the users
What is Secondary Memory
- Every category of strong device that has the ability to store more data is called secondary memory unit. Their data accessing speed is less than the primary memory unit
- These units have a larger capacity to store data in GB to TB. These units called backup and mass storage
- The computer sends the commands and data among the RAM and secondary storage
- Then the primary memory is slow less expensive and stores larger data
- It not directly accessed by the processor
- can access through output and input channel
- It ahs the ability to transfer data as well have optical and magnetic types of memory
Secondary Memory Types
- The main types of Secondary memory are
- Magnetic Tape
- Optical Drivers
- Mass Storage devices
- magnetic tape: They have the ability to store larger quantity data and are used as a backup module and called serial access storage
- USB: It is a commonly used module and easy to write and removable has larger size
- Optical Drivers: It uses lasers for reading the data and CD, and DVD are its example
- SSD: Stands for solid-state drivers which give the constant value of flash memory faster than hard drivers
That is all about the Difference Between Primary and Secondary Memory all details has been explained if you have any further query ask in the comments. THanks for reading have a good day see your next post.