Hello, readers welcome to the new post. We will discuss Difference between pin photodiode and avalanche photodiode. Diode is a device that is used as a rectifier in electronic circuits. The diode has two pins anode and a cathode and consists of P and N regions that make the PN junction.
There are different types of diodes in this post we make a comparison between pin and avalanche diode and finds their differences. So let’s get started.
What is Pin Photodiode
- Pin diode is belonged to photodetectors and has the ability to transform light signals in electrical signals. It was first time used in 1950 and comes with three layers of structure.
- It has p region , intrinsic regional and N layer. Its P and N layers aer largely doped then the normal diode doping. The area of the intrinsic region is larger than the PN junction region
- The working of PN photodiode is such that gets the reverse biased volts and charge region cover the intrinsic area of diode.
- Pairs of electrons and holes are created in charge area by getting the photon.
- The switching speed of diode is in inverse relation. The switching speed can be increased through using the minority carriers.
- In case of photodetector circuits that needed good speed of response depletion region area must be as large so smaller minority will increases.
- An Avalanche photodiode is different from an avalanche diode and it is a photodetector that can transform a signal in an electric signal.
- The structure of the avalanche photodiode is like the PIN photodiode. There are three regions that exist in the PIN photodiode P, intrinsic and N.
- The difference is that reverse biased volts are high to results for ionization. For the case of silicon, there is one hundred to two hundred volts are needed. First of all electron and hole, pairs are produced through light absorption.
- In result, more electrons and hole pairs are created due to ionization.
- PIN diodes are used in radio frequency applications that have less value of capacitance. Its switching and change in resistance parameters help to use for switching and variable attenuator circuits.
Pin Photodiode vs Avalanche Photodiode
- For pin diode, there is not high-intensity electric field region but the avalanche has a high-intensity field region
- Responsiveness of avalanche diode is high
- The noise of the avalanche photodiode is high than pin photodiode
- The response time of the pin diode is half then the avalanche diode
Advantages and Disadvantages of PIN Photodiode
- The main benefits is that it has a high-frequency response and a larger than cadmium sulfide photodetector
- It is used for electronic devices since has a time response in ns and is also less costly
- it has high value of spectral response and has the ability to process smaller signal
- Its disadvantage is that it needs a larger reverse biased for an operation that decreases the signal-noise ratio
How does avalanche photodiode work?
- Avalanche photodiode work in a reverse-biased state at a voltage close to breakdown volts. There are a high number of electron and hole pairs created for incident phones in the depletion region.
What is meant by avalanche photodiode?
- The avalanche photodiode is high sensitive semiconductor photodiode detector that shows a photoelectric effect to transform light in the electricity
Which material is used in the avalanche photodiode?
- The material used in this photodiode is important for the wavelength of light that is absorbed by the component. Silicon-based components are used for 450nm to 110nm range while indium gallium arsenide photodiodes used for high wavelength
PIn Photodiode Application
- It is used for the detection of laser pulses high-speed switching and in logic circuits since having the feature of weak strength signal detection
How does PIN photodiode work?
- It operates through the application of reverse biased voltages in results space charge area covered through the intrinsic region. Electron hole pairs are produced in the charge area through the absorption of a photon
Advantages and Disadvantages of Avalanche Photodiode
- It has the ability to detect weak signals since have a high current gain bandwidth
- Its structure is complex precautions must be taken across the junction. The junction must be in uniform and a guard ring is used to protect the diode from edge breakdown
Avalanche Photodiode Applications
- It is used in fiber optics systems since has features to measure low signals. The accurately designed silicon avalanche photodiode gives the value of response time of about one nanosecond
That is all about the Difference between pin photodiode and avalanche photodiode all details has explained if you have any queries ask in the comments. Thanks for reading have a good day.