Hello, friends, I hope you all are doing great. In today’s tutorial, we will discuss the Difference Between Optical fiber and Coaxial Cable. There are 2 two commonly used types of transmission media used to transmit a signal which is optical fiber and coaxial cable. The basic difference among them is that optical fiber is used to the transmission of the optical signals and coaxial cable is used to transmit electrical signals.
In today’s post, we will have a detailed look at both optical fiber and coaxial cable and compare them to find their differences. So let’s get started with Difference Between Optical fiber and Coaxial Cable.
Difference Between Optical fiber and Coaxial Cable
- It is flexible and tranfparrernt created thgootuh use of glass and has dia close ot hair.
- It used in signal tranfmission in telecommunication systems.
- It can send data of larger bandwidhta to larger distances
- The signal transmitted through the optical fiber is not affected by the exterior magnetic field.
- The installation process of optical fiber is difficult than the coaxial cable.
- Its efficiency is large.
- Its price is high.
- This technique provides high security of transmission.
- It provides less attenuation process.
- The diameter of optical fiber is less and weight is also less.
- The use of fiber in the system in palce of metallic wire decreases the losses with that also reduces the interference.
- It used in diffent lighting system and imaging process lke fiberscope.
- Its practical example re fiber lasrs and fiber optics sensores
- The data transmission speed of this medium is high.
- It shows high immunity from the noise.
- The common losses that occur in the optical fiber are Dispersion, bending, absorption, and attenuation.
- Its data transmission rate is two gigabytes per second.
- The bending of optical fiber disturbs the sending signal.
- It belongs to the family of cable that is created through use of conductor having cover about it.
- The word coaxial indicates that internal conductor and external protection with layer
- It used to transmit the signal of large freqeucnt having less power losses.
- It used in different applications like telephones , internet servies, tV and for linking of radio signal
- It was first time installed in 1858
- Its structure is such that inner condtor created with solid material noramally silver plated material is used
- It used for the transmission of electrical signals.
- It is constructed with metallic elements like copper and plastic.
- The cable used for this process large diameter and heavyweight.
- It can send large bandwidth of data.
- The data transmission rate for this cable is 44.736 Mbps.
- It provides less noise immunity.
- The signal transmitted through the coaxial cable is affected by the exterior magnetic field.
- Its installation process is easy.
- It can transmit a signal to a small distance.
- Its efficiency is less than the optical fiber.
- Its price is less than the optical fiber.
- It does not provide security to the transmitted signal
- Bending of the cable can disturb the signal transmitted.
Advantage of Optical Fiber
- These are some benefits of optical fiber.
- The signal can be transmitted through the optical fiber with less attenuation.
- Fiber optic has larger bandwidth
- It has a high data transmission speed.
- In fiber optics signal is transmitted through the light so noise is not create any problem.
The disadvantage of Optical fiber
- The signal transmission through optical fiber is expensive.
- The installation process is difficult and if any fault occurs than it is difficult to trace and resolve it.
- The optic fiber is very delicate and can damage with any little force.
Advantage of Coaxial Cable
- The frequency features of coaxial cable is better than the twisted pair cable.
- Due to the concentric structure of cable it is less chance of crosstalk and interference.
- It is less expensive than optical fiber.
The disadvantage of Coaxial Cable
- For signal transmission of long-distance, there is a need of repeater at one kilometer of distance.
That is a detailed post about difference between the coaxial cable and optical fiber. If you have any query ask in comments. Thanks for reading. Have a good day