Hello fellows, I hope you all are doing great. In today’s tutorial, we will have a look at Difference Between Leading and Lagging Power Factor. In AC power system the 2 most important parameters which are related to the power factor are lagging and leading power factors. the leading power factor current leads the voltage. While for lagging power factor current lags the applied voltage. The circuit that has to lead and lagging power factor depends on the load connected.
Before discussing lagging and leading power factors we must know about power factors. It is a very important parameter of an electrical power system. It is a dimensionless quantity It is explanations of energy. Its value lies in form of a percentage if the percentage is less P.F is less.Its is ratio of operating power to apparent power. Apparent power is called power demand for laod. It is multiple of volts and ampere its units is KVA
In the case of direct current circuitry, we can get the power of any circuitry through the multiple of voltmeter and ammeter reading. .It exits in both single and 3 phase circuits.But for ac circuitry products of these two parameters give only apparent power not the actual powerIt has no dimensions. Its value lies between plus minus and positive minusHence in ac circuitry, the net power given to circuitry which is apparent power is not only used through the circuitry. The power used by the circuit is called actual power in simple words power factor is the cosine of phase difference among voltage current. Its formula is power factor=Actual power/Apparent power. In today’s post, we will have a detailed look at the comparison among lagging and leading power factor and find their differences. So let’s get started with the Difference Between Leading and Lagging Power Factors.
Difference Between Leading and Lagging Power Factor
Leading Power Factor
- For this power factor current flowing through the load lead the voltage given to the load.
- Leading power factors is exits for the capacitive load connected with the circuitry.
- If the leading power factor to be corrected of the system then connected the inductive load in the system.
- The value of leading power factor lies between -1 to zero.
- Its reactive component is negative.
- The load which has leading power factors are capacitive load
motors, capacitor, radio circuitry.
Lagging Power Factor
- In lagging power factor load current lags the applied voltage.
- The inductive load connected with the circuitry has lagging power factor.
- Examples of lagging power factor are inductive load like an induction motor, generator, relays, etc.
- The correction of lagging power can be done with the use of capacitive load.
- Its value is between zero and one.
- Its reactive element is positive.
Lagging Power Factor Vs Leading Power Factor
- If the circuit has a such load that the load current lags the voltage then that load will have a lagging power factor and if the load current is leading the volts then that system will have a leading power factor
- Inductive loads like solenoids and induction motors have a lagging power factor and capacitive loads have a leading power factor
- -1 to 0 is the value of the lagging power factor and the leading power factor has 0 to 1
- For the leading power factor phase angle of the current is positive then voltage and for lagging, power factor phase angle is negative w.r.t to the phase angle of volts
- Leading power factors have positive reactive elements and lagging power factors have negative
- In the case of leading power factors loads absorbed leading reactive power or provides the lagging reactive power and for the lagging power factor loads absorbed the lagging reactive power
- To improve the lagging power factor capacitive load connected to the circuit and for improvement of leading power factor inductive load like induction motor connected
- Examples of lagging factor loads are inductors, induction motors, relay transformers, and leading power factors loads are synchronous motors, capacitors, etc
That is a detailed post about the difference between leading and lagging power factor. If you have any query ask in the comments. Thanks for reading. Have a good day.