Hello, friends, I hope you all are doing great. In today’s tutorial, we will discuss the Difference Between Avalanche & Zener Breakdown. The basic difference between avalanche and Zener breakdown is that avalanche breakdown occurs when electrons collide with each other while Zener breakdown occurs due to the high electrical field. The charge carrier exists in the diode gets heat from the surrounding area at room temperature. After the application of reverse-biased voltage about the junction of diode then K.E of electrons rises and they move with the large speed.
During their motion, they collided with the other atoms and generates free electrons due to these free electrons’ reverse current flows. Due to this reverse current avalanche breakdown phenomena occurs. But Zener breakdown exits in such diode that is highly doped. When the electrical voltage is given to the diode electrons move towards the junction. Due to that small value reverse current flows. When crossing of electrons to the junction increases over the rated capacity of diode then avalanche breakdown exits that damage the junction of the diode. In today’s post, we will have a detailed look at both avalanche and Zener breakdown with the detailed and compare them to find their differences. So let’s get started with Difference Between Avalanche & Zener Breakdown.
qDifference Between Avalanche & Zener Breakdown
- It process that exists in both semocndcutor and insulators. Due to this process very high current passes in the material that are insulators.
- It also called electrons avalanche.
- It done due to the charge carries exist in the transition area of material and link to external supply than free electrons will move.
- Currnet will flow in differnt substances if they have free charges either electornns or holes.
- In semicondutr these two charg carrier helps to flow of currrent.
- The lossly connected electorns in the reveerse biased state can cause creaion of electorns hole pari when left its place.
- In cas oe field given to materail electorns goes to the psotive side and hols to negative.
- The enerfy given to the free electorsn will relase more elecrons from tjhe material aandn cuase to make avalache.
- That process cause the flarger aprt of device to conduct current
- Due to high voltte losses curent cause to make heat in the materail. In reverse bisaed state electorns ucase teh breakedown to large current
- The value of reverse-biased potential is larger for this avalanche.
- The temperature coefficient is positive.
- Due to the collision of electrons with the ionization of the atom occurs.
- The value of breakdown voltage is in direct relation with the temperature.When a breakdown occurs the value of voltage does not remain constant.
- The phenomena in which electrons from the valance band of p-type material cross the potential barrier and combine the conduction band of partially filled n substance is called Zener breakdown.
- Zener dioe faces zener effect is catagory of breeakdown that was given by Melvin zener.
- It work in reverse biased state when field is applied to the diode and free electorns move from valence to condtion band of materail cause the current flow due to minorrty charges
- In reveres biase state depltion region rises that resuls in incremtn of field abotu the junction.
- Due to field abotu the materail results in freee charge carries.
- Due to incremtn in free carries curent will flow with high value
- In avalnche break dwon monory electorns goes to transitioon area creatd throgu field and make new electrons holes pairs
- The zener factor can be exist with teh avalnce fact.
- The working volts less than five volts fro zerner avalcne and for avalance larger than five volts.
- The doping level for Zener breakdown is larger than the avalanche breakdown.
- The value of reverse-biased voltage is less for this breakdown.
- When a breakdown occurs the value of voltage remains constant.
- The temperature coefficient is negative
- Due to electrical field ionization occurs in this phenomenon.
- The breakdown voltage is in inverse relation with the temperature.
That is all about the difference between avalanche and Zener breakdown. If you have any query ask in comments. Thanks for reading.